Are you a collector?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How and what do you "collect"?

I don't collect knives, only have users
15%
I collect knives, mostly users
21%
I collect knives, half users/half collector's items
10%
I collect knives, mostly as collector's items
7%
I only collect spydercos
11%
I mostly collect spydercos
19%
I collect various brands
4%
I collect other things
12%

Total votes: 166

curlyhairedboy

Re: Are you a collector?

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I wouldn't call myself much of a collector, there's a lot that comes in and goes out. The stuff that stays generally fits a use case of mine extremely well, or represents a milestone of design.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I was a butcher for over 20 years and Carry a knife for work daily nowadays.

Tools of trade I call them. Not a collection

( if a mechanic can have a 100 piece socket set I’m aloud 20-30 knives )

Most of my Spydercos are bought with overtime or on call/call out earnings.
The misses calls them my Overtime Presents and even asks for Overtime Presents for the house sometimes which I gladly buy to not upset my little ruse.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Like others have said I collect different steels at least the ones that interest me. Don't really care to grab the analog steels like I have M390 so I dont have to have 20cv, 204p...

I'm only a year into discovering Spyderco and thus only have a years worth of collecting since the spyderbite. I have all the steels I set out to get except superblue and now LC200N. I tried to get all the Para3's but that got shot down after the rivers edge fiasco.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

How do I answer this if we haven't defined collector? Given that ambiguity all I can really say is "I dunno". If do have an embarrassing number of knives, perhaps that makes me a collector. I have more knives than I really need, so maybe I am a collector. I don't want to have one of everything, so maybe I'm not a collector. All of my knives are carried and used, so perhaps that means I am not a collector. Like "LegOf" says I am more a collector of steels than a collector of knives.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm more accumulator than collector. I don't have a real collection of knives. The closest would be an Endura in every steel released but I don't take that further into collecting every color and different grind and variant. I have a bunch but it's nowhere near what would be needed to be a real collector of Enduras. It's still too many knives though. :)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:43 pm
How do I answer this if we haven't defined collector? Given that ambiguity all I can really say is "I dunno". If do have an embarrassing number of knives, perhaps that makes me a collector. I have more knives than I really need, so maybe I am a collector. I don't want to have one of everything, so maybe I'm not a collector. All of my knives are carried and used, so perhaps that means I am not a collector. Like "LegOf" says I am more a collector of steels than a collector of knives.
I'm not sure there really is a definition of collector that everyone could agree on. I was kind of interested to see how people here think about it, actually. Based on responses here, some think you hit 20 or 30 knives, and now you're a collector. Some people think a collector wants one of everything. Others that a collector means you only have knives for the sake of collecting, others that you can be both a collector and a user. It's pretty interesting to me how people define their hobbies and interests, and I don't think there's any one right or wrong answer.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Accumulate for use. Aside from a few backups hoarded away of my favorite models (Spyderhawk and Cruwear Delica at the moment), all of the knives I buy I unbox and put in the rotation. I grab whatever I feel will suit me for the task at hand or for the day I have planed. Some knives get carried more than others, but none are for investment or collection. They are mostly FRN knives (lots of Salts and exclusives) and mostly the basic utilitarian models. No fancy scales or gentlemens knives or anything like that. I have three young sons that I will eventually start bequeathing my knives to as they come of knife carrying age, so while my collection is growing at a rapid rate, it will soon be spread around 4 ways.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:05 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
I'm not sure there really is a definition of collector that everyone could agree on. I was kind of interested to see how people here think about it, actually. Based on responses here, some think you hit 20 or 30 knives, and now you're a collector. Some people think a collector wants one of everything. Others that a collector means you only have knives for the sake of collecting, others that you can be both a collector and a user. It's pretty interesting to me how people define their hobbies and interests, and I don't think there's any one right or wrong answer.
Agreed with all of that! I was just kind of kicking the idea around in what I said, which although it may have seemed flippant really does express some of my serious thinking. Have I become a knife collector???? Oh NO !!!! Where do I go for help ...... ???

On the other hand, if I can afford to buy more knives than I really need, just to enjoy them, I would say that I really should count my blessings and consider myself a "rich man" or something. I should certainly be thankful. A sign that life is good.
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pickmansmodel82

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

I’ve been told by many that my collecting is “magpie” style. I have around 80 knives of various makes.

I mostly focus on American companies, but have no issue with foreign makers, save for one specific subset, makers who buy brands and slash quality for profit. (Schrade/Uncle Henry spring to mind.)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:09 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:05 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Agreed with all of that! I was just kind of kicking the idea around in what I said, which although it may have seemed flippant really does express some of my serious thinking. Have I become a knife collector???? Oh NO !!!! Where do I go for help ...... ???

On the other hand, if I can afford to buy more knives than I really need, just to enjoy them, I would say that I really should count my blessings and consider myself a "rich man" or something. I should certainly be thankful. A sign that life is good.
Absolutely :D
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Didn't vote. I have a whole bunch of knives but I don't consider myself a collector. They're all potential users but I haven't got around to actually using some of them. I guess I just like carrying some more than others
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
foofie

Post by foofie »

Accumulator here. And rationalizer :D
I have 3-4 knives that were purely for collection sake (old Goddards and Lums that caught my eye, but won't ever get used), but the rest are bought as users. Problem is I have too many now to use them all :rolleyes: - life is hard.

Actually, Life is Good.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I do buy a lot of spyderco's, but it's a part of the search for the perfect knife (knives) for my needs. I have high hopes for the Shaman. I predict that once I experience the ergos I will be selling a few knives to buy more Shamans. If it doesn't get used often or isn't my first choice for a specific task (for example if i had the perfect wood carving knife, I would keep it even if I'm not carving wood all that often), it gets sold.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am a hoarder. Folders are 90% Spydercos. Fixed blades are 10% Spydercos.

I am not a collector in the sense that I don’t follow a pattern and don’t pay attention to resale values. I buy knives that I think I will enjoy using. On the other hand, I own way to many knives to deny that I don’t have some sort of collection.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jdw

Post by jdw »

I am probably a hobbyist. I love knives. I use some and I really love the great Spyderco steel selection but I have also enjoyed owning some collectibles for a while and then passing them on for others to share the coolness.
Last edited by jdw on Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I have an addiction that has led to a collection. I use most of what I have. There are only a small hand full that haven’t been put to use.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I consider myself more of an accumulator than a collector, but, as far as knives, I have a fair number of Spydercos and some knives from other makers. Those are mostly types of knives Spyderco does not offer like push daggers, DA OTF Autos, and "Italian" style switchblades. Some get carried and used, many are just display pieces. Also have a modest accumulation of firearms.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

An interesting point made above. While I consider myself more of an accumulator, I would refer to the pile of knives I have accumulated as a collection. Maybe that does make me a collector? There is no cure and the only treatment is to buy more :D
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

I’m enjoying hearing everyone’s idea of what collecting is, it seems to be a little different across the board. Collecting, accumulating and addiction are def trending together. Lol! I will add to my previous post that while I consider myself user/collector, I do not try to collect all of a type. I simply collect and use the ones I like or that appeal to me.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I collect things that interest me, so I’m not much of a “completionist” and I don’t generally buy something I don’t particular like just because it would “complete” a collection. I probably have close to 300 Hotwheels at this point, which is certainly the largest collection of anything I own. My income doesn’t allow me to indulge in guns and knives as much as I’d like.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.