Small Knife Blues

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Small Knife Blues

Post by jdw »

I know that it's been kicked around like a ball but can we please get a sprint or exclusive other than a PM2 with something longer than a 3" blade. How are any of the Taichung models coming along? I can't be the only one who wants a new issue of a decent sized knife. I am getting pretty tired of seeing Para 3 run after Para 3 run. Others obviously aren't but surely there's a market for people who don't live under crazy knife restrictions.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
curlyhairedboy

Re: Small Knife Blues

Post by curlyhairedboy »

We're starting to get some Shaman sprints - any of those tickle your fancy?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I’m guessing that the shaman and chief will be so popular that sprints are on the way.
The military has had some in the past.
And the police comes in k390.
What other model are you thinking?
Or a flash batch of something new?
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Knife restrictions aren't the only reason people prefer smaller pocket knives... practical reasons are.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am hoping for an Endela (which has PM2 size) HAP 40 run;
And a S30V Endura would be great (there has only been a Delica in that steel, not an Endura, right??)

Plus a lightweight FRN version of the Chief, but that´s not exactly a sprint tun of course...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jdw

Post by jdw »

SF Native wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:57 am
I’m guessing that the shaman and chief will be so popular that sprints are on the way.
The military has had some in the past.
And the police comes in k390.
What other model are you thinking?
Or a flash batch of something new?
I am thinking of something new. A Shaman or Chief would be great. I am still waiting on a Kapara. I would love K390 in a large blade but I won't buy any G10 Seki models. I own a bunch of Militaries but you are definitely on the right track.

tonijedi wrote: Knife restrictions aren't the only reason people prefer smaller pocket knives... practical reasons are.
Maybe more practical for some people but certainly not everyone.
--Wovoka
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Yep, hoping we will see some of the bigger blades in Cruwear, 4V, and 3V soon. We know the Cruwear Micarta Shaman is coming, but when?? With the Cruwear Delica being a huge success, you can bet we will see an Endura, Endela, and Police LW to follow, but probably not this year. The Military is long overdue for a new Cruwear exclusive (just so long as its not a smooth G10 one), and the Manix XL has been begging for Cruwear since day 1.

Maybe St Nicks will run their Red DLC 4V in some of these models (Shaman is now rumored to be their next exclusive). And maybe BHQ will do their Jade DLC M4 in the Manix XL finally, or what would be REALLY awesome from them would be a Jade DLC M4 Gayle Bradley!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:04 am

And a S30V Endura would be great (there has only been a Delica in that steel, not an Endura, right??)
I know we're talking larger blades here, but there was also recently an s30v dragonfly distributor exclusive. It flew off the shelves, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a follow-up Endura, or Endela model in the same teal s30v combo. Maybe also a teal delica, too, but with s30v this time.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

tonijedi wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:03 am
Knife restrictions aren't the only reason people prefer smaller pocket knives... practical reasons are.
That's right.
jdw wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:12 am
Maybe more practical for some people but certainly not everyone.
I'd say practical for most people.
Last edited by jpm2 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

It'll be interesting to see how the Endela and P4LW are treated with regards to the Seki sprints. If they are included, then you should see a regular cadence of larger knives (3.41", 3.75", and 4.39") that get unique steels. FRN lock backs aren't for everybody, and I would be a bit surprised to see the P4LW be lumped in with the others.
vivi

Post by vivi »

jdw wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:39 am
I know that it's been kicked around like a ball but can we please get a sprint or exclusive other than a PM2 with something longer than a 3" blade. How are any of the Taichung models coming along? I can't be the only one who wants a new issue of a decent sized knife. I am getting pretty tired of seeing Para 3 run after Para 3 run. Others obviously aren't but surely there's a market for people who don't live under crazy knife restrictions.
Be still, my heart.
:unicorn
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

I'm really hoping to see the Native Chief in 3V, 4V, or Cruwear. I definitely want the Cruwear Micarta Shaman, along with everyone else.
ferider

Post by ferider »

jdw wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:39 am
I'm 100% with you. Worse, they release a Cruwear Native without liners ...

Where is that Manix XL sprint ? :) Or a Native Chief in Cruwear with Ti scales or G10 _with_ liners. I'd also be happy with another longer blade collaboration, think Tuff, K2, Szabo, Chinook, 100Pacer, Amalgam, etc., they were all great. I have plenty of Militaries, but would love to have one in CW, 3V or 4V, or any stainless Military fully serrated.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I hope everyone that begs for a Chief sprint run plans to buy the S30V model. If you haven’t already bought one! ;)

Seriously though, sales numbers matter and you really can’t rely on everyone else to make the investment for you. There won’t be a sprint run if everyone wants to “just wait for a sprint run.”
-Nick :bug-red
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:37 am
I hope everyone that begs for a Chief sprint run plans to buy the S30V model. If you haven’t already bought one! ;)

Seriously though, sales numbers matter and you really can’t rely on everyone else to make the investment for you. There won’t be a sprint run if everyone wants to “just wait for a sprint run.”
Yes to all of this!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mushroom wrote:

Precisely. I'm jumping on that ship soon, and already have a Police LW pre-ordered.

Big folders don't sell as well, so we all have to do our part if we want to see these models succeed.

FWIW I've purchased 4 Manix XL's over the year. I'm trying....
:unicorn
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

REX45 Chief!!!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jdw

Post by jdw »

Mushroom wrote:

Very real question. Do the sales numbers matter or if a retailer thinks that they can sell enough do they just jump on it?
--Wovoka
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

tonijedi wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:03 am

Yea really. Here in PA I can carry as large of a knife as I want, but I still carry my Lil Temp 3 most the time. It's the most practical. I just never come across situations where a 3 inch blade edge can't do the job.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

jdw wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:40 pm
Mushroom wrote:

Very real question. Do the sales numbers matter or if a retailer thinks that they can sell enough do they just jump on it?

Retailers can commission whatever. The recent Lil Native was commissioned before anyone had an idea whether it would be popular or not. I'm sure the Shamans were like this, and the Para 3 LWs probably had 20+ exclusives commissioned before the production version was released. The Chief is an interesting one though. Not sure if anyone was willing to take the chance on it. BHQ is most likely since they are running out of Golden models and they know they can sell out any model in their Jade DLC M4 combo.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red