Are you a collector?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How and what do you "collect"?

I don't collect knives, only have users
15%
I collect knives, mostly users
21%
I collect knives, half users/half collector's items
10%
I collect knives, mostly as collector's items
7%
I only collect spydercos
11%
I mostly collect spydercos
19%
I collect various brands
4%
I collect other things
12%

Total votes: 166

cycleguy

Re: Are you a collector?

Post by cycleguy »

For those that cannot live on bread alone... there is collecting!!!

Can't believe I am one of two that selected - "I collect knives mostly as collector items".

I think there would be more that collect many and use some...

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

I have way too many but all are users minus a few that I keep in places for emergency use only. Each vehicle has a Byrd rescue in the console and in my truck there is a new Endura 4 in case I forget my edc that morning. I also have an Atlantic salt on my pfd that I've never used.

I try almost all of them out at work. Cutting seatbelt strap, mule tape, sisal twine and burlap.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:57 am

Can't believe I am one of two that selected - "I collect knives mostly as collector items".

CG
I was definitely surprised by that, too. Surely there are a lot of folks that love hunting down the classic and discontinued models, especially, but probably won't use them because they're special and rare, and we have arguably better steel options now. That's definitely how my dad was - he loved hunting for cool WWII era American and German handguns, and more modern variations on those. But the antiques he rarely fired, and kept for display only.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:50 pm
Curiosity, not completism, has led me to use (and accumulate) a lot of Spydies.
Hah "completism" I love it! I have to say I'm guilty of that in one variant family... :cool:
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
eddiebob

Post by eddiebob »

cycleguy wrote:

CG

Collector here also. Various brands, majority are custom. Users include Spyderco, Case, and Chris Reeve. My collection tends towards automatics, side openers and OTF with lots of Damascus. Best deal I ever made on a knife was when a maker sold me an old custom that he forgot to sell. Paid $150 7 years ago and let it go last month for $2200! Collecting just adds an interesting twist to knives.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:12 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:50 pm
Curiosity, not completism, has led me to use (and accumulate) a lot of Spydies.
Hah "completism" I love it! I have to say I'm guilty of that in one variant family... :cool:
Well, I won’t condemn you. Wanting everything here is totally understandable to me.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don't collect, I accumulate.:). There is a difference.

Over the years I've owned many brands, but the ones I've settled on are Spyderco, Victorinox and CRK. Although I also sometimes use my Buck and Case knives.

Jim
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Mostly spydercos but I do use them all. I don't see collecting stuff just to put it in a case unless it's really rare or antique that doesn't make sense to me, and ?I can't afford that stuff lol. The only other knives i got are a handful of butterfly knives and old style manual stilettos of modest size. Sadly the butterfly knives cannot be carried but I do use them around the house if i feel like it, chopped onions with one the other day. The stilettos are lockbacks and you can flick them open so if I'm in a traditionalist mood they can be carried.
Honestly mostly I just carry the spydercos though!
Don't collect much else except bikes, I work on a lot of bikes. But then I use those, I ride them.
Swords. But use those too, when I could get to the fencing club.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Monty

Post by Monty »

I just do what makes me happy and don't try to over-think it.
foofie

Post by foofie »

I may have to change my prior answer. Where does "backup" fit into this scheme? Bought another Para3 maxamet on the irrational fear that they disappear again. Not really a collection if it is an exact duplicate? More accumulation? All part of the same spectrum of disease?
kwselke

Post by kwselke »

I collect coins that I find on the ground and use them. I guess that makes me a collector of users, but I do occasionally find foreign coins which are not usable locally due to law. I collect non-users and use most of my collection of users. All this keeps the collection process dymanic and as fluid as the collection process allows. Coins I find knives I buy, but the process is similar.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Monty wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:29 pm
I just do what makes me happy and don't try to over-think it.
I tend to overthink everything. And doing so makes me happy!

I enjoy the word "completionist" that has popped up here. I have noted that sort of mindset and try to avoid it.

I have never hunted down an out of production Spyderco. Nothing wrong with that though.

The concept of a backup is alien to my thinking. If I did lose a favorite, I have plenty of others (although different) to take its place.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I’m a collector for sure.
I buy things that I like and I rarely sell anything. Even models that I don’t like, I keep to remind me of what I don’t like about them. I loan them or give them away.
I would say I’m collector of experience. I want one of every lock type, steel, handle material, maybe each model. I collect spydercos and mid-techs. I have a few other makes but only keep them to remind me why I don’t buy more of those. Basically my collection is like a spyderco showroom. If a friend wanted to get a knife, I could show them a bit of everything and they could find something that is right for them.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

cycleguy wrote:

CG
So I counted: 33 folders, 21 fixed blades. Was surprised to see my folders have passed my fixed blades in quantity, It didn't used to be that way; this year changed things.

Anyways, can't possibly see how I would have to be using all of these. A dozen or less being used has it covered easily.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

I collect steels I like in knives I like. See para 3 and I have a few, lil native will be another.
I read something from wartstien and agreed so I ha e been keeping to that. He said that if I had a knife case (holds 12) and fill it with only knives I would carry I really shouldn't need anything else.
I like that idea and will be keeping to 12 knives that are carried. Maybe a few extra like a multitool, few fixed blades, salt for fishing only, rescue one for each car.
So if I want to collect all para 3s or lil natives, knives would have to be sold. I have one fore every month of the year change out monthly.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

Solely an investor specializing in Spyderco and using it as a hard asset class non-correlated with the stock market.
Reject

Post by Reject »

I’ve been collecting Spyderco for about 15 years and the numbers are fairly high these days.
“Completionist” sounds about right for me.

I even have a list and according to it, :eek: I have:

92 variations of the Delica.
75 variations of the Endura
33 variations of the Dragonfly.
88 variations of Spyderco Fixed blade knives.
11 variations of the Snap-it.
:D Even have 4 variations of the Remote Release.
I did take a liking to the Ethnic series, but because there isn’t a official list of what knives are included in that series. I can’t really state a number.

And I have slowed down the collecting lately.

O :rolleyes: and 21 variation of the Rescue 93 and 8 of the Rescue Jr.
How much can a Koala bear?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Jeepers!