So when does this forum start speculating about the upcoming discontinued models???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: So when does this forum start speculating about the upcoming discontinued models???

Post by wrdwrght »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:32 pm
I don't mind there being lightweight versions of any model. Bring them on. But i hate seeing them flat out replace G10 models, especially those with liners. I fully understand the market's obsession with weight reduction, but it's unfortunate. G10 models have more of a classic and durable look. FRN seems like plastic.
Our sentiments are the same, but as much as some want lighter versions, Spyderco itself sees FRN as a cost-saver once a model has proven itself a winner and worthy of molds. G10 (I prefer it but secretly admire FRN’s ductility) is apparently much more expensive on a unit-basis.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
wrdwrght

Re: So when does this forum start speculating about the upcoming discontinued models???

Post by wrdwrght »

Double post.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I hope the hundred pacer sticks around - I hate October - I guess I'll put aside some cash
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:53 pm
I hope the hundred pacer sticks around - I hate October - I guess I'll put aside some cash
Yes, time to put away some cash for Rocktober!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sn0wman72 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:29 am
I would add the Polestar and Alcyone to the list

It´s been discussed in two other threads, but let me say anyway: I myself overlooked the Polestar for the longest time, just quite recently realized what a great design and knife it probably (never handled one) actually is.. I prefer FRN, but the textured G10 on the Polestar looks great also bladeshape and the amount of edge you get. It´s just the linerlock (nothing really wrong with it, but I prefer backlocks) that keeps me from getting one. But I perhaps will if it really is going to disappear...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I can see the collaborations like the Tropen, Subvert, Brouwer and Schemp Bowie going away. Probably a few fixed blades like the Sustain and Serrata. I could see some of the “special” standard models go away too like the Damascus Delica/Endura, the G10 Dragonfly and the tattoo Dragonfly. I hope the Squareheads and Dogtag folders don’t go away, because I want one but not sure which yet haha. I do kind of hope the Serrata gets discontinued because I’m very interested in the cast 440c for some reason, but can’t afford it now. If it got discounted I’d definitely look at grabbing one.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.