Seriously considering a native salt how's everyone's experience been so far?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lonerider1013

Seriously considering a native salt how's everyone's experience been so far?

Post by lonerider1013 »

Any suggestions? Have two h1 knives and am a huge native fan, any suggestions, and how have everyone's knives been holding up?

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
JuPaul

Re: Seriously considering a native salt how's everyone's experience been so far?

Post by JuPaul »

I carry my native salt during all my fishing trips and canoe/river trips, and I use it for mushroom hunting trips when I'm gonna be cutting in the wet dirt and later prepping and cleaning my haul. I love it. I have yet to chip or roll it despite occasionally hitting rocks, and of course I never have to worry when it gets filthy - just rinse it off and go. Occasionally I do wish for a larger blade, so I'm hoping I can add a Shaman or Manix 2 in LC200n someday, as well. Until then I usually carry a 4" fixed blade into the woods as well...hope to see more lc200n options in that category as well!

Mine was a little stiff out of the box, but if you already know you like the native platform, then you know they break in with use.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
DSH007

Re: Seriously considering a native salt how's everyone's experience been so far?

Post by DSH007 »

I've carried mine in the ocean, in lakes, on sweaty hikes in high humidity.. it's been my go-to for wet environments since I got it.. no sign of any corrosion at all thus far! I did get some little chunks of seaweed/gunk lodged in the pivot, but the knife comes apart/goes back together easily for cleaning, so no issues there! LC200N has been great! If you like the Native, I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't get this knife! Go for it!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve not held a native, so I’ve never bought one.... but the native Salt is a fantastic looking knife.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

It’s a great knife. The Native Salt is at least as rust proof as the Japanese salts and the pe version has a notable advantage in edge performance over H1. Mine too was a little stiff out of the box but smoothed out within a week or two.
Pickmansmodel82

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

This blade is a great fire and forget sort. I’ve got one stashed in my hiking backpack, it’s been drenched in all sorts of liquid, and just rinsed off afterwards. No rust no fuss.

The steel also reacts well to sharpening, I put a 20 degree edge on it, shaved hair with a 1200 grit finish. It also holds the edge for a decent amount of time and can easily be stropped back.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

The Native Salt is excellent. I really like mine. If you like the Native 5, and want the rustproof and lightweight get one.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’m glad You posted this. I’ve been torn between this knife and a salt 2 wharncliffe. I can’t make up my mind which one to get.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I use my native in the Kitchen daily. I use it for utility and for quick prep work when I dont feel like taking out the big chef knife. Would definitely recommend. I should mention mines a combo edge.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
C99c

Post by C99c »

I've not been a fan of the Native in the past but recently picked up a Native Salt. I'm really liking it so far.
Support Knife Rights. https://kniferights.org/

Don't buy knives from EBAY or AMAZON. There are plenty of good companies that will appreciate your business and don't sell fakes.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i posted a thread outlining my experience that i update occasionally. the gist of it is that it’s not my favorite spyderco, but it’s the one i would recommend to anyone looking for one knife. it’s been pretty great and i love being able to carry and use it without concern, even in the ocean (although my preferred ocean knife is my se pacific salt). if the native salt was a manix and had dlc, it would be perfect.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Thanks all.
Just ordered mine! It'll be my 4th native...

lonerider
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

^ Hahah, they do add up! Enjoy!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:24 am
Thanks all.
Just ordered mine! It'll be my 4th native...

lonerider

Great purchase. Carrying mine today. I'll probably get the SE version as well at some point.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Crux

Post by Crux »

I don't have one, but my guess is that it's an awesome knife. Not a Para 3, but still an awesome knife.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Have one in SE another in PE.

Honestly prefer the Salt2 for rust proof.

Knife is just too small.

Hate to once again be the one who fails to fall in with the crowd but LC200N Steel is over rated, prefer H1.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:35 pm

Knife is just too small.

Hate to once again be the one who fails to fall in with the crowd but LC200N Steel is over rated, prefer H1.
do you prefer pe h1 over pe lc200n? i like h1 too, but i love having a rustproof pe knife that holds an edge reasonably well and is still easy to sharpen.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

here it is!!!!
Love it so far...
lonerider
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:07 am
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:35 pm

Knife is just too small.

do you prefer pe h1 over pe lc200n? i like h1 too, but i love having a rustproof pe knife that holds an edge reasonably well and is still easy to sharpen.
I have not seen where LC200N truly holds an edge that much better they both loose their truly sharp edge fairly swiftly yet differently and they are both extremely easy to sharpen to hair popping degree.

H1 tends to loose its hair popping edge smoothly and evenly and dulls evenly but put it on the sharpmaker and within a few swipes good and sharp. I have also observed H1 can take a polished edge and perform very well in PE

LC200N does better with the brown rods and a toothy edge, polished edge not-so much.

LC200N losses the hair popping sharpness very swiftly then holds a reasonable sharp edge for a longer time than H1.

Yes I do prefer H1 it is a strange steel which I prefer for the way it feels when cutting. If it could be fully flat ground I am certain it would perform even better.

It feels more solid LC200N feels brittle and the edge while very sharp always feels like a false or insubstantial toothy brittle edge if that makes any sense this is purely subjective.

To be honest I sold both my Spydiechefs, my waterway and gave away my Serrated Caribbean.

Still have the two natives for now and a PE Caribbean.

The natives while very popular with many are just too small.

It has taken a lot of Spydie purchases to discover what I like and I am firmly in the camp of would rather sharpen an easy to sharpen more cooperative steel more frequently than not.

Would I buy a Native in H1 absolutely not.

Again too small but they have a place in the hot summer of Florida when I do not want any weight or size in the pocket even then though since discovering how well the Salt2 in PE and SE perform despite much down talking of H1 and it loosing the popularity contest the LC200N, natives do not get carried even in this role.

Thanks for the conversation Ladybug93 While typing this reply it helped me realize I need to sell those natives so someone will make use of them.

Recently I have received an education buying my first Delica because it was offered in Cruwear. My goodness what a difference a thin ffg blade makes and in Cruwear it is an incredible slicer love the way it feels when cutting.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

that’s another huge aspect of this discussion. lc200n can be flat ground. edge holding aside, that makes it a winner for a lot of people. i don’t care as much on my se pacific salt that i carry in the ocean to cut myself free in an emergency, but for edc, i prefer something more slicey.
current collection:
spyderco steels: