Removing rust from DLC M4?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SchizoidHorse9

Removing rust from DLC M4?

Post by SchizoidHorse9 »

My DLC M4 Millie is showing some light pitting after a couple of hours out in the humid weather... How do you guys pull out that rust without removing the coating? I normally keep it coated in Marine Tuffglide, but rushed out of the house this morning without an application.
Last edited by SchizoidHorse9 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Spydies:

Blurple S110v PM2, KW Green CTS-204p PM2, DLT Tan Satin 20cv PM2, DLT Red m390 PM2, BBS Blue Satin m390 PM2, DLT Red 20cv Manix2, BHQ Jade M4 Military, BHQ Jade M4 Yojimbo2, BHQ Jade M4 Native5, St. Nick's Red DLC 4v Lil Native Compression, Carbon Fiber s90v Shaman Sprint, LC200n Waterway, Blue-Gray V-Toku2 Endura Sprint, Purple Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Spydiechef, Ikuchi, Smock, Gayle Bradley 2, Sheepsfoot Caribbean PE, Dogtag Carbon Fiber, Red Check Tenacious, Cara Cara 2.
SG89

Re: Removing rust from DLC M4?

Post by SG89 »

Can you post a pic?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Maybe a plastic scraping tool of some sort? It would take some elbow grease but wouldn't hurt the DLC.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

First I’ve heard of dlc rusting.
I’d like to see pics too.
SchizoidHorse9

Post by SchizoidHorse9 »

20190808_132728-min (1).jpg
Current Spydies:

Blurple S110v PM2, KW Green CTS-204p PM2, DLT Tan Satin 20cv PM2, DLT Red m390 PM2, BBS Blue Satin m390 PM2, DLT Red 20cv Manix2, BHQ Jade M4 Military, BHQ Jade M4 Yojimbo2, BHQ Jade M4 Native5, St. Nick's Red DLC 4v Lil Native Compression, Carbon Fiber s90v Shaman Sprint, LC200n Waterway, Blue-Gray V-Toku2 Endura Sprint, Purple Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Spydiechef, Ikuchi, Smock, Gayle Bradley 2, Sheepsfoot Caribbean PE, Dogtag Carbon Fiber, Red Check Tenacious, Cara Cara 2.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

You could try coating the blade with oil and gently rubbing it in a circular motion with Grade 0000 steel wool. Ensure you wash away any steel wool particles afterwards from the blade with plenty of oil and be extremely careful not to get any particles in the pivot area. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Buy some Flitz in a tube and using a cloth rub it, The flitz will not hurt the DLC and will remove the rust.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:59 pm
Buy some Flitz in a tube and using a cloth rub it, The flitz will not hurt the DLC and will remove the rust.
I taught you well grasshopper hahaha.

OP... don't forget some mineral oil to bring back the shine afterwards. Should be good as new.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Not sure what I'm seeing there but have to ask, how can dlc rust and the bare edge be clean?
PStone

Post by PStone »

Barkeepers friend. The powder is a bit more aggressive than the liquid. Available at most grocery stores for just a couple bucks.
SchizoidHorse9

Post by SchizoidHorse9 »

jpm2 wrote: Not sure what I'm seeing there but have to ask, how can dlc rust and the bare edge be clean?
It's been in the upper 90s to low 100s, and it's a fairly humid region here. I work outside, so it's probably from sweat, and the spots are on the portion of the blade that sits above the grip area, on the inside against my leg, so it was probably pressing on me, not breathing. You can see some discoloration from what I assume is sweat around where the spots are. I assume that's why the bare steel doesn't have any, is because it seems like it was caused by direct prolonged contact.
Current Spydies:

jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

SchizoidHorse9 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:34 pm
jpm2 wrote: Not sure what I'm seeing there but have to ask, how can dlc rust and the bare edge be clean?
It's been in the upper 90s to low 100s, and it's a fairly humid region here. I work outside, so it's probably from sweat, and the spots are on the portion of the blade that sits above the grip area, on the inside against my leg, so it was probably pressing on me, not breathing. You can see some discoloration from what I assume is sweat around where the spots are. I assume that's why the bare steel doesn't have any, is because it seems like it was caused by direct prolonged contact.
Ah yeah, now that I think of it, I have seen folded knives spot above where they sit in the handle. Still surprising it happened on a coated blade. Is wore down in that area by any chance?
Can you feel those spots if you run your fingernail across them?
Last edited by jpm2 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:14 pm
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:59 pm
I taught you well grasshopper hahaha.

OP... don't forget some mineral oil to bring back the shine afterwards. Should be good as new.
Indeed you did master Po https://youtu.be/W2yIkDVs0cA :D
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:23 pm
Barkeepers friend. The powder is a bit more aggressive than the liquid. Available at most grocery stores for just a couple bucks.
Seconding this.

I do have to say, however, that m4 is probably the least sweat-tolerant steel I've ever experienced. I've avoided the m4 shaman and will continue to do so until they help it out with some DLC.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I've seen people use a rust eraser bought on Amazon.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Could the discoloration on the DLC be something other than an iron oxide, perhaps even an adhesion failure?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:39 pm
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Seconding this.

I do have to say, however, that m4 is probably the least sweat-tolerant steel I've ever experienced. I've avoided the m4 shaman and will continue to do so until they help it out with some DLC.

Have you tried 52100? That one is even worse than M4 in my experience.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Seconding this.

If only there were a stainless steel that came close to having the edge stability and retention potential of m4.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

jpm2 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:57 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Seconding this.

If only there were a stainless steel that came close to having the edge stability and retention potential of m4.
cruwear ain't stainless, but it hits the sweet spot for me.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:01 am
jpm2 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:57 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Seconding this.

cruwear ain't stainless, but it hits the sweet spot for me.
Yeah cruwear is one of those inbetween compromise steels, not what I care for personally.