Shaman Questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Genotoxic

Shaman Questions

Post by Genotoxic »

Hello, ever since its release the Shaman has always been a knife I've considered but never purchased due to some things I consider flaws. That being said my overall 2 favorite models are the PM2 and the Native 5 and the Shaman is basically a cross between the two taking key things from each knife. Realizing this in theory the Shaman should be my perfect knife but I want some answers before dropping the cash.

Q 1: I know the nub at the end of the edge/start of the finger choil protrudes into the cutout for the compression lock tab. How much does this affect the feel of the knife when closing and or attempting opening the knife with the compression lock?

Q 2: When closed the tang of the blade sits proud of the handle by a decent margin. Other than driving me crazy does this negatively affect the knife when going in/out of the pocket or in any other way?

Q 3: When choking back to the primary choil does the thumb want to land in the compression lock region? I say this because on my Native Chief if I choke back the knuckle of my thumb lands far enough back I'm concerned with it being where the lock cutout would be on the Shaman therefore making it really uncomfortable.

I think some of these worries come down to me just being a bit of a baby because realistically the first two wouldn't matter much or at all to using it like a tool but at the end of the day the Shaman has fierce competition in Spydercos great lineup. So because of this I need to really check certain boxes before making a purchase.

Anyways, thanks in advance for everyone who shares their thoughts! Also feel free to provide any other thoughts on the Shaman as I'm curious about overall opinions of the knife.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Shaman Questions

Post by curlyhairedboy »

1) this is entirely up to the user - if you're bothered by it on the PM2 you might be bothered by it on the Shaman. It can be ground down without affecting lockup.

2) Nope, very smooth and friendly to the rest of the stuff in your pocket.

3) I wear XL gloves; when in the back grip my thumb lands above the compression lock region on the jimping.

The Shaman is in my opinion the knife my hands like the most. It's also the one that combines superior tip strength with a fantastic lock.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:05 pm
It's also the one that combines superior tip strength with a fantastic lock.
Thanks for the reply! Also this is the main reason im gaining interest in the knife, you get the strong tip/blade design of the Native with the really solid/fun to use lock of the PM2. Not to mention you also get some more size over the Native which is nice because I'm more comfortable with just a little more blade usually.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

1. I can still open the knife with the compression lock. You have to be a little more deliberate in your finger placement, but doable. Middle finger flick is my preferred opening for this knife. As for closing, I've got a pretty good rhythm down, I know just when to release the lock and move my finger out of the way so it swings shut. Otherwise if you leave your finger there the nub gets stopped by your finger and you have to close the blade the rest of the way with your thumb. But once you get the rythm down you don't even notice it anymore. Swings closed with ease. The weight of the blade make opening and closing this knife a lot of fun.

2. No. It has never effected function in any way. Not even a little. It sticks out far less than the hump of a PM2. The Shaman is great in pocket and better in hand.

3. Depends how far you choke back. To just behind the
50/50 choil. My thumb is easily on the spine jimping, I could extend my thumb past the jimping if I stretched it out. Now if I choke back so far that my pinky finger is slipping off the handle and Im holding on with three fingers, yeah, your thumb could hit the compression lock if you weren't paying attention.

I own 30ish Spydies, the Shaman is my favorite. Stout blade with a flat spine, but good tall flat grind so still plenty slicey. Great open close action. The handle is great, hard to go back to flat scales after getting used to it. The smooth G-10 is awesome (doesnt wreck your pockets, and it's contured so easy to get a solid grip). The stonewash blade and clip look great. Wouldn't change a thing about it. A functional solid work horse, with great ergos. If more people could actually handle this knife I think they'd have a hard time keeping it in stock.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:05 am
If more people could actually handle this knife I think they'd have a hard time keeping it in stock.
100% agreed, it's very special in the hand.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:05 am

I own 30ish Spydies, the Shaman is my favorite. Stout blade with a flat spine, but good tall flat grind so still plenty slicey. Great open close action. The handle is great, hard to go back to flat scales after getting used to it. The smooth G-10 is awesome (doesnt wreck your pockets, and it's contured so easy to get a solid grip). The stonewash blade and clip look great. Wouldn't change a thing about it. A functional solid work horse, with great ergos. If more people could actually handle this knife I think they'd have a hard time keeping it in stock.
I think you and curlyhairedboy are going to end up costing me some money :D ! Hearing your guys thoughts plus doing my own research it seems like the contoured handles take the usual great Spyderco ergonomics and just bring it up to another level. Most likely going to sell my Native Chief and pick up a Shaman instead... great knife but its a little too large and it doesn't have the beefed up aspect like the Shaman making me have a hard time using it and I don't need a dust collector when I could have a Shaman putting in some work!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ive got them both, and like them both, but yes. The Chief has a very fine point and thinner blade. Great for piercing and slicing. When it comes to cutting a roll of paper towels in half, only the police 4 does as well as the chief. I wouldnt call the chief or p4 delicate, but the Shaman is a heavy duty knife. It doesnt cut a roll of towels as well as the Chief, but it could take more abuse.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:13 pm
Ive got them both, and like them both, but yes. The Chief has a very fine point and thinner blade. Great for piercing and slicing. When it comes to cutting a roll of paper towels in half, only the police 4 does as well as the chief. I wouldnt call the chief or p4 delicate, but the Shaman is a heavy duty knife. It doesnt cut a roll of towels as well as the Chief, but it could take more abuse.
For me the Native Chief is competing against the Military which fills a very similar role, problem I have with both those knives in a work situation is with how long the blades are + the fine tips.. poking them into boxes filled with metal objects gets a little scary.

Both knives are super strong and inspire confidence in hard cutting tasks where your'e putting all your force into a cut but after rounding my fair share of tips I'm starting to give my knives a little sympathy

My Chief is beautiful though and I hate to sell it but neither it or the Shaman are cheap knives so a decision must be made. That being said I doubt ill be able to resist a sprint run in the future!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

chief's on my list to get, but the shaman is definitely a better fit for the majority of my needs. The upcoming cruwear micarta version is going to be amazing.
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:12 am
The upcoming cruwear micarta version is going to be amazing.
Cruwear fits the knife so well, a tough and stout folder with a tank of a steel... unless I end up hating the knife (which is on order btw the s90v/CF variant) I'll definitely be getting that if I have the chance!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Let us know what you think!
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:24 pm
Let us know what you think!
Will do! ETA is Tuesday if Canada post doesn't disappoint me like usual.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Genotoxic wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:26 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
The upcoming cruwear micarta version is going to be amazing.
Cruwear fits the knife so well, a tough and stout folder with a tank of a steel... unless I end up hating the knife (which is on order btw the s90v/CF variant) I'll definitely be getting that if I have the chance!
Oooh you got the S90V CF one? Good choice man. Good choice. I just like to stare at mine. So nice.

Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:07 pm
Genotoxic wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:26 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Oooh you got the S90V CF one? Good choice man. Good choice. I just like to stare at mine. So nice.
Totally! The way the CF hits the light with the contouring and flats looks soooooo nice... luckily blades Canada has a few left in stock. Figured I'd get the fancy model in case they sell out and I end up loving the model so I dont kick myself. Your pic just proves I made the right choice, I can always get a plain S30V one later as a true beater.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I just got to try and handle a Shaman quite extensively two times, but don´t own one myself. But maybe my replies to your question help in addition tothose already given, exactly because they come from a person who has not used the Shaman for a long period of time, so the "used to" factor is out of play.

1.) If you generally can live with a comp. lock in such a big, hard use style, supposedly glove friendly work knife (for me this lock is not the best choice here), I think the "in-the-lock-protruding" part of the choil will not bother you when operating the lock. I got used to it immidiately, after a few openings and closings I did not even really notice it anymore.

2.) Of course I also tried how the Shaman carries: In one word: Just great for such a rather big, heavy knife. The "tang of the knife sitting proud of the handle" is in no way uncomfortable , when the knife is pocketed, and does in no way impair how the knife "goes in and out of the pocket". Though I can only speak for tip up carry, might be different with tip down.
Aesthetically / designwise speaking, that "sitting proud tang" does not bother me at all, in fact I think it totally fits the work horse, "real tool" look and purpose of the Shaman. So I LIKE this designfeature actually (while for example on the Endura I would rather have it not, though it does not really bother me there either)

3.) No. Not with my L to XL hands.

Generally speaking I have to say again: The Shaman is a knife I really should not like in theory / just by it features: Rather heavy; large choil taking away edge length; thick blade; compression lock, especially in a "real, hard use"-knife.
BUT: I DO like it a lot, and absolutely want to own one sone day. It feels just so perfect in my hands, both choked up and choked back, cuts amazingly well for a thick blade (due to the blade beeing also TALL, which makes for a better slicing geometry), and, other than the weight, really disappears in the pocket given its rather big size.
And I really like the stonewashed finish of the S30V version (which I´d prefer over the cf one).

Why don´t I have one then already?

- Though I am one of those who thinks the Shaman is really worth every cent, it still is a bit expensive for me;
- In my day to day life I probably would not carry it too often, cause I prefer lighter knifes (and an Endura does everything I want for me, plus a sabre grind Endura probably is not really less strong than the Shaman)
- and, yes, sorry to say it once more: The compression lock...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:11 am

Generally speaking I have to say again: The Shaman is a knife I really should not like in theory / just by it features: Rather heavy; large choil taking away edge length; thick blade; compression lock, especially in a "real, hard use"-knife.
BUT: I DO like it a lot, and absolutely want to own one sone day. It feels just so perfect in my hands, both choked up and choked back, cuts amazingly well for a thick blade (due to the blade beeing also TALL, which makes for a better slicing geometry), and, other than the weight, really disappears in the pocket given its rather big size.
And I really like the stonewashed finish of the S30V version (which I´d prefer over the cf one).

Why don´t I have one then already?

- Though I am one of those who thinks the Shaman is really worth every cent, it still is a bit expensive for me;
- In my day to day life I probably would not carry it too often, cause I prefer lighter knifes (and an Endura does everything I want for me, plus a sabre grind Endura probably is not really less strong than the Shaman)
- and, yes, sorry to say it once more: The compression lock...
I think you've got much better will power than I resisting buying the Shaman Wartstein :D. The fact you haven't owned the knife for months is helpful though, gives me an idea of what to expect on first impressions/first few days of carry which honestly is a critical time in forming your opinion. Plus the wider range of people that answer my questions the better feedback I get!

For my question #2 the more I've been looking at the knife the more its settled in and not a bother that the tang isn't streamlined with the closed handle, its first and foremost a tool and it would have to sacrifice something important to fit completely in the handle.

I think I'll really like this knife! The weight isn't a factor for me at work because I've always got tools in my pockets weighing pounds so I've realized a few ounces in a knife wont overwork my belt. Also I'm a compression lock fan so I guess it'd be a positive for me. Can I ask the reason for your opinion on the comp lock? Completely out of curiosity, although I know you're a back lock guy.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Genotoxic wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:10 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:11 am

I think you've got much better will power than I resisting buying the Shaman Wartstein :D. The fact you haven't owned the knife for months is helpful though, gives me an idea of what to expect on first impressions/first few days of carry which honestly is a critical time in forming your opinion. Plus the wider range of people that answer my questions the better feedback I get!

I think I'll really like this knife! The weight isn't a factor for me at work because I've always got tools in my pockets weighing pounds so I've realized a few ounces in a knife wont overwork my belt. Also I'm a compression lock fan so I guess it'd be a positive for me. Can I ask the reason for your opinion on the comp lock? Completely out of curiosity, although I know you're a back lock guy.
Man, you´re right, it´s really hard for me NOT to buy a Shaman... ;) (and I most likely will eventully anyway, and "just" the G10 /S 30V version, which is perfectly fine for me..). It´s just: I can´t and don´t want to have TOO many folders (and except one BM Minigrip all my quality folders are Spydies), generally / for financial reaons, and cause I could not really carry and use all of them any more if I had too many. And though I am NOT one of those who say the Shaman is overpriced (it is NOT in my view, but worth every cent), it is still quite expensive compared to lets say my usual Endura / Stretch and so on models (especially here in Europe...)

If weight is not a concern of yours PLUS you are a compression lock guy: You really HAVE to get a Shaman imho! Ergonomically one of the best designs I ever experienced in a folder.

Now: You ask, why I am not a real comp. lock fan or at least clearly prefer a backlock: Sure I´ll give you my reasoning, though some people probably have heard this (more than) enough... ;) To those: Just stop reading here!

First let me say: The compression lock is an ingeniuos idea and design, no doubt! I am sure it is also a very strong lock (though that´s somewhat irrelevant, cause any lock Spyderco makes is strong engough in use imho).Plus, it has a very short "learning curve" till people get "good" with it and can flick and fidget with knives.

Its drawbacks (for me!), compared to a backlock:

- No bias towards closing, can open in the pocket
- CAN be closed one handed without having the fingers in the blade path, but the back lock is superior here: More ways to do it with a backlock, plus normally a COMP. lock folder is held in a somewhat unsafe (concerning dropping the knife) "pinch grip" while one handed closing.
- The comp. lock for me is not a good choice for bigger outdoor / hard use folders: Harder to operate with gloves, or wet / cold / greasy fingers than a backlock. Plus, again, more risk of dropping the knife when closing one handed. The colder / number your fingers are, and the heavier the knife is, the worse that gets.
- A point that can be seen as a plus or a minus: Most comp. lock knives are open constructions, while backlock knives have a closed back.
Open construction: Better for cleaning, but the handle is less comfortable than a closed back when squeezed hard and over a long period of time.

So, all in all: I think one reason why the comp. lock is so popular is based in the tendency, that knives more and more get "lifestyle-items", and not so much tools that are really used very often and seriously. I am convinced, that anybody who really uses his folders frequently and in various conditions, will quite soon get to the point, where using a backlock feels at least as easy as using a comp.lock (I for example can flick my backlock folders with all fingers), plus the backlock is suited for a wider range of conditions (especially in harder and/or outdoor use)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Genotoxic wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:02 pm
Hello, ever since its release the Shaman has always been a knife I've considered but never purchased due to some things I consider flaws. That being said my overall 2 favorite models are the PM2 and the Native 5 and the Shaman is basically a cross between the two taking key things from each knife. Realizing this in theory the Shaman should be my perfect knife but I want some answers before dropping the cash.

Q 1: I know the nub at the end of the edge/start of the finger choil protrudes into the cutout for the compression lock tab. How much does this affect the feel of the knife when closing and or attempting opening the knife with the compression lock?

Q 2: When closed the tang of the blade sits proud of the handle by a decent margin. Other than driving me crazy does this negatively affect the knife when going in/out of the pocket or in any other way?

Q 3: When choking back to the primary choil does the thumb want to land in the compression lock region? I say this because on my Native Chief if I choke back the knuckle of my thumb lands far enough back I'm concerned with it being where the lock cutout would be on the Shaman therefore making it really uncomfortable.

I think some of these worries come down to me just being a bit of a baby because realistically the first two wouldn't matter much or at all to using it like a tool but at the end of the day the Shaman has fierce competition in Spydercos great lineup. So because of this I need to really check certain boxes before making a purchase.

Anyways, thanks in advance for everyone who shares their thoughts! Also feel free to provide any other thoughts on the Shaman as I'm curious about overall opinions of the knife.
I've been meaning to answer this for some time because I am a huge fan of the Shaman. I have my CF/S90V version right here by my side for reference as I answer these questions. The Shaman is in my top 3 Spyderco knives of all time alongside the PM2, Manix 2, and Military.

1 - The nub in the cutout doesn't bother me at all. I thought it would, but it simply doesn't. But I always open the knife with my thumb on the big hole in the blade so that is a big factor in it being a non-issue. Some people (I have recently learned) like to open compression lock knives by depressing the tab and flipping the knife open. It would bug them I guess, but I could care less.

2 - I never really thought about this and it certainly hasn't brought itself to my attention so it is a total non-issue. For me. Maybe it would be some kind of issue if you carried tip down. I don't, and I doubt it would be even then. The corner has been tastefully rounded in just the right way.

3 - Nope (I'll keep this one simple)

This is just a superb knife. I love the thick blade stock. The contoured scales are wonderful. It fits in my hand like it was made just for me.
For such a big stout knife, it really carries like a smaller knife in pocket. The contoured scales have a lot to do with this.

And yes, I am quite glad I picked up the CF/S90V sprint, no regrets there, though it was a tad pricey It is one of my all time favorite knives.

A brief tangent here. I am surprised how much attention is paid to how knives open and close. The most important thing ought to be how the knife functions when it is being used as .... a knife! Maybe the second on how it carries. On the other hand, I am totally hung up on the Spyderco hole. I hate studs in the worst way. Worse than splinters in my underwear. Anyway, the Shaman is superb when open and being used as a tool and I love the compression lock, no apologies from me there.

I was pretty doggone sure I was going to like the Shaman before I ever got one and it has only grown on me since.
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

Quick update because I've been too busy to sit down and give a proper reply on here.

The Shaman I ordered came a day early so I've got it in my hands now BUT apparently I didnt get lucky because the copy I got has a pretty uneven grind and the way it was ground is already starting a lot of recurve near the back of the edge. I can fix this but on a sprint where I'm paying for fancy steel I dont want to have to sit for hours grinding it away to get a proper bevel! Plus my detent is super scratchy and rough despite taking it apart and cleaning it 2 times now. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Other than that the knife is beautiful and you guys weren't kidding about comfort. I really like this knife but I'm going to contact the place I bought it from and see about swapping it out for another potentially... it's too expensive of a model to be unhappy about things like that in my opinion, just over 450 CAD to the door!

Anyways first impressions are that this might easily become my favorite knife and right now its top 3
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

Genotoxic wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:02 pm

Bro. Just get it. You'll love it.

I'm not tryna' flex on suckas, I'm just establishing my bona fide Soyderco enthusiast credentials.