Today I had a HUGE surprise with my Lil'Native... you were so right Doc !

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Re: Today I had a HUGE surprise with my Lil'Native... you were so right Doc !

Post by gull wing »

I'd like to get the Lil Native in compression lock feature. Nice size!
Is another steel perhaps, in the plans of the powers that be?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

James Y wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:30 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:19 am
It is so funny, but the native 5 is not my favorite knife in this size range. But I really do like the lil native quite a bit.

Somehow the N5 doesn’t fit my hand very well. At least as compared to a Delica.
I have similar feelings about the Native 5. It feels like it wants to force my hand to grip it in a certain way, more than any other knife I own.

I am becoming sort of interested in the lil Native for a smaller knife for possible areas with greater blade length restrictions.

IIRC, there were some people saying that the lil Native's tip didn't go deep enough into the handle when closed. Is that still the case?

Jim
It’s certainly not true with my knife. I’ve only read one person with that issue and have not seen the knife itself. Fear not.

For extreme light weight and still usable, the Dragonfly gets the nod. But for a small all around pocket knife tge Lil Native is the way to go.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

IMO the strong suit of the Dfly is its light weight, especially the 1.2 ounce FRN model, which is half the weight of the Lil Native. My SB sprint has a near permanent place, clipped in the inner edge of my shirt pocket. This sort of puts it in a separate category from the Lil Native... so I'm thinking of carrying the Lil as a 2nd knife and bumping my SB sprint Dfly up to 3rd. (Having trouble making a user out of my new red DLC Lil.}

I agree about the Dfly ergos, empty space under middle & ring fingers, etc, but it fits well with index finger on top of the blade and for pull cuts. Also OK with behind the choil grip. It's great to have it easily accessible from an upper pocket, for opening mail, trimming threads, and when it's inconvenient to get to your pants pocket, you know, when you're driving, watching an opera, doing the alligator low crawl inside an air-conditioning duct, working inside a jet engine, etc ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

gull wing wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:38 am
I'd like to get the Lil Native in compression lock feature. Nice size!
Is another steel perhaps, in the plans of the powers that be?
There's already been the St. Nick's exclusive in red G10 with black DLC coated 4V blade. That dropped last week and the run of just under 400 pieces sold out in minutes. I'd be surprised if we don't see blurple G10 and S110V blade at some point, since that seems to be a standard variant for all the Golden made models. I'd also be equally surprised if other retailers don't have exclusives lined up, that are just waiting for a production slot from Spyderco.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I prefer the Dfly, but I also took the clip off and let it float in RFP. The thinness and weight make me have to often check that I haven’t lost it. Mine is a HAP 40 that was a gift from a fellow forumite here in Birmingham. I should say thanks again to that person, I have edc that knife M-F for about 3-4 years now
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:09 pm
James Y wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:30 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:19 am
It is so funny, but the native 5 is not my favorite knife in this size range. But I really do like the lil native quite a bit.

Somehow the N5 doesn’t fit my hand very well. At least as compared to a Delica.
I have similar feelings about the Native 5. It feels like it wants to force my hand to grip it in a certain way, more than any other knife I own.

I am becoming sort of interested in the lil Native for a smaller knife for possible areas with greater blade length restrictions.

IIRC, there were some people saying that the lil Native's tip didn't go deep enough into the handle when closed. Is that still the case?

Jim
It’s certainly not true with my knife. I’ve only read one person with that issue and have not seen the knife itself. Fear not.

For extreme light weight and still usable, the Dragonfly gets the nod. But for a small all around pocket knife tge Lil Native is the way to go.
Thanks, Doc Dan. If I do end up getting a Lil Native, it will be the lockback version. I like compression locks, but IMO this knife may be too small for that. Not to mention the compression lock version has the wire clip, which I dislike.

Jim
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:41 pm
I prefer the Dfly, but I also took the clip off and let it float in RFP. The thinness and weight make me have to often check that I haven’t lost it. Mine is a HAP 40 that was a gift from a fellow forumite here in Birmingham. I should say thanks again to that person, I have edc that knife M-F for about 3-4 years now
We Alabamians are like that. I’m glad someone gifted you. I take the clips off and drop my DF in my pocket as well.i am a product of my upbringing, I guess. Growing up, we boys all had pocket knives in our rfp .

Right now I am carrying a DF Salt in my pajama pocket. Break a shoulder and hand and you will know why I dress that way for now.

Still, using the LN quite a lot. It’s okay to carry two knives, I think.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:04 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
We Alabamians are like that. I’m glad someone gifted you. I take the clips off and drop my DF in my pocket as well.i am a product of my upbringing, I guess. Growing up, we boys all had pocket knives in our rfp .

Right now I am carrying a DF Salt in my pajama pocket. Break a shoulder and hand and you will know why I dress that way for now.

Maybe there is something strange about us Alabama boys. I'm carrying a Manix2 52100 in my pajama pocket right now and I haven't even broken anything.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

DougC-3 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:39 am
Doc Dan wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:

Maybe there is something strange about us Alabama boys. I'm carrying a Manix2 52100 in my pajama pocket right now and I haven't even broken anything.
Hahaha :D :D :D :D I did not want to admit I have a Manix 2LW in the waistband.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:27 am
DougC-3 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:

Ha ha! I usually only carry one in my PJs. Most of my nightmares haven't been very heavily armed lately :D Hand and shoulder sounds like a bad combination to break. What condition is the other guy in? ;)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

DougC-3 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:37 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:27 am
DougC-3 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Ha ha! I usually only carry one in my PJs. Most of my nightmares haven't been very heavily armed lately :D Hand and shoulder sounds like a bad combination to break. What condition is the other guy in? ;)
:D :D :D

Really, I had it because it is easy to use one handed and I had some rope on the blinds outside I needed to cut and the M2 makes it easier to do. I don’t walk around like a pirate, normally.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:54 am
elena86 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:39 am
This morning I received a few large packages and I decided to use my backlock Lil'Native in the opening process. The cardboard was quite thick but when I started to gut those packages the Lil' angry elf went berserk ... and I was blown away ... it just glided through that double corrugated cardboard like nobody's business... the more I was cutting the more I was liking the little sucker. So... I decided to put it to the proof ... enough to say I went to town and cut all sort of materials and even did some food prep and in the end a dangerous thought started to cross my mind: the backlock Lil' Native might put an end to my quest for the perfect urban do-it-all locking folder.It's fast in hand, it fits my hand like a glove, it's comfortable in a multitude of grips and that sturdy sub 2,5 inch blade is perfect for city carry but not only . Will it replace my beloved K390 Urban ? I doubt, but to each his own .... What can I say ... you were so **** right Doc ;) Now, I hope and pray the next Lil'Native sprints and exclusives will not only be in the comp lock variant. I allready dream of a smooth G10 Cruwear Lil'Native ... backlock of course ;) Bring'em :eek:
Yeah, for non locking the k390 Urban is king. But that Lil Native is much better than I thought it would ever be. Fir a locking pocket knife it is a great choice.

I liked my first Lil' Native so much that I decided to purchase a backup and it arrived today. Well, when I opened the package I had another pleasent surprise ... the blade finish is satin not bead blasted as the previous one. Imagine that ! I am now a happy camper because I hate that bead blasted finish. It came perfectly sharpened with equal symmetrical cutting bevels on both sides and for that I have to be thankful to the gracious DLT staff whom I asked to inspect the blade of my knife before dispatch(I am quite OCD). This Lil'Native went straight to my watch pocket and it will stay there until my beloved K390 Urban decides to kick his a$$ :D
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:03 am
Doc Dan wrote:
elena86 wrote:
This morning I received a few large packages and I decided to use my backlock Lil'Native in the opening process. The cardboard was quite thick but when I started to gut those packages the Lil' angry elf went berserk ... and I was blown away ... it just glided through that double corrugated cardboard like nobody's business... the more I was cutting the more I was liking the little sucker. So... I decided to put it to the proof ... enough to say I went to town and cut all sort of materials and even did some food prep and in the end a dangerous thought started to cross my mind: the backlock Lil' Native might put an end to my quest for the perfect urban do-it-all locking folder.It's fast in hand, it fits my hand like a glove, it's comfortable in a multitude of grips and that sturdy sub 2,5 inch blade is perfect for city carry but not only . Will it replace my beloved K390 Urban ? I doubt, but to each his own .... What can I say ... you were so **** right Doc ;) Now, I hope and pray the next Lil'Native sprints and exclusives will not only be in the comp lock variant. I allready dream of a smooth G10 Cruwear Lil'Native ... backlock of course ;) Bring'em :eek:
Yeah, for non locking the k390 Urban is king. But that Lil Native is much better than I thought it would ever be. Fir a locking pocket knife it is a great choice.

I liked my first Lil' Native so much that I decided to purchase a backup and it arrived today. Well, when I opened the package I had another pleasent surprise ... the blade finish is satin not bead blasted as the previous one. Imagine that ! I am now a happy camper because I hate that bead blasted finish. It came perfectly sharpened with equal symmetrical cutting bevels on both sides and for that I have to be thankful to the gracious DLT staff whom I asked to inspect the blade of my knife before dispatch(I am quite OCD). This Lil'Native went straight to my watch pocket and it will stay there until my beloved K390 Urban decides to kick his a$$ :D
That’s great! Golden is killing it with the quality and designs of knives they produce.

Maybe I need a backup, too. Hmmm.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:10 am
elena86 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:03 am
Doc Dan wrote:
elena86 wrote:

That’s great! Golden is killing it with the quality and designs of knives they produce.

Maybe I need a backup, too. Hmmm.

Golden needs to grind their blades thinner behind the edge IMO :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, that might be a good idea, but the caveat is that they would have a plethora of returned knives for warrantee I’m afraid.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050