Endura SE ffg

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Endura SE ffg

Post by Doc Dan »

I don’t know, but I like ffg better than sg any day.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Regarding the SE Endela, the Endela has a bit more belly to the blade that works well with the SE.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I LOL’d at reading the term “wedgefest.” It’s so true! My SE saber ground Endura is in near new condition because of this unfortunate reality. I should hand grind it to FFG, then start using it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dan31 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:29 am
Regarding the SE Endela, the Endela has a bit more belly to the blade that works well with the SE.
Are you sure about the "more belly"? I always thougt so too just from looking at Endura and Endela (I have both), but when I actually lay the blades on top of each other and compare, I am not so sure anymore (perhaps a tiny bit more belly on the Endela, right).

Anyway, most of the belly towards the tip is plain edge, and I actually really like that the Endela has a rather long PE (and of course chisel grind!!) section there (compared to other SE Spydercos). People who want to use the SE blade particullary on a cutting board will feel differently most likey (and rather have SE all the way to the tip)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:29 am
It’s time to end the sabre grinds, or at least raise them up. Wedgefest is the word.
The saber grind on the Endura 3 was a bit higher, and thus a bit slicier, than that on the SG Endura 4.

That said, I prefer FFG over SG.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:33 am
Jazz wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:29 am
It’s time to end the sabre grinds, or at least raise them up. Wedgefest is the word.
The saber grind on the Endura 3 was a bit higher, and thus a bit slicier, than that on the SG Endura 4.

That said, I prefer FFG over SG.

Jim
Sold my Endura SG quite recently to get funds for a Pac Salt.

The one task it (the SG Endura) was really good in: Whittling wood. At least on my particular model the actual bevel went very high up the blade (shoulders very high up), so in whittling it performed a bit like a "little scandi grind".

The second thing I liked for just some special tasks: The very robust tip, you really never had to worry about if for example having to work vey quickly and hastily, and there was a chance to hit metal barrels or the like (for such scenarios I keep my CE (and of course sabre grind) Delica. Don´t carry it a lot at all, but will never get rid of it either).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tims

Post by Tims »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:41 am
Everytime I use my ffg SE Endela, I have the the impulse to bump this thread... and now I just do once more.. ;)

I´d really like to know if there are at least plans to bring out an ffg SE Endura (other than the Wharnie) similar to the ffg SE Endela.
This would be such a great knife

But then again, if there´ll be a ffg SE Pac Salt 2 (featuring the E4 handle presumably) that would perhaps be even better.
I’ve been thinking the same thing.

Speaking of the Pacific Salt, can you or anyone else comment on how the current Pac’ Salt hollow grind compares to the Endura Sabre grind serrated in terms of cutting?

I’m in the market for a Salt something and was thinking of the Pacific but if cutting performance is anything like the Endura SE, I might give it a miss
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tims wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:11 am
Wartstein wrote:
Everytime I use my ffg SE Endela, I have the the impulse to bump this thread... and now I just do once more.. ;)

I´d really like to know if there are at least plans to bring out an ffg SE Endura (other than the Wharnie) similar to the ffg SE Endela.

But then again, if there´ll be a ffg SE Pac Salt 2 (featuring the E4 handle presumably) that would perhaps be even better.

Speaking of the Pacific Salt, can you or anyone else comment on how the current Pac’ Salt hollow grind compares to the Endura Sabre grind serrated in terms of cutting?

I’m in the market for a Salt something and was thinking of the Pacific but if cutting performance is anything like the Endura SE, I might give it a miss

I can just speak for the serrated Pac Salt and compare it to the serrated part on the Endura (sabre grind) comboedge I had and the serrated part on the (sabre grind) Delica combo edge I still have (Delica being tinner stock than Endura and Pac Salt :2.5 mm vs 3 mm):

Hands down the Pac Salt cuts a lot better! Partly certainly due to the hollow sabre grind (the "slicier" kind of sabre grind... ;) ), but it might also be that the serrations are just cuit differently or at a more acute angle.

And keep in mind: My particular Pac Salt has an angle of around 20 degrees, while for example Vivi says all his (black handled) Pac Salt SE´s came in 15 degree and by that should be even better cutters...

That being said: My 3mm stock ffg serrated Endela (having also shallower and less agressive serrations than the Pac Salt) does in many tasks an even slightly better job than the Pac Salt SE (cardboard, for example, but also things like slicing tomatoes and the like. Which of course generally just has to work better with ffg than sg (as soon as the material you´re cutting has some "height" to it)

What is also great in the Pac Salt SE: Easy to sharpen but still amazing edge retention, VERY though, plus totally rust proof (though I would not need the latter)
Tims

Post by Tims »

Interesting that the black handle Pacs come with a more acute grind. That would be my combo of choice anyway.

Thanks mate.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tims wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:31 am
Interesting that the black handle Pacs come with a more acute grind. That would be my combo of choice anyway.

Thanks mate.
Can´t tell (or to put it right: can hardly imagine!) that they really deliberately do the black handled Pac Salt in a more acute grind than the yellow handled... might be more just conincidentally?
Regardless, Vivi, others and I disussed that a bit in someother thread, and my (yellow) one definitely is close to 20, while Vivis multiple black handled ones all came in 15 he said
Tims

Post by Tims »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:27 am
Tims wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

I can just speak for the serrated Pac Salt and compare it to the serrated part on the Endura (sabre grind) comboedge I had and the serrated part on the (sabre grind) Delica combo edge I still have (Delica being tinner stock than Endura and Pac Salt :2.5 mm vs 3 mm):

Hands down the Pac Salt cuts a lot better! Partly certainly due to the hollow sabre grind (the "slicier" kind of sabre grind... ;) ), but it might also be that the serrations are just cuit differently or at a more acute angle.

And keep in mind: My particular Pac Salt has an angle of around 20 degrees, while for example Vivi says all his (black handled) Pac Salt SE´s came in 15 degree and by that should be even better cutters...

That being said: My 3mm stock ffg serrated Endela (having also shallower and less agressive serrations than the Pac Salt) does in many tasks an even slightly better job than the Pac Salt SE (cardboard, for example, but also things like slicing tomatoes and the like. Which of course generally just has to work better with ffg than sg (as soon as the material you´re cutting has some "height" to it)

What is also great in the Pac Salt SE: Easy to sharpen but still amazing edge retention, VERY though, plus totally rust proof (though I would not need the latter)
Sold. Order placed!

Black handle, satin blade SE. I hope she comes in @ 15 degrees.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm just happy to see others joining in the FFG/SE fight. I'm also glad to see more knives coming in this configuration. Everything that makes a PE blade slice also applies to SE.

I'm still holding out for a SE Police 4.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tims wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:18 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:27 am
Tims wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Sold. Order placed!

Black handle, satin blade SE. I hope she comes in @ 15 degrees.
Good choice! :)
Even more so, since the Pac Salt is on the diso. list already

I am sure you won´t regret it and hope you´ll report back how you like it (and if it is ground more like 20 or 15 degrees...)
I am really glad that especially Vivi made me want to try this knife, it is a keeper for sure and gets carried (and used) a lot. Serrated H1 is just as good as it´s "fans" have been saying all the time.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Yet again a bump for this thread.

Sal, maybe you read this and would like to give us a hint, if there is any chance that we´ll see an ffg fully serrated Endura some day (other than the Wharnie)? Preferably with the exact same serration pattern as the Endela has?

That would be such an amazing knife...

Alternatively an ffg Pac Salt SE would most likely do the trick either (and would probably "have" to be in LC200N then?!)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Another bump for this thread.. :rolleyes: (started by Tims (thanks! :) ), not by me)

An Endura SE ffg would be the ultimate EDC knife for me.

And it should be relatively easy to implement in the lineup and with not too much cost involved:
The FRN molds are there already, the ffg blade is there already, the serrations pattern is there already (in the Endela), so "all" it would take is "just" grinding serrations in an already existing model.. (to be clear: That is of course just my uninformed guess, I don´t know what business calculations Spyderco has to do!

But since I have a feeling that I am not alone in very much appreciating the performance of the SE EndELa, I think many would like to see a similar EndURa too... ?!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:31 am
the ultimate EDC knife for me.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Tims

Post by Tims »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:51 am
Wartstein wrote:
Everything a man could want but a flat bloody grind :rolleyes:
Last edited by Tims on Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Tims wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:57 am
Bloke wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Everything a bloke could want but a flat bloody grind :rolleyes:
Wth is that?
Pimp my knife?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Oh man... :o

I think I´d still SLIGHTLY prefer the proposed Endura FFG SE.. :p :p ;)
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Why Endura SE FFG and not a Pac 2 SE FFG LC200N?