Just the brown SM flats

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mpgtsm

Just the brown SM flats

Post by mpgtsm »

I saw it here, but just now decided to try. Ten strokes on each flat side of the brown triangle on my s30v blade. The sharpest I’ve ever seen a knife. So fun shaving my arms. The blade doesn’t even have to touch the skin. Mine will be hairless soon and I will need some volunteers to step up. I didn’t strop or anything.

Thanks Spyderco for the great sharpener, and thanks to you all for the advice. I’m sold!!
The Meat man

Re: Just the brown SM flats

Post by The Meat man »

That's great!
I've impressed my co-workers many times with how easy and effortless it is to put a razor edge on knives with the Sharpmaker. None have bought one yet but I'm working on it. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
mpgtsm

Post by mpgtsm »

I just whittled hair for the first time. That’s awesome.
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

I've been fortunate enough to demonstrate the Sharpmaker's abilities to several friends and business colleagues, and several have told me that they were so impressed with how effortlessly I was able to get a sharp knife back into their hands that they ordered one themselves. I'll told them that if a simple guy like me could do it then they could do it also. Thank you Spyderco for making such a great product for the masses.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

mpgtsm wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:45 pm
I just whittled hair for the first time. That’s awesome.
Well done! :cool:

It’s very satisfying achieving high level sharpness with nothing other than the medium rods on the simple SharpMaker. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:40 pm
That's great!
I've impressed my co-workers many times with how easy and effortless it is to put a razor edge on knives with the Sharpmaker. None have bought one yet but I'm working on it. ;)
Same here Connor...they figure they can just bring them to me and I'll do it for them...which I do! More practice the better.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

It's very satisfying getting hair whittling sharpness with a single stone. I can remember relying on a high polish and strops, taking 6+ steps to get a cleanly shaving edge. That all seems so superfluous since developing the skills to get the same results off the brown rods.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:19 am
It's very satisfying getting hair whittling sharpness with a single stone. I can remember relying on a high polish and strops, taking 6+ steps to get a cleanly shaving edge. That all seems so superfluous since developing the skills to get the same results off the brown rods.
Absolutely...granted I still do use my strop for 1-3 passes per side, but being able to eliminate a few steps/stones is a GREAT feeling. Really starting to learn and adapt to the pressure needed, or not needed lately and it's helping tremendously.

-Rick
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Wish I could get the same results from my SM. I'm a novice sharpener and I've owned a SM for a couple years now but have never really got a shaving edge from it. I usually get frustrated and throw the knife on the KME.

OP: what angle are you using and what knife?
mpgtsm

Post by mpgtsm »

40 deg. The base says one angle is for back bevel. I used the other angle. I figured out once, that the knife has a 30 deg edge. Maybe I should try that???

It's a Benchmade mini Crooked River.
Last edited by mpgtsm on Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

It works, but I prefer going all the way to ultrafine. It just feels so smooth that way! After each stone I test on paper and arm hair. If it passes on brown I go to fine. Rinse and repeat for ultrafine. So easy to touch up knives. No excuse to not have a shaving sharp edge!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
mpgtsm

Post by mpgtsm »

soc_monki wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:07 pm
It works, but I prefer going all the way to ultrafine. It just feels so smooth that way! After each stone I test on paper and arm hair. If it passes on brown I go to fine. Rinse and repeat for ultrafine. So easy to touch up knives. No excuse to not have a shaving sharp edge!
I agree. I love the polished look from the fine and UF rods.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Depending how often or hard you use your knives, I find the polished edge to be pointless to try and maintain. That's a lot of work to get there, just to get easily scuffed up. If it's just a display knife or pocket jewelry then I could see the appeal.

-Rick
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I’m a little confused how you’re getting shaving sharp on medium stones. Isn’t that around 600 grit? On the UF stones I totally believe it but medium? Wish I could find my medium stone to try to make sure I’m not crazy.

Any chance you’re raising a burr? That can give the impression of sharpness but it’s a false edge that will wear off immediately.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Is the coarse (brown) side of a doublestuff the same as a sharpmaker brown? I get clean shaving de-burred edge from it.
mpgtsm

Post by mpgtsm »

The knife has a 30 degree bevel from the factory. I had forgotten that when I used the 40 deg angle the other day. I think it created a 40 deg micro bevel. A very light touch (no supporting hand on the base), as I learned from this forum, will produce a shaving edge. I sharpened it again at 30 deg because I carry it always but rarely use it. I also used the fine and uf stones for a little shine on the bevel. I haven't bothered with a strop, so I suppose there could be a very light burr. I can't see or feel one there.

Note: I leave one pair of rods stored in the base to keep it from sliding on the counter top.
vivi

Post by vivi »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:19 am
I’m a little confused how you’re getting shaving sharp on medium stones. Isn’t that around 600 grit? On the UF stones I totally believe it but medium? Wish I could find my medium stone to try to make sure I’m not crazy.

Any chance you’re raising a burr? That can give the impression of sharpness but it’s a false edge that will wear off immediately.
what's confusing about it? polishing to high grits isn't necessary for shaving sharpness. I can get shaving sharp from my DMT XX Coarse reprofiling stone or my diamond sharpmaker rods.

I consistently get shaving sharpness on any steel with my medium stones, both plain edge and serrated knives. I can comfortably shave with my SE Pacific Salt I posted here every day, and it never sees the white sharpmaker rods. In fact it's rare any of my knives do.

It all comes down to technique.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:19 am

Hey zhyla, it’s surprising how sharp you can get off the Medium stones with a little practice and for what it’s worth it’s all I’ve use to finish knives for a couple of years now. Every now and then I even jag a hair whittling edge. :rolleyes:

I think we tend to over think sharpening sometimes and complicate it for no good reason. I find if I concentrate on a clean burr free apex sharpness just happens.

There’s a wealth of knowledge here mate, and not everyone is dismissive or condescending so ask all the questions you like and you’ll certainly get all the help you need. :)
jpm2 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:37 am
Is the coarse (brown) side of a doublestuff the same as a sharpmaker brown? I get clean shaving de-burred edge from it.
Couldn’t say for sure jpm2, but mine certainly appear to be. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:06 am
Depending how often or hard you use your knives, I find the polished edge to be pointless to try and maintain. That's a lot of work to get there, just to get easily scuffed up. If it's just a display knife or pocket jewelry then I could see the appeal.
It's just fun to get that shiny look. The edges work perfectly fine if not polished. Just a preference! But I use all my knives, cutting cardboard, stripping cable, paper cutting, cutting tomatoes off my plant, trimming small branches off trees, shaving arm hair, trying to whittle hair... Lol
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
vivi

Post by vivi »

If you like polished bevels, try using a microbevel. You can keep the bevel polished for appearances, then run whatever grit you want on the microbevel. Makes touching up the knife much faster, so you won't feel reluctant to use is.

Deburring is about technique rather than grit progression. 1:1 ratio grinding one side then the other, light touch, edge leading strokes, etc.