POLL: Who´d like to see a knife along the lines of the Caribbean, but with a BACKLOCK?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Caribbean(-like) BACKLOCK knife (edge all the way back to the handle, wide and neutral handle..)?

- No, I am not interested in such a (backlock-) model
32%
- Yes, I´d like to see such a model in linered G10
13%
- yes, I´d like to see such a model in linerless G10
19%
- Yes, I´d like to see such a model in linered FRN
11%
- Yes, I´d like to see such a model in linerless FRN
21%
- Yes, I´d like to see such a model in another handle configuration (specify, if you like)
3%

Total votes: 105

vivi

Re: POLL: Who´d like to see a knife along the lines of the Caribbean, but with a BACKLOCK?

Post by vivi »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:09 pm
I’m a simpleton and see things in black and white. There’s very little, if any grey in my world. To that end I believe, for example, a Back Lock Military with nine redundant holes in the scales
That seems like a very narrow viewpoint. You prefer X clip position so accomodating other preferences is pointless?
:unicorn
Bloke

Re: POLL: Who´d like to see a knife along the lines of the Caribbean, but with a BACKLOCK?

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:14 pm
Bloke wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:09 pm
I’m a simpleton and see things in black and white. There’s very little, if any grey in my world. To that end I believe, for example, a Back Lock Military with nine redundant holes in the scales
That seems like a very narrow viewpoint. You prefer X clip position so accomodating other preferences is pointless?
Unfortunately, it obviously (now) may be interpreted that way but the example per se was only meant to highlight the difference between an existing model without redundant clip screw holes and a new model with, is all.

For what it's worth, and something I've said more than once, I'm far from rigid in the tip up/down debate and carry some knives tip up and others down and wouldn't like a knife any more or any less just because of clip orientation. I just find redundant holes in scales or anything else for that matter unsightly and could happily live without them.

That said it doesn't worry me enough to stop me buying knifes with redundant clip screw holes. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ok... since in a current Caribbean thread two fellow forum members mentioned they´d really love to own that model,if it did not have a compression lock (and I feel like this too), I may be so bold and revive this poll I started some month ago... maybe new members or people who missed it, would like to vote and/or comment.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The logical next step is a Lightweight FRN back lock version. It's too great a design to not expand upon.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:33 pm
The logical next step is a Lightweight FRN back lock version. It's too great a design to not expand upon.
Yes, that would be the best version I can imagine... I have one option for linered FRN and one for unlinered FRN in the poll!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:

That would be a great knife there. I love the choil-less designs of the Carribean and Tenacious series, but prefer an FRN backlock most of the time. Carribean Backlock LW for the win!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
I'd be in for at least 2 or 3. :cool:
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Yes please. I would be all over it. When is the caribbean xl coming out? Could be cool to test out the larger version as a backlock.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

On CBBL knives the clips are tip up only because tip down the clip would interfere with the lock operation. Bear with me here. On a tip-up only knife, using the old barrel bolt clip fastening method has the advantage of eliminating all redundant clip holes.

Back on topic, I believe it was Lance making the point that there are safety concerns with a back lock whose edge extends all the way to the handle, like the Tenacious or the Caribbean. With a backlock, it’s nice to have a choil or ricasso that, when closing, lands safely on your finger at the half stop position.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Bill1170 wrote: On CBBL knives the clips are tip up only because tip down the clip would interfere with the lock operation. Bear with me here. On a tip-up only knife, using the old barrel bolt clip fastening method has the advantage of eliminating all redundant clip holes.

Back on topic, I believe it was Lance making the point that there are safety concerns with a back lock whose edge extends all the way to the handle, like the Tenacious or the Caribbean. With a backlock, it’s nice to have a choil or ricasso that, when closing, lands safely on your finger at the half stop position.
I talked about that same thing with Wartstein in another thread not long ago. I was just sort of assuming spyderco would make it work. Since they really dont make any backlock that doesnt have that safety feature.
So I guess the title of the thread is appropriate as it says a knife along the lines of the caribbean. My suggestion for the caribbean xl may not be a good one however. Not if it requires some part of the knife to be redesigned.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Coffeetron

Post by Coffeetron »

My 2c. I had the chance to play with a caribbean and was positively surprised about fit and finish and design.

What I would change:

make the blade longer by 10mm
straight spine for aesthetic reasons
remove finger guards
titanium scales with the same pattern as G10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:50 pm
On CBBL knives the clips are tip up only because tip down the clip would interfere with the lock operation. Bear with me here. On a tip-up only knife, using the old barrel bolt clip fastening method has the advantage of eliminating all redundant clip holes.

It can be sorted out to work the same way, it's all about pivot placement. When I drop closed my Centofante, the kick drops down and hits my finger the same as it would on a Delica, but when the blade is opened the handle hides the the kick and positions your grip close to the edge. I don't see why the Caribbean can't be done the same way with a hidden kick that drops down onto your fingers for safety.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I’m even more fine with a ricasso. I like to drop the blade on my finger. Actually, since I’m nitpicking, I’d prefer a 3” blade.
- best wishes, Jazz.
vivi

Post by vivi »

There's always methods #2 & #3, worth trying. Might not work for every hand size and knife combo, but give it a go.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:28 pm
There's always methods #2 & #3, worth trying. Might not work for every hand size and knife combo, but give it a go.

Yeah, I use #1 exclusively so I would need to practice #2 and #3.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:32 pm
Vivi wrote:

I'm not sure why or when I switched to #2. I used to do #1, and before that I did the old close it on my leg method. At some point I started doing #2 and ever since anything else feels funny, unless its a knife with a thumbstud. I still use #1 for Voyagers etc.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Evil D wrote:
Oh yeah baby. In for at least one.
I kid you not, it this knife happened, I would not wait a second.
And if anyone could make backlock without much of a ricasso, it's Sal and crew (use of internal stop pin with small partial liners would be logical).
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:32 pm
Vivi wrote:

I may add #4 and #5 (links below, shown one time slow, two times normal speed). Though except concerning the method where you operate the lock with the index finger (Vivis Vid), it's more like that you can start any "method" by either dropping (the Ricasso/choil) on your index finger, or pulling the blade the first psrt of the way with your index finger
And then continue with any "method" you choose

https://streamable.com/myzlt

https://streamable.com/bhhzs
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

I voted that I'd like to see linerless with FRN or G10 but honestly the Siren is going to tick most of the boxes for me.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:25 pm
I voted that I'd like to see linerless with FRN or G10 but honestly the Siren is going to tick most of the boxes for me.
Yes, the Siren will be just great and I am very much looking forward to it!

Still: I think there should be more/some backlock models with the edge all the way back to the handle (like the Caribbean)
The Siren has a Ricasso, which I also like, but it's not a "backlock Caribbean"