Lil Native just keeps getting better

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Lil Native just keeps getting better

Post by Doc Dan »

I liked the Lil Native back lock quite a lot when I got it. But the more I use it and the longer I have it, the better I love it. The regular Native does not fit me, but this little knife feels good in my hand and is pretty slicey . It is stout enough, too.

What do you Lil Native owners think?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Re: Lil Native just keeps getting better

Post by Doc Dan »

What I’d like to see is this backlock in Elmax.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

It's too thick behind the edge for my taste, the blade is shorter than I'd like and I hate that bead blast finish but these aside It fits my hand quite well. I would buy one in Elmax with forest green G10 handle though... satin finish please.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Lil Native is one of my most favorite Spydercos to date. After living in the actual city of Boston for a number of years, I had gotten so used to carrying small knives that I just developed a preference to knives with a 2.5" blade or smaller.

It has everything going for it that I wanted in an EDC knife. 2.5" blade, g10 scales, no hump from the spyderhole, and a deep carry clip. It really is like EDC perfection for me. I love how stout the knife is overall too. I feel confident doing anything I need with the Lil Native because of how robust it feels. I personally prefer the compression lock model for the wire clip though.

If I didn't enjoy collecting Spyderco so much, I could settle with just the Lil Native forever.
-Nick :bug-red
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I'm looking forward to getting my first. While I generally prefer larger knives, I also enjoy having a smaller one with me as well.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I agree that a satin blade would be preferable.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

I actually prefer the stone wash finish. It guaranteed that only the cutting edge was sharp. Every satin finished spydie i've purchased has had a sharp thumb hole that i've found uncomfortable.
And i actually find it quite attractive.
And I'm loving the comp lock for minimizing risk of cutting me whilst i close the knife.
I don't hate my backlocks. Not at all. I can close them with ease. But my father has seen me and shudders even knowing the finger choil keeps my hands safe.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I love the stone wash on the Shaman and Lil Native. Especially the Shaman pocket clip. To each their own :D
I've got the compression lock Lil' Native and I like it a lot.

Most small knives tend to be delicate. I have lots of small knives that are awesome, but nothing I would describe as heavy duty. The Lil Native is a tank, while still having a full flat grind for good cutting, and a nice point. When I have to carry something small, but still want something robust, the Lil Native is it. (Would love a hawkbill version :D )
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Gonna find out on Monday, hopefully...
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Tried both models in the store, went with the lockback.. Great EDC carry.. was like a razor out of the box, too. Fits me like a glove!
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

We’ve been teased with the possibility of a slipjoint version. Yes please!!!!!!
jdw

Post by jdw »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:06 am
We’ve been teased with the possibility of a slipjoint version. Yes please!!!!!!
If the HH UKPK exclusive is doing as well as it seems they may run a version.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
attila

Post by attila »

It's a great design, but the bland backlock version is uninspiring for me. The thickness behind the edge is also a bit too fat for such a small knife.

I look forward to my St. Nick's exclusive compression lock.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I used the fabulous back lock Lil Native a good bit today...as a pocket knife. It did whatever I wanted it to do very well. I opened bags of nuts, cut up a box, sliced up an apple to eat, and other similar tasks in knife really did well.

This knife would be a good candidate for testing steels.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

I have the compression lock version from when they first came out. I agree it's a little thick behind the edge. Otherwise, I see it as new platform that will undoubtedly gain popularity especially with different steels.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Really like mine. I too find the Native 5 a poor fit for my hand. The Native 3 is nice, but not the 5. I might have got the CL version if it had the better clip but it has the wire so I got the lockback with its much better clip. I don’t mind the stock thickness or bte thickness on this sturdy little guy. I don’t use such a short blade on things that really slicey thinness is required. I do agree satin finish would’ve been better.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My Lil’ Native lockback shouted masterpiece the instant I got it in a full grip (with my index finger in the choil). My uses since have shown it to be a tiny workhorse that is far more nimble than the Techno/Techno2.

I had no expectation of the Lil’ Native being slicy like the Chaparral, so BTE metrics are no disappointment to me.

In this regard, and much else, the Lil’ Native is much like the Urban. The latter has a bit more edge but a thinner handle (for which the hump does serve to compensate in my largish hands). I prefer the former’s fuller grip and can live with the slightly shorter edge.

I worry that a Lil’ Native slipjoint, should it materialize, as I hope it will, might spell doom for the Urban.

However, if Spyderco changed the manner of tightening the Urban’s pivot so as to avoid overtightening, thus alleviating the spinning pivots that some besides me have suffered, and if Spyderco also promoted the Urban as the LW and less-pricey alternative to the Lil’ Native, we would have two small but sturdy Spydie models, one made in Italy to feature European steels, the other Golden-made to feature American steels.

Whatever happens, I’d love the Lil’ Native to usher in select steels, even ones from Europe, should the Urban go away...
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Love it. I have 4 other natives and while the little native is smaller than I usually carry it is almost always enough for the task. I also like how it is made, it is like an old steel dive watch, solid and well fit together. I do usually carry the regular size natives but I do often carry the lil native too!
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain