Bradley folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lilmac24

Bradley folder

Post by lilmac24 »

Can we get a Bradley folder 2 with g-10 handle scales and CPM 20CV steel, the Bradley currently is m-4, which is a terrible ruster, and I am an outdoor welder and in the summer the Texas heat is terrible and I sweat like a dog. Along with it can you put a DLC coating on it?
p_atrick

Re: Bradley folder

Post by p_atrick »

Given Bradley's affinity for M4 (and PSF27) I doubt you would see a version with 20CV. Maybe if it were an exclusive?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I have yet to have any M4 rust on me and I'm in the mountains of North Georgia.

If you haven't tried M4, I would suggest giving it a whirl. It is quite stain resistant. My Mantra has only the faintest sign of patina after close to a years usage, whereas Rex45 rusted on me within two hours. Mineral oil only, no DLC.

Otherwise, get a Caribbean. ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

M4 is an absolute rust bucket in any salty or sweaty environment, unless you sweat Aquafina. Slightly better than 1055 or other mild common steels. It's a good steel though, as far as production knives go.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
termite

Post by termite »

lilmac24 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:24 pm
Can we get a Bradley folder 2 with g-10 handle scales and CPM 20CV steel, the Bradley currently is m-4, which is a terrible ruster, and I am an outdoor welder and in the summer the Texas heat is terrible and I sweat like a dog. Along with it can you put a DLC coating on it?
Welcome to the forum, lilmac. I carry a lot of knives in M4 and knock on wood (or my head) never have rust problems. I polish them when I get them and then use wax (Renaissance here...expensive, but a can lasts a loooong time). I've heard others use any paste wax. Same way I treat table saws, planers...whatever. The Bradleys are real nice.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

M4 and 52100 rust pretty easily in my experience. I'd love a GB1 and GB2 in DLC Cruwear with Blurple Peel Ply G10.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

IMO, a Bradley's not a Bradley without M4.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:57 pm

I'd do DLC M4 with Jade G10. I'm surprised BHQ hasnt done this yet.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum lilmac!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:57 pm
I whole heartedly agree, it would be a shame if it were ever changed. Just requires a bit of care. I don't carry mine often during the summer months, but winter time my GB2 is at least a once a week carry.

It can be carried in high humidity, you just have to care for it prior to and after carrying each day. Sometimes a cleaning and coating of oil midday as well doesn't hurt, if you have the time.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I also wouldn't want a Bradley in anything other than M4. Only thing I want is that awful peel ply to be reolaced with real c.f. If you have to use that knife on the job where you're rusting it often, try some good coating. Mineral oil or whatever you like. The EDCi spray works well too.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Live across the road from the beach in Tropical Northern Australia and use a GB1 with no issue, Hunting, camping and 4x4ing knife of choice. Have left it on the front porch table that gets sea spray sometimes and no issues.
Don’t know why so many think M4 is a rust magnet. Patina magnet yes rust magnet No

Think many have never used it and just go by what they read

Pacific Salts for saltwater fishing. Have taken the PM2 in DLC M4 jade once or twice still looks brand new
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:18 pm
Only thing I want is that awful peel ply to be reolaced with real c.f.
What makes you think it's so awful? It is real cf by the way. It's just a thin layer of cf laminated over G10. It's extremely durable and low maintenance. I've never heard of anyone having issues with it. I honestly think it's just a mental thing for a lot of people. They'd be fine with it if they didn't know any better.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

CPM154 and green canvas micarta
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Tims

Post by Tims »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:25 am
CPM154 and green canvas micarta
This would get me interested. Great combo
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

The only thing that would get me is a K390 sprint. I've used the GB1 with no problems.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

standy99 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:28 am
Live across the road from the beach in Tropical Northern Australia and use a GB1 with no issue, Hunting, camping and 4x4ing knife of choice. Have left it on the front porch table that gets sea spray sometimes and no issues.
Don’t know why so many think M4 is a rust magnet. Patina magnet yes rust magnet No

Pacific Salts for saltwater fishing. Have taken the PM2 in DLC M4 jade once or twice still looks brand new
San Diego is right by beach but there's very little humidity. Proximity to the ocean isn't everything.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:42 am
standy99 wrote:

San Diego is right by beach but there's very little humidity. Proximity to the ocean isn't everything.
Nearly 70-90% humidity in the build up to the wet season where I live ;)

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/ ... 4015.shtml
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

standy99 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:50 am
Pelagic wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:42 am
standy99 wrote:

Nearly 70-90% humidity in the build up to the wet season where I live ;)

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/ ... 4015.shtml
What is the prevailing wind direction?

If you live right on the beach and the wind is blowing extremely humid salt air directly from the ocean toward your m4 knife and it never rusts, don't ever sell that knife. It is special.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

My sweat turns M4 from satin to dull after an afternoon at work. My Manix2 even started pitting after a few days of inside-waistband carry.

Nobody's saying M4 is a bad steel. Spyderco has a lot of models in a lot of steels, but not every model has a stainless option.

If Spyderco had good experiences with the Urban, AEBL would be (IMO) a good pick for the GB. CPM154 makes sense as a "balanced" option, but AEBL is my pick.

K390 would be a performance upgrade over M4, sure, but not in a way that will change who can carry the knife.
This knife isn't a slicing monster anyhow. I know some people find the lack of carbides/edge retention "boring", but Spyderco needs a few more knives designed for toughness rather than edge retention.

LC200N would be an interesting pick for the GB, but the liners etc would still be a liability in environments where that would make a big difference. Maybe a Titanium-lined "GB Salt" could work, but I'm assuming the cost difference would take it out of the price range most of us are looking for.