Delicafly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
T_MAC686

Delicafly

Post by T_MAC686 »

I got to thinking how useful the larger handle of the Delica might be on the dragonfly wharncliffe blade. If Spyderco were to make this a model would anyone be interested? Obviously there would have to be design tweaks to make the blade and handle mesh better but the photo gives you an idea of what I was imagining.
Attachments
49C21539-909F-4604-A4C6-AD6A5185D754.jpeg
Wartstein

Re: Delicafly

Post by Wartstein »

Why (other then maybe for legal reasons)?

The original Delica Wharnie blade can do anything the DFly can... and more.
Both blades even have the same thickness as far as I recall.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Knivesplus could do that for you by modifying a delica wharncliffe. Similar to the kahr arms delica but ffg and much more wharncliffe-y
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:46 am
Why
Like you said, legal restrictions

Because some people’s hands might be larger and fit better on a Delica handle

Because some people prefer small blades with larger handles

Because a longer handle can give you more leverage over the small wharncliffe blade

Because Spyderco can hah
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:55 am
Knivesplus could do that for you by modifying a delica wharncliffe. Similar to the kahr arms delica but ffg and much more wharncliffe-y

This is true but I think it would be cool to see this come from Spyderco without the need to modify an existing knife. Your suggestion is probably the most feasible though because I doubt this would ever actually happen hah
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Don't get me wrong i like your idea but I am just not sure spyderco would go for it as a production knife. Would probably need to get a dealer to commission an exclusive. Also for ease of production they would probably just use the Delica 4 wharncliffe blade and cut it down to 2.5" or whatever it needs to be.
Spydergirl88
FK

Post by FK »

I really like shorter blades in medium handle,,,, most likely not enough demand for Spyderco production,,,, dealer exclusive ?

Regards,
FK
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Not for me thanks!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

DF2 already fits my hand much better than the Del4 because of the choil. I'm not sure trading up to a Del4 handle would be an improvement at all, at least for me...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:40 am
DF2 already fits my hand much better than the Del4 because of the choil. I'm not sure trading up to a Del4 handle would be an improvement at all, at least for me...

I agree, I love having a choil when using a knife with a smaller blade. I feel like it gives you a lot of good control over the blade
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I can understand the reason for wanting something like this. However it would have limited appeal.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:13 am
I can understand the reason for wanting something like this. However it would have limited appeal.

Yea I feel something like this design would appeal a lot to a few people, and very little to the majority of users..
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

T_MAC686 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:35 am
I got to thinking how useful the larger handle of the Delica might be on the dragonfly wharncliffe blade. If Spyderco were to make this a model would anyone be interested? Obviously there would have to be design tweaks to make the blade and handle mesh better but the photo gives you an idea of what I was imagining.
The Kahr version of the Delica is pretty close to what you sugest.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

spyderwolf wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:34 am

True but this would be a true wharncliffe and FFG. I much prefer the look of the dragonfly blade to the Kahr blade
SG89

Post by SG89 »

What about these scales on a shortened wharnie delica blade
https://bladeforums.com/threads/spyderc ... n.1390160/
Spydergirl88
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

There's also the QBall that sits between the Dragonfly and Delica in size. But the blade is still over 2.5", so if that's the length limit you need to hit, the QBall won't work. And of course it's a lot more expensive, due to the materials and lock used.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

It’s certainly an interesting concept, I was just thinking to myself that carrying a smaller blade might be useful, but I really dislike the handle on the Dragonfly. This would be a nice mixture.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Ez556 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:59 pm
It’s certainly an interesting concept, I was just thinking to myself that carrying a smaller blade might be useful, but I really dislike the handle on the Dragonfly. This would be a nice mixture.

I don’t mind the handle on the dragonfly but the Delica gives me more purchase and feels more hand filling, which makes it a more comfortable handle for me.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

T_MAC686 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:51 am
spyderwolf wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:34 am

True but this would be a true wharncliffe and FFG. I much prefer the look of the dragonfly blade to the Kahr blade
Yep,me too.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

T_MAC686 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:00 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:46 am
Why
Like you said, legal restrictions

Because some people’s hands might be larger and fit better on a Delica handle

Because some people prefer small blades with larger handles

Because a longer handle can give you more leverage over the small wharncliffe blade

Because Spyderco can hah

Good points! :)

It was my question, that I did not put right:

WHY do "some people prefer small blades with larger handles" would have been the better way to ask.

It´s true, if I really HAD to use a blade as small as the Dflys (for example due to legal restrictions) I´d prefer it to be mounted on a Delica handle during use, no doubt.
But I personally just can´t think of many (or even ANY) scenario, where I would like to carry a knife in the closed size of a Delica, but having only a DFly blade in use... (again, other than legal reasons). Imho a Delica sized blade (still quite small) can do any task as good as a DFly blade can, but some tasks better. I like to carry my Chap LW for example not because the blade is small, but because the package in pocket is (and the blade relatively speaking quite LONG).

Maybe if the "Delicafly" was my knife for only a few very specific tasks - for example cutting shapes out of leatehrpatches on a cutting board or the like - I´d see a reason or at least no disadvantage in it.

Again, I am just courious what reasons other, maybe more experienced than I am, people have when they want to carry a "tiny" blade in a quite generous handle that would offer room for a longer one.
But for a quite regular EDC knife - I don´t know...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)