Endura SE ffg

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tims

Endura SE ffg

Post by Tims »

Do you reckon we’ll ever see the standard lightweight model Endura in SE ever move from sabre to full flat grind?

I’ve been persisting with my serrated Endura and whilst I still prefer a plain edge, I’m almost ‘there’ with serrations. That bloody sabre grind isn’t doing it any favours though.

We’ve already got the wharnie in ffg, hopefully at some stage the standard model gets the same treatment?
Wartstein

Re: Endura SE ffg

Post by Wartstein »

Since I got and extensively used my Endela SE in ffg, I am totally with you! Would surely buy an ffg SE Endura, since I like the SE version of the Endela a lot more than I thought I would.

What I´d wish for though: Serrations not going all the way to the tip, but leaving about 1.5 cm (approximately a bit more than 1/2 of an inch) plain edge portion, like it is on the Endela. (see pics below)
The current sabre grind Endura appearently has serrations all the way to the tip. (see pics below)
If a serrated Endura would have serrations in the exact dimensions of the Endela, but just one "pattern" more (so one more time "two small, one large" serration), there would be that amount of plain edge left I wish for (see pics)

Pic 1: Endura versus Endela, if the serration pattern of the Endela would be continued on the longer Endura blade with one time "two small, one large" serration, that would take up about the space I´ve marked red and leave enough plain edge towards the tip
Pic 2: Endela SE (in ffg)
Pic 3: Endura SE (in sg)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If the Endela serrated works out then I see no reason Spyderco would not do this under CQI.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tims

Post by Tims »

Hi Wartstein, I figured you’d be on board. I would prefer a full set of teeth. The current 8 large serrations on my Endura is perfect. Everything can stay the same, just ffg

Hi Doc, CQI, spot on.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Just noticed the lightweight has 7 large serrations while the SS model has 8.

FK

Post by FK »

Reference new Endura Wharncliffe SE and Rescue 3 SE both ffg and nice slicers.

Regards,
FK
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tims wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:15 am

Weird.. then the individual serrations must be of different size.. (wider on the lw)

The Wharnie also has only seven, but a lot more plain edge left towards the tip (see pic below)
So the serrations must be of different size again (given that the actual edge is probably a bit shorter on the wharnie, cause it has no belly at all...)

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tims wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:02 am
Hi Wartstein, I figured you’d be on board. I would prefer a full set of teeth. The current 8 large serrations on my Endura is perfect. Everything can stay the same, just ffg
Sure I'm on board! :D

/ I personally like that a bit more than half of an inch plain edge towards the tip, usefull for some tasks (precise wood work and so on).

Sure, as soon as you do for example lot of cutting on a cutting board and want specifically serrations for that, you want those serrations precisely in the tip area and NO plain edge there...
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Tims wrote:
My SE ZDP-189 Endura also has 8 of the larger cuts.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PanChango wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:50 pm
Tims wrote:
My SE ZDP-189 Endura also has 8 of the larger cuts.

How does ZDP 189 hold up in a serrated edge concerning chipping/ brittleness, if I may ask?
Wartstein

Re: Endura SE ffg - Is there hope?!

Post by Wartstein »

The more I carry and use my serrated (ffg, of course) EndELa, the more I really wish for a simliar (ffg and serrated) EndURa...

The (ffg, SE) Wharnie version of the EndURa is just not for me, for some reason I don´t like Wharncliffe blades in larger folders, and furthermore the overall package in the pocket gets rather wide with the Wharnie blade.

As much as I love my EndELa and especially the amazing work its serrations (and maybe also the chisel grind??) in rather thin ffg can do, I sometimes miss the longer, more versatile EndURa blade.

So, I may bump this thread, and maybe Sal would like to chime in and tell us, if there are any plans for a regular, ffg, serrated EndURa... ?!

(Meanwhile let me recommend the EndELa SE (ffg of course) once more to really anyone who likes, well, just amazing cutting performance. This thing is a monster when it comes to cutting).
Tims

Post by Tims »

Bumping this to keep the dream alive.

I played with my sabre se Endura for food prep in the kitchen today and it was a wedge fest :(
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tims wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:23 am
Bumping this to keep the dream alive.

I played with my sabre se Endura for food prep in the kitchen today and it was a wedge fest :(
Thanks for "bumping" (like I did in late September... :D )

EndELa SE (ffg) is probably the best cutter I own currently (even better than Pac Salt SE and Chaparral), a similar EndURa could easily become my most favorite folder ever...
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It’s time to end the sabre grinds, or at least raise them up. Wedgefest is the word.
- best wishes, Jazz.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Jazz wrote: It’s time to end the sabre grinds, or at least raise them up. Wedgefest is the word.
I have to disagree. Most of spydercos catalog is flatgrind slicers. Its nice to have a workhorse model like the endura give you a sabre grind option. I was going to say I have no problem with flat grind serrated so long as the sabre grind was still available going into the future. The sabre grind paired with that robust tip gives me a good working knife that I can beat on and do something stupid with without worrying. My foliage green endura 4 is probably the best beater work knife I have. Im willing to live with butchering my food for that trade off. I would also grab several other knives including several other spydies if I was about to do food prep.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

I searched and could not find the word steak in this thread.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:24 am
Jazz wrote: It’s time to end the sabre grinds, or at least raise them up. Wedgefest is the word.
I have to disagree. Most of spydercos catalog is flatgrind slicers. Its nice to have a workhorse model like the endura give you a sabre grind option. I was going to say I have no problem with flat grind serrated so long as the sabre grind was still available going into the future. The sabre grind paired with that robust tip gives me a good working knife that I can beat on and do something stupid with without worrying. My foliage green endura 4 is probably the best beater work knife I have. Im willing to live with butchering my food for that trade off. I would also grab several other knives including several other spydies if I was about to do food prep.
That's a valid point! Had a PE sabregrind Endura and a foliage green CE sabregrind Endura, sold them both, but kept my sabre grind CE Delica for the very reasons you listed.
The occasions when I need such a stout blade are rare, but IF they occur, I am happy to have a sabre grind knife, especially for the strong tip.

That being said: After using my ffg SE EndELa, if I had to choose only sabre grind or only ffg for the SE Endura, I'd clearly take the latter option...

There still is always the Pac Salt if you want a very stout, longer sg blade (you may say the Pac Salt is linerless and by that "weaker". That's most certainly true technically speaking, but it really does not feel weak in use...)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would just get the wharnie personally, but I'm really more interested in a SE Police 4. I think I saw Sal mention that there aren't any plans for one but I'm still hoping.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:47 am
I would just get the wharnie personally, but I'm really more interested in a SE Police 4. I think I saw Sal mention that there aren't any plans for one but I'm still hoping.
I think I'd buy that if it was ffg which I think it would be. Big ol light weight serrated blade would be great for hiking or yard work.

No interest in an endura so I shouldn't post. My ffg se delica wharnies are great though.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Everytime I use my ffg SE Endela, I have the the impulse to bump this thread... and now I just do once more.. ;)

I´d really like to know if there are at least plans to bring out an ffg SE Endura (other than the Wharnie) similar to the ffg SE Endela.
This would be such a great knife

But then again, if there´ll be a ffg SE Pac Salt 2 (featuring the E4 handle presumably) that would perhaps be even better.