grasshopper sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rabbitanarchy14

grasshopper sprint

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i have been looking at the grasshopper for awhile but i seem to have an issue with it. i dont care for smooth metal handles anymore and would love to try one. so i am asking if anyone would like a sprint in frn/g10 or if sal is working on one. i am not worried about the steel as much because 14c28n is a decent enough steel.

i have a manbug and i feel it is just slightly to small and to upsize the dragonfly is much bigger. i feel that the grasshopper would fit perfectly in between these 2. the squeak and chicago are very thick dense and heavy compared to a DF or MB.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Ric

Re: grasshopper sprint

Post by Ric »

Have you checked out the Dragonfly so far?

Perfect little knife!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is an interesting idea. I don’t know how much traction it’s going to get. Still a small knife like this by in a little bit nicer does have its attractions.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

G10 might be feasible, doubt FRN would be due to the cost of the mold.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

14c28n? Is that some sort of special model? My 2019 catalog says the blade steel is 3cr, which is CERTAINLY no where near as good as 14c28n. If they did make the trio in 14c28n it would be a lot more interesting than they are now.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Ez556 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:15 am
14c28n? Is that some sort of special model? My 2019 catalog says the blade steel is 3cr, which is CERTAINLY no where near as good as 14c28n. If they did make the trio in 14c28n it would be a lot more interesting than they are now.
Their website says Sandvik 12C27! LOL

Looks like theres a mystery to solve here! SCOOBY DOO! WHERE ARE YOU!

On a serious note, The Grasshopper is the only one listed as Sandvik 12C27. Both the Bug and Honeybee are listed as 3Cr.
-Nick :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd be ok with stainless if it had a better steel. I'd also like a Honeybee in a nicer steel for my keys. I like that it's slimmer and fits better on keys than a Ladybug. Stainless makes sense for that reason because it's tougher, I don't have much need for scale texture on a keychain knife. If the Grasshopper came in G10 it would also be a lot more expensive, and then you run into the "premium value folder" debate and people lose their minds about how much it costs. I've made this same thread about 7 years ago and it didn't go over very well.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Well, I looked in my 2018 catalog and it also says 3cr, which Knife Center agrees with. I looked at Spyderco’s website, and they do list 12c27 Sandvik, but then when I checked Blade HQ they list 8Cr13Mov! In all the pictures I’ve found online one side of the blade says Spyderco and the other side says China, so we may never know the secrets of what steel the Grasshopper truly holds.
Likes FRN
sal wrote:
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If a locking folder would meet the OP's needs, he might want to consider the A G Russell Simple 3" Lockback. 3" is the closed length, so it's just a bit less than a quarter inch longer than the Grasshopper closed and has a 2.5" blade that's .2" longer than the Grasshopper's. It has an FRN handle, 8Cr13MoV steel blade,weighs 3/4 of an oz, costs under $20, comes in 4 colors and, perhaps most importantly, is available.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

yes it is 12c27 sorry i knew it was sandvick. that is a nice knife but i am really looking for a replacement for my manbug but i think i will just stick with it.
it is a nice looker grasshopper.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I think a steel upgrade would be a good thing. G10...only if the cost was not high, and it would be I’m afraid. Think G10 Manbug.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I think it's a little funny that folks aren't into 12c27 and 14c28n, but ask for aeb-l. I think AEB-L is chemically equivalent to 13c27 and very similar to 12 and 14c. I like them all in my Moras. The 'fine grained' Swedish stainless steel are nice, even if maybe they aren't HTed hard enough for the Afi crowd.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I’ve been thinking about this all day, and if the steel is in fact 12c27 that makes the knife a lot more interesting. I’m a big fan of 14c28n and I love my stainless Mora, so even though I don’t think I have experience with 12c27 (I’m not sure what my “stainless” Mora Bushcraft actually is) I would love to try it as I like my Swedish steels thus far. As others have said, FRN carries a big cost for the mold and G10 may make it cost prohibitive, but it would be cool if they did some sort of texturing or milling on the stainless handles. That would certainly add grip and visual appeal, and I don’t think it would add too much cost depending on what they do. I’m thinking of some simple fluting or some nice channels such as what’s on the titanium handled Byrd’s, or the pattern molded in the handle of the Centofante 3. I’d go for that for sure.
Likes FRN
sal wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:21 pm
I’m afraid.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:52 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:21 pm
I’m afraid.
Yeah, they grow ‘em big back home.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:00 pm
Ah, hahaha! :)

I'd have never believed it if I hadn't seen it Doc. They'd have to make a mess on your windscreen I'm tipping. :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:09 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:00 pm
Ah, hahaha! :)

I'd have never believed it if I hadn't seen it Doc. They'd have to make a mess on your windscreen I'm tipping. :p
Great on the Barbie.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
AndreFazanaro

Post by AndreFazanaro »

Hey folks. I know it’s an old post but I have one for 6 hard (for the purpose) use years, splitting cord, slicing paper boxes, peeling fruit, and last year it became a blade play. For a keychain, is an excellent folder. If I had some to complain it was just the missing pivot screw just like in Ladybug and manbug just to tighten it up.
The blade shape looks like a micro military. Fits very well on keychain but the stainless handle finish scratch very easy.

Sorry for my English. It isn’t my native speak.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Did anyone ever figure out if it's Sandvik or 8cr?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.