Spyderco's DLC Coating

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Spyderco's DLC Coating

Post by Sharp Guy »

"....I've heard spyderco's DLC isn't thick enough to really be effective in preventing corrosion. It's essentially cosmetic."

The above quote was a statement made on one of the Facebook groups. What do think of this? Are there different application levels for DLC?

I remember some discussions about DLC in general and I recall Michael Janich commenting on some. I don't recall the details and don't have time to search for the info at the moment..
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mattysc42

Re: Spyderco's DLC Coating

Post by Mattysc42 »

DLC on its own isn’t very helpful against corrosion because it’s porous. Where DLC shines is when combined with oil or another rust inhibitor, as it absorbs the inhibitor and doesn’t let it rub off the way it would on a satin blade.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I’ve had dlc coated Spydercos for years and never have I ever had any corrosion issues. I live in Kansas too so sweaty humid summers are the norm here and dlc has always done me well. I’ve also cut up beer cans like an idiot to impress friends and it leaves “scratches” on the coating but after more use and oiling they fade away because they’re not really scratches but material left by the aluminum. Dlc is the toughest stuff you can get on a blade. I’ve had Emerson’s with their black coating that chips off like nobody’s business and striders and benchmades with black oxide and nothing holds up like Spyderco and Hinderer DLc Coated knives. Just get them use them and see. You won’t regret it.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Unfortunately I have only limited experience with Spyderco's DLC and much more experience with Cold Steel's. Cold Steel's DLC is next-level imo, being much better than what I've seen from other brands (excluding spyderco - not enough experience to say). I've never seen rust come through and it's extremely abrasion resistant. They used too have very poor, almost pointless DLC coating back when they used AUS8 for everything. I'm not sure what they did but it's incredible now. Not a big fan of the high gloss finish they do though. I much prefer the flat/matte black finish of spyderco's DLC. I need to get another spyderco DLC model and put it through the paces (had to sell my last one and never got the chance to). I will only give an opinion once I've owned and tested several models. Some DLC coatings are without a doubt a tad thicker than others. Other variables exist as well. Someone could easily have a bad experience with one knife and write off DLC completely. But as far as I know, it is absolutely for corrosion and abrasion resistance, stopping sun reflection, discretion, and other things. It's not just aesthetics.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

spyderHS08 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:03 am
I’ve had dlc coated Spydercos for years and never have I ever had any corrosion issues. I live in Kansas too so sweaty humid summers are the norm here and dlc has always done me well. I’ve also cut up beer cans like an idiot to impress friends and it leaves “scratches” on the coating but after more use and oiling they fade away because they’re not really scratches but material left by the aluminum. Dlc is the toughest stuff you can get on a blade. I’ve had Emerson’s with their black coating that chips off like nobody’s business and striders and benchmades with black oxide and nothing holds up like Spyderco and Hinderer DLc Coated knives. Just get them use them and see. You won’t regret it.
I already have some Spydies with DLC and my experience is similar to yours.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:24 am
spyderHS08 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:03 am
I already have some Spydies with DLC and my experience is similar to yours.
+2
vivi

Post by vivi »

Spydercos DLC is almost as good as H1 in my experience. Complete game changer when it comes to corrosion resistance. I have no idea how this is still a debate. To me its like seeing people question whether stainless steel rusts less than carbon steel.
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:26 am

Spydercos DLC is almost as good as H1 in my experience. Complete game changer when it comes to corrosion resistance. I have no idea how this is still a debate. To me its like seeing people question whether stainless steel rusts less than carbon steel.

Have you tried a DLC 52100 or DLC M4 blade? The ones I have don't show any signs of rust as I don't really have corrosive sweat or live near the ocean or put them away wet or anything, but I have seen people claim that these rust-prone steels will rust through the DLC coating. It definitely helps to a degree, as my uncoated 52100 blade would rust just looking at it funny. But I am not so sure I believe that a DLC 52100 will be as rust free as H1. It would be nice to see some experiments in that regard. But don't count on me intentionally rusting my DLC 52100 Manix for the sake of science! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

A few weeks ago I was carrying my 52100 DLC Manix had some rust spots on the edge. Intentionally cut through some rope and cardboard and those materials just about scrapped away all the rust. When I got home I put the edge to the brown stones and cleared it all up. Mineral oil to the edge and good as new ever since!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Mattysc42 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:50 am
DLC on its own isn’t very helpful against corrosion because it’s porous. Where DLC shines is when combined with oil or another rust inhibitor, as it absorbs the inhibitor and doesn’t let it rub off the way it would on a satin blade.
First I’ve heard this. Now I’m intrigued.

Do other DLC devotees oil their blades to gain rust resistance, if not just to clean them?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:56 am
Mattysc42 wrote:

Do other DLC devotees oil their blades to gain rust resistance, if not just to clean them?
I oil all my DLC blades, even S30V just give it that glossy shine. But, I also do so with my M4 and 52100 for those reasons, but also as an extra barrier just as a precaution.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Does Spyderco (and Cold Steel) actually do their own DLC? Or are those blades sent out to a vendor (plating house?)?
vivi

Post by vivi »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mattysc42 wrote:

I don't.
:unicorn
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Traditionally Spyderco's position has been that coatings are for light control. Any added corrosion protection is purely a secondary benefit.

Quoting from an old thread:
TazKristi wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:53 pm
Water Bug wrote:This is my opinion... the whole purpose of black coatings on :spyder: s, Leathermans, Chris Reeve One-Piece Range, etc., is to...

1) Prevent the reflection of light (whatever form it may be) because you're trying not to draw attention to yourself (think military in a war zone and SWAT law enforcement).

2) Provide additional protection from rust and corrosion.

Although black coatings look cool and tactical, that was not their intended purpose. Their intended purpose was to subdue light reflection. So, it matters not that a black coated blade gets scratched up from use... what matters is that it doesn't reflect light to draw the crosshairs of a sniper your way.

Again, my opinion. Just use the knife and chalk up the scratches as "war scores."
It might be worth noting, a coating can (and often does) actually make rust/corrosion worse. Water Bug, you are correct, the intended purpose is light discipline. :cool:

Kristi
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mattysc42 wrote:

I've always oiled my dlc and other coated blades. Figured if i was oiling the edge i might as well do the whole blade, especially before storing them for any period of time. I thought it was probably over kill, but now I'm glad to have always done it. I have noticed that the dlc will soak up the oil as well, so I believe that it's porous.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.