Para 3 FRN observation and question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bsman

Para 3 FRN observation and question

Post by bsman »

Long-time lurker, first time poster: I've been EDCing a Para 3 FRN since the end of April, when they became available and I ordered one. I have found it to be an excellent everyday knife, and I love the wire clip that allows me to carry it much more discretely than my Paramilitary 2 - which isn't really compatible with business attire. I have also been pleasantly surprised by the BD1N steel - it came with - and takes - a wicked edge. It may not stay sharp for as long as, say an Elmax blade, but it zips through cardboard boxes with ease, and is very simple and quick to resharpen (I use a Workshop guided system).

However, I do have to note one thing: I am not loving that tip-up is the only option. Twice now, I have stuck a hand into my pocket, only to get stabbed in the finger, because the blade has opened slightly. I tightened up the two screws on each side of the pivot point, but I have to say I'm a bit leery now of the knife. Just wondering if anybody else has had this issue, and if it would make sense to put a bit of locktite on each of the pivot screws, of if that would mess up the mechanism?
foofie

Re: Para 3 FRN observation and question

Post by foofie »

Welcome to the forum.

I've been carrying my para3 LW for a couple weeks now (since I got it), and have not had any issues with a weak detent or the blade opening. I have carried other para3s for at least a year, and never had issue with those either (all tip up).

One common suggestion I have seen is to make sure the blade and especially the detent is clean. Tightening the pivot is fine - the locktite should only be necessary if you notice it loosening? I do use locktite on my pivots anyway. The pivots come from the factory with some locktite, so adding a bit will not mess up the mechanism.

There are a couple threads on ways to increase your detent if it is still a concern?
Tims

Post by Tims »

bsman wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:49 am
Long-time lurker, first time poster: I've been EDCing a Para 3 FRN since the end of April, when they became available and I ordered one. I have found it to be an excellent everyday knife, and I love the wire clip that allows me to carry it much more discretely than my Paramilitary 2 - which isn't really compatible with business attire. I have also been pleasantly surprised by the BD1N steel - it came with - and takes - a wicked edge. It may not stay sharp for as long as, say an Elmax blade, but it zips through cardboard boxes with ease, and is very simple and quick to resharpen (I use a Workshop guided system).

However, I do have to note one thing: I am not loving that tip-up is the only option. Twice now, I have stuck a hand into my pocket, only to get stabbed in the finger, because the blade has opened slightly. I tightened up the two screws on each side of the pivot point, but I have to say I'm a bit leery now of the knife. Just wondering if anybody else has had this issue, and if it would make sense to put a bit of locktite on each of the pivot screws, of if that would mess up the mechanism?
G’day Bsman. When your para 3 is clipped to your pocket, is the spine of the blade resting against the edge of your pocket? If not, try swapping the clip to the other side of the knife so when you clip it to your pocket the blade is held closed by your pocket.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Tims wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:56 pm
bsman wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:49 am

G’day Bsman. When your para 3 is clipped to your pocket, is the spine of the blade resting against the edge of your pocket? If not, try swapping the clip to the other side of the knife so when you clip it to your pocket the blade is held closed by your pocket.
This right here.
I had that issue when i switched my clip around on my comp lock lil native.
Changed it back and never stabbed my hand again
araneae

Post by araneae »

The knife shouldn't be opening in your pocket. If this is happening consistently, send it in.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’m nit going to say anything :p
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve been carrying my new to me cruwear military in my back pocket, spine to the edge of the pocket. Several times now I’ve tried to pull the knife and the jimped thumb ramp binds the pocket and my fingers slip off the knife. I actually have to pull the knife out of the corner a bit to extract it. I really wish I could carry it tip up, but there is no steel to thread screws into on the hind end of the knife.

I’ve never had any issue with a para3 opening in the pocket, but I don’t have the LW model.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bsman,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:00 pm
I’ve been carrying my new to me cruwear military in my back pocket, spine to the edge of the pocket. Several times now I’ve tried to pull the knife and the jimped thumb ramp binds the pocket and my fingers slip off the knife. I actually have to pull the knife out of the corner a bit to extract it. I really wish I could carry it tip up, but there is no steel to thread screws into on the hind end of the knife.

I’ve never had any issue with a para3 opening in the pocket, but I don’t have the LW model.
If you rotate the Millie towards your butt before drawing it, the jimping won't catch as often. Used to run into the same issue when I carried Millies and that was my fix.
:unicorn
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Yep. A “j” stroke draw :p
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Mine also opened slightly in my pocket a few times. I sold it and disclosed the fact that it did this to the buyer. I'll buy the first sprint/exclusive that comes out and see if this was a lemon of a knife or if it is a problem with the model in general. I definitely wasn't comfortable carrying the one I had. I thought about sending it in to warranty to look at, but I figured there are supposedly 20+ exclusives coming out in the Para 3 LW so I can try again soon.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I have only owned para 2's but i always carried them tip down. Better ergos and no opening in the pocket. Most people in the knife world seem to be tip up only. To me it totally depends on the model. Ergos are important.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:24 am
I’m nit going to say anything :p
We know what you're thinking :D

But you know, you can't have ALL the knives in backlock.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:43 am

Canoe-guy? :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:08 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:43 am

Canoe-guy? :rolleyes:
Certainly!
carrot

Post by carrot »

Has anybody developed vertical blade play on theirs?
Username827

Post by Username827 »

Never had a problem with mine in terms of blade play or the blade opening in my pocket. I have been really impressed with the model so far. Whatever the handles are made out is holding up surprisingly well. Have a great day!