Are you a collector?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How and what do you "collect"?

I don't collect knives, only have users
15%
I collect knives, mostly users
21%
I collect knives, half users/half collector's items
10%
I collect knives, mostly as collector's items
7%
I only collect spydercos
11%
I mostly collect spydercos
19%
I collect various brands
4%
I collect other things
12%

Total votes: 166

JuPaul

Are you a collector?

Post by JuPaul »

I was looking through pictures of my dad's gun collection today, and it got me thinking about collecting in general. Dad had a relatively modest collection - maybe 40 handguns and a few long guns - and maybe half of those were ones he actually shot, while the others he bought for their historical significance and/or their cool factor. Of those, many had never been fired outside of the factory. He just loved to look at them, and to own little pieces of history. And although he had a little drawer full of old pocket knives, and carried one every day, he definitely didn't collect knives with any intent.

I'm the opposite: I have a little collection of knives (mostly spyderco folders, and various brands of fixed blades), and maybe 1/3 of them are what I'd call collectors items, not users. I love their designs, I think they're beautiful, but they're not practical for me to use. On the other hand, the firearms my husband and I own are all practical users (with the exception of my grandpa's WWII army-issue colt 1911 that I just couldn't part with), definitely not a real collection.

So, I'm wondering who else thinks of themselves as a "collector" here, and if so, what do you collect and why?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
anycal

Re: Are you a collector?

Post by anycal »

I think I have some 10 non-Spyderco knives, and little over 20 :spyder:. None of them are BNIB, maybe 3 could pass for like-new.

Once you go over a certain number of knives, you become a collector... maybe even a hoarder in a harmless way :)
Peter
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

I am a user/collector with just over 100 Spyderco’s. I work in a warehouse and all my knives get some use and carry time at some point. Some get carried only on the weekend. Sometimes I carry a particular knife for weeks, sometimes just a day. Rarely is it ever ‘hard use’ tho. I really can’t see keeping a knife that I will never use. I can honesty respect whatever ppl do with their knives tho. Just my two cents.
Last edited by Redman5006 on Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tough one, depends on how you see it:

- All of my folders (except my only duplicate / backup (Stretch 1 in VG 10) are users.
- All of my (quality-) folders, except one BM, are Spydercos.
- I try not to have more than 10 or 11 Spydies at any point in time (partly so that I CAN really use each one more or less often)
- So am I a collector? NOT in the sense, that I´d have knives just for collecting, not for real use. But on the other hand, I have MORE than I´d need (in fact, for example my HAP 40 Endura can do everything I need and would probably last me a lifetime, wouldn´t really NEED another folder). So does this make me a collector?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:59 pm
Tough one, depends on how you see it:

- All of my folders (except my only duplicate / backup (Stretch 1 in VG 10) are users.
- All of my (quality-) folders, except one BM, are Spydercos.
- I try not to have more than 10 or 11 Spydies at any point in time (partly so that I CAN really use each one more or less often)
- So am I a collector? NOT in the sense, that I´d have knives just for collecting, not for real use. But on the other hand, I have MORE than I´d need (in fact, for example my HAP 40 Endura can do everything I need and would probably last me a lifetime, wouldn´t really NEED another folder). So does this make me a collector?!
Definitely a gray area, maybe I'd call you an enthusiast. ;) But seriously, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. I'm just curious how people think about their spydies, and/or their other passions.
- Julia

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Knife user, but I used to collect some '80s toys and Spawn figures.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

No.

I buy knives that I have a use for.

Sometimes I'll buy multiples of the same knife to have back-ups or different steel / scale / edge type options to choose from within my favorite designs.

Sometimes I'll hold on to knives I no longer use because they have sentimental value.

But every new knife I buy is with the intent to immediately put it to use.

I trade off or sell knives that no longer get used that aren't sentimental.

I do have things you could say I collect....but I use all of those things. Records, sports equipment, knives, bikes. I have more than I neee, but it all sees use.
:unicorn
SchizoidHorse9

Post by SchizoidHorse9 »

I'm definitely a collector, but I also use my knives, everything has been carried repeatedly. I've got well over 50 knives, about half are Spyderco, with a few ZTs, BMs, WE, and Bucks making up most of the rest. (I live really close to the Buck factory).
Current Spydies:

Blurple S110v PM2, KW Green CTS-204p PM2, DLT Tan Satin 20cv PM2, DLT Red m390 PM2, BBS Blue Satin m390 PM2, DLT Red 20cv Manix2, BHQ Jade M4 Military, BHQ Jade M4 Yojimbo2, BHQ Jade M4 Native5, St. Nick's Red DLC 4v Lil Native Compression, Carbon Fiber s90v Shaman Sprint, LC200n Waterway, Blue-Gray V-Toku2 Endura Sprint, Purple Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Spydiechef, Ikuchi, Smock, Gayle Bradley 2, Sheepsfoot Caribbean PE, Dogtag Carbon Fiber, Red Check Tenacious, Cara Cara 2.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I have a collection of knives but not for the sole purpose of collecting. It's more than I like just like to try different steels and designs and have a hoarders mentality and almost never sell anything even if it would be the sensible thing to do.

The one's I don't use often I consider "functional art" ;)
-Turbo
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Knives are strictly for use. I don't collect.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I wouldn’t call myself a collector. To me, “collectors” seem to want one of every version of a type, where I only want the ones that appeal to me. Collectors go after the rare or weird because those might be the ones that grow in value. There’s an element of prospecting I guess? If I get the rare or weird it’s for another reason rooted in utility. Almost everything I’ve ever bought because I liked the historical aspects or collectibility have gone down the road to fund more practical pursuits. I do still have some highly collectible items because they are family heirlooms. I do get multiples of things I like. I think of myself as an accumulator more than a collector. Someone else might call me a collector.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I don’t buy Spydies not to use.

I do buy Spydies whose designs and/or components intrigue me. Curiosity, not completism, has led me to use (and accumulate) a lot of Spydies.

If curiosity explains why I accumulate Spydies, an absence of resolve explains why my accumulation does not get smaller...
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

bbturbodad wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:33 pm
I have a collection of knives but not for the sole purpose of collecting. It's more than I like just like to try different steels and designs and have a hoarders mentality and almost never sell anything even if it would be the sensible thing to do.

The one's I don't use often I consider "functional art" ;)
I'm kinda with you here. Every knife I've bought was with the intention of using it, but some just didn't work for me practically (too big, ergos wrong, the steel didn't work for me, etc.). Of those, most I've sold, but a few I hang onto because they really are special for some particular reason, imo.
- Julia

Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

I collect steels rather than knives. All of my knives are users for anything I might need a knife for. It helps that I know I can fix anything short of a blade snapped in half without difficulty.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Yes. I collect exclusively Spyderco. Most of what I own gets used in some way but I'm still definitely a collector. I have enough knives that I've lost count of them but can only think of three that I just won't use.

I would still consider myself a knife user too though. You do not have to be one or the other.

I buy designs that I like, it's that simple.

I don't need every knife I buy to be the most efficient cutting tool possible. I just need to like it. (and it needs to be a Spyderco :p)
-Nick :bug-red
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

- I don't collect knives, only have users
100% of the knives that I own are users, but they may not have been used yet. They were purchased with the intent to use them.

- I collect various brands
I have 85 knives, invested value of around $20,000.

- I collect other things (knowledge)
I collect videos and books related to prepping, wilderness medicine(general care to surgery), and martial arts (the arts having to do with Escrima/Arnis and Knife) / self defense(the mindset, the laws). My goal is to get back to work and train in person with some of the martial arts instructors that I have trained with in the past or met online, get an associates in EMT(emergency medical tech), and survivalism(courses in surviving in the wilderness, edible plants).
Last edited by Naperville on Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:08 pm

I would still consider myself a knife user too though. You do not have to be one or the other.

(and it needs to be a Spyderco :p)
Agree 100%. My husband would say I collect boots, too, but I wear and love every pair. :D
- Julia

Luke2236

Post by Luke2236 »

The only knives I have that aren’t users belonged to my grandfather. I have several carter Cutlery kitchen knives and a couple of his neck knives. I was born in the early 80’s and grew up watching MacGyver so I will always keep a sak around. My carry knives are Spyderco.
Wanted: M4 PM 2 or manix M4.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I just have a collection of knives I use to varying extents. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I sort of collect handmade fixed blade hunters- knives that I won't use but I enjoy looking at them. I have a few fixed blades that I bought to use but I don't have much opportunity to use them. I buy folders to use and most of my good folders I actually do carry and use. So even though I collect a few knives I don't consider myself a real collector.