Cleaning g10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Cleaning g10

Post by JuPaul »

Any advice on the best way to clean g10 scales?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
jdw

Re: Cleaning g10

Post by jdw »

Magic Eraser works great. It takes about anything off and it doesn't leave them scuffed. Good as new.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Luke2236

Post by Luke2236 »

I’ve always used an old toothbrush and dawn dish detergent.
Wanted: M4 PM 2 or manix M4.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

^gotta second the Magic Eraser recco; effective, gentle, easy!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Tooth brush and WD40. Will brighten it up as well.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Thanks! The toothbrush and dishsoap wasn't getting out some deep-set dirt/grime stains on an old pair of used scales I have. I will definitely try the magic eraser and WD40 tricks.
- Julia

vivi

Post by vivi »

Hot water, liquid soap, and a toothbrush.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've gone on record saying this at least 6 times in the past but yet very few people have ever listened to me >> nor have many people even tried it. But the very best product I've found to clean, preserve and rejuvenate G-10 handles is BALLISTOL. For those of you who have never heard of BALLISTOL it's a product that many gunsmiths, machinists and many people who do repair work of all types use on a regular basis.

When I discovered how well that BALLISTOL cleans and rejuvenates G-10 handles it really blew my mind as to how well it worked. It even restores G-10 in which the color seems to have faded somewhat. I've found BALLISTOL to be great for all kinds of cleaning, lubricating, restoring and preserving. But it truly works miracles on G-10 handles of all types.

I've also had some good success using it on Carbon Fiber and FRN handles too. Now go ahead and get a 16 ounce can of it>> because it costs at least 4 times as much to use the aerosol spray cans of it. A 16 ounce can of it will last you 5 years or so with normal usage. Also BALLISTOL has dozens of practical uses and it's great to have on hand.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I've had great success with magic eraser and water. Pulls out grime and also stains (I got pen ink on my REX 45 PM2).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I use Magic Eraser on G10. No chemicals needed.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Magic Eraser works good. Restored my blurple military after a year's worth of grease and grime embedded in the grooves of the g10.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:33 pm
I've gone on record saying this at least 6 times in the past but yet very few people have ever listened to me >> nor have many people even tried it. But the very best product I've found to clean, preserve and rejuvenate G-10 handles is BALLISTOL. For those of you who have never heard of BALLISTOL it's a product that many gunsmiths, machinists and many people who do repair work of all types use on a regular basis.

When I discovered how well that BALLISTOL cleans and rejuvenates G-10 handles it really blew my mind as to how well it worked. It even restores G-10 in which the color seems to have faded somewhat. I've found BALLISTOL to be great for all kinds of cleaning, lubricating, restoring and preserving. But it truly works miracles on G-10 handles of all types.

I've also had some good success using it on Carbon Fiber and FRN handles too. Now go ahead and get a 16 ounce can of it>> because it costs at least 4 times as much to use the aerosol spray cans of it. A 16 ounce can of it will last you 5 years or so with normal usage. Also BALLISTOL has dozens of practical uses and it's great to have on hand.
Lest you think no one is listening, I have been interested in Ballistol myself, I just procrastinate in terms of actually ordering some. Glad to hear you like it!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I’ve used Ballistol for a while now and it seems to work very well. I actually used it with a match cut to a chisel tip to clean some accumulated crud at the hilt of my Sprig the other day. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Ballistol, you say? Gotta look into that - thank you for the tip!
- Julia

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:45 pm
I’ve used Ballistol for a while now and it seems to work very well. I actually used it with a match cut to a chisel tip to clean some accumulated crud at the hilt of my Sprig the other day. :)
BLOKE I've used soft to medium bristle toothbrushes with Ballistol to clean intricate grooves on G-10 handles and it has worked fine for me. Explain further why that would not work for what you are doing. Maybe I could learn something.

Now for just general cleaning and removing grease and other grime and dirt I do use one of the newer DAWN liquid dish soaps. The one I use is DAWN 4X Platinum Overnight. Just for general cleaning and removal of most dirt and grime you would accumulate doing a dirt job I find that DAWN 4X does great and it's water soluble of course. Using the DAWN 4X with hot to warm water seems to work the best just for general cleaning.

But the BALLISTOL does so much more.
foofie

Post by foofie »

I have used the magic eraser as well. That said - it is kind of like very fine grit sand paper. I've heard it compared to 3000 grit sand paper. This means that over time, the g10 may smooth out a bit. I prefer slightly less grippy peel-ply, so it works for me. Also, always use water (to reduce the abrasiveness).
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:31 pm
And BALLISTOL is not all that expensive when you consider how long a 16 ounce can of that will last you. And there are so many uses for it too.

Like I just told BLOKE using a soft to medium bristle toothbrush seems to really get into the grooves and remove any dirt or foreign debris. Now EVIL D made mention of it being a "chemical" >> yes it is a petroleum distillate but after you do the initial treatment you really don't have to worry much about it. It doesn't leech out of the handle. After you apply it you just want to take a soft cloth and absorb the excess off and they you're ready to go. It also seems to preserve the color of the G-10 as well.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:06 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:31 pm
And BALLISTOL is not all that expensive when you consider how long a 16 ounce can of that will last you. And there are so many uses for it too.

Like I just told BLOKE using a soft to medium bristle toothbrush seems to really get into the grooves and remove any dirt or foreign debris. Now EVIL D made mention of it being a "chemical" >> yes it is a petroleum distillate but after you do the initial treatment you really don't have to worry much about it. It doesn't leech out of the handle. You want to take a soft cloth and get the excess off and they you're ready to go.
Just ordered a 2-pack of the 16oz cans off Amazon. At $28 it'll be well worth the cost if it can restore my old scales, and that much will last me forever. So you apply it, scrub with a soft toothbrush, then wipe off? Do you let it sit for a while? No water rinse?
- Julia

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:02 pm
Bloke wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:45 pm
BLOKE I've used soft to medium bristle toothbrushes with Ballistol to clean intricate grooves on G-10 handles and it has worked fine for me. Explain further why that would not work for what you are doing. Maybe I could learn something.
Hey Joe, no particular reason I didn’t use a toothbrush. Matches were handy is all and the scales were clean other than a little crud (maybe dry fish blood) where the blade and scales meet just back from the riccaso (Hilt?). :)

Edited to add: Not sure if it’s a good thing or not but, I give new G10 scaled knives a good wash with Ballistol before I use them particularly fixed blades that see blood, saltwater etc. thinking it may form a bit of a barrier and stop any liquids getting between scales and blade. :rolleyes:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:13 pm
Just ordered a 2-pack of the 16oz cans off Amazon. At $28 it'll be well worth the cost if it can restore my old scales, and that much will last me forever. So you apply it, scrub with a soft toothbrush, then wipe off? Do you let it sit for a while? No water rinse?
Hi JuPaul, After cleaning I use plenty and scrub it in with a soft toothbrush, leave it overnight generally, if it’s still wet the next day I’ll buff it off and call it good. :)