Polestar in bd1n?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderwolf

Re: Polestar in bd1n?

Post by spyderwolf »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:06 am
spyderwolf wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:38 am
The Polestar is the most underrated Spyderco ever made.It's a wonderful knife,and should be compared more with the Manix/PM,than with the Tenacious.I think it doesn't sell well because there are too much lock snobs who think the liner lock is a weak lock.It may be,if you use your knife as a weight rack,but if you use your knife as a knife,it's way more strong than you will ever need.

I would not consider myself a "lock snob" in that I would think a linerlock is too weak (it is not!).

It's for other reasons I prefer a backlock: Safety when closing and more importantly in the pocket, feel in hand when using the knife (no cutout), for me more plus more convinient ways of closing the knife and so on.

So like many do I just choose out of the many options Spyderco offers the combination of features I like the most. Like others do when it comes to steels, colors, handle materials and so on...
Nothing wrong with being a lock snob :).I'm a choil snob myself,i was just musing about why the Polestar is so ignored.I think a copression lock version would be serios competition for the PM.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

The other model that eats Polestar sales is the byrd Raven 2. The byrd has a choil and uses teflon washers (and plain black G10) but otherwise the two models are very close designs and the byrd is quite a bit cheaper than the Polestar.

I was looking for a relatively inexpensive "beater" knife to use working in the shop, etc., and although I considered both the Tenacious and the Polestar, I actually ordered a Raven. (But it's not here yet, so I don't have a first-hand impression yet.) I prefer knives with a choil, so that combined with the price made the byrd the clear choice.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:38 am

The Tenacious is why I think the Polestar doesn't sell that well.

I know sal says they're different knives, but to the average buyer, they're comparable. The bd1 isn't seen as enough of an upgrade. I know sal is super proud of the design, so maybe an upgrade to m390/204p?

I agree. I looked at this awhile back and thought an upgrade to CPM-CRUWEAR would have been more beneficial than BD1. Sure, the cost may have been $10 more give or take, but imagine being able to get a rock solid choiless linerlock in G10 for well under $80! I'll still probably get a Polestar and Alcyone at some point, but an $80 Cruwear version is much more compelling than a $65 BD1 version in my opinion. I love my Tenacious and wish these designs could be had in steels like Cruwear, 4V, etc. Whether that means doing it in China with imported steels, or moving production to Golden and making these premium models. The designs are stellar and I much prefer these to the Military, PM2, and Para 3.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I do agree that the designs themselves are stellar.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I have a polestar. Great knife. But it has deadly competition.
First off the tenacious it is not only the most known budget spydie it is also still a superb design and the maker has improved well over the years, and with its price tag almost half of the polestar well.
it is not such a big shock that the polestar bites the dust in that one...

Then indeed the other compeditor is the Raven 2.
I also have one of those and i must say overall the raven is the better knife in design and building quality.
And since it also is 20 euro less in price then the polestar makes it even better.

So i can honestly say the polestar needs some help.
Maybe a bit more advertising and bd1n steel could bump the sales. If they keep the price the same that is because the polestar is expensive to be a budget blade.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

This just kills me. Alcyone looks like a fantastic design. Just don’t think I can buy a Chinese knife. Liner lock is not my favorite but not a deal killer. Bd1 is not great. If it was made in Golden, with better steel like s30v or xhp and switch to a compression lock...it’s basically a wolfspyder and a nearly $200 knife. Maybe a little less because it’s not a collaboration. I want that knife! Wish there was a sprint.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I watched some reviews that said the detent was a little weak, making it not spydieflick as well. The detent wasn't overly weak, didn't shake open or anything, but it wasn't as snappy as other models. I do enjoy a good thumb/middle finger flick. These videos were all a couple years old so things might have changed, but it's a little worrisome.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

SF Native wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:22 pm
If it was made in Golden, with better steel like s30v or xhp and switch to a compression lock...
I've been saying that for awhile. A mid-size compression lock knife with no choil would be the best Spyderco in the catalog, I think. Basically a smaller Caribbean. All the mid-size compression lock knives currently available have choils. Well, except for the Lil Temperance.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:18 pm
SF Native wrote:
If it was made in Golden, with better steel like s30v or xhp and switch to a compression lock...
I've been saying that for awhile. A mid-size compression lock knife with no choil would be the best Spyderco in the catalog, I think. Basically a smaller Caribbean. All the mid-size compression lock knives currently available have choils. Well, except for the Lil Temperance.
Yes, a mid-sized Caribbean would be great. I would down for that.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

spyderwolf wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:32 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:06 am
spyderwolf wrote:
The Polestar is the most underrated Spyderco ever made.It's a wonderful knife,and should be compared more with the Manix/PM,than with the Tenacious.I think it doesn't sell well because there are too much lock snobs who think the liner lock is a weak lock.It may be,if you use your knife as a weight rack,but if you use your knife as a knife,it's way more strong than you will ever need.

I would not consider myself a "lock snob" in that I would think a linerlock is too weak (it is not!).

It's for other reasons I prefer a backlock: Safety when closing and more importantly in the pocket, feel in hand when using the knife (no cutout), for me more plus more convinient ways of closing the knife and so on.

So like many do I just choose out of the many options Spyderco offers the combination of features I like the most. Like others do when it comes to steels, colors, handle materials and so on...
Nothing wrong with being a lock snob :).I'm a choil snob myself,i was just musing about why the Polestar is so ignored.I think a copression lock version would be serios competition for the PM.

Then I probably just did not get you quite right... :)

I am totally fine with being a "lock snob" (though "snob" has a negative ring to me..) in strongly preferring a backlock over a linerlock.
But NOT because I prematurely and kind of arrogantly assume a linerlock would be weak (it is NOT weak!), but for other reasons, that I actually found out myself to be true in my use of knives...

Regardless, a backlock Polestar in BD1N (or S30V) would be very intriguing! Not only cause the edge goes all the way to the handle, but also because of the amazingly looking textured G10. I normally prefer FRN, but THAT specific G10 I´d really like to try and feel in hand.
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Probably i'm sentimental about liner locks,because my first einhandmesser was a Jules Herbertz i bought in Heilderberg in 2006.I also prefer FRN,but the Polestar's G10 is a joy to handle and the knife is just perfect for my hand.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I have an Alcyone and really love the design and the feel in hand. The "denim" g10 is great. The liner lock has a nice wide cutout (so it doesn't tear my thumb nail up). So why don't i carry it more? I think the better steel options on my delicas and natives just win out. But at the same time, it's too pretty to be a beater knife for me, so it's in a wierd niche: too nice for a cheap knife, but the steel doesn't fit a nicer knife. Bd1n, S30v or s35vn could definitely be a game changer for this knife, imo. I'd be interested to see sprint options here, too, but i doubt that's likely.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

spyderwolf wrote:
I actually never used a Tenacious - in what ways is the Polestar better (I got one used for the price of a Tenacious, but that was literally the only reason)
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:45 pm
spyderwolf wrote:
I actually never used a Tenacious - in what ways is the Polestar better (I got one used for the price of a Tenacious, but that was literally the only reason)
It's a much more refied design in every way.Blade geometry,g10,ergos...everything.Tenacious is bred and butter,Polestar is full grain bred with bio butter.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Since I just read in another thread that people seemingly rate even BD1 (and not only BD1N) over VG10 in certain aspects, I wonder even more while the Polestar isn't a success... (I personally have no experience with neither BD1 nor BD1N)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

This is the blade they should be selling at Walmart IMO. Also when is the Bow River coming in BD1N that would be amazing
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Smyles1977

Post by Smyles1977 »

Then everyone should be happy. It is now in BD-1N steel with Grey G-10. Unfortunately the Denim G-10 was changed. Although the ergonomics and design is still great. Not to mention the detent was one knife and not the line as a whole.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Smyles,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Smyles1977

Post by Smyles1977 »

Baron Mind wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:24 pm
I've been in the market for a budget knife, and remembered the Polestar was an option. Then I thought man, in bd1n this knife would be a lot more compelling.

So, anyone know if there are any plans to move the Polestar to bd1n?

They just came in. They moved to a grey G-10 instead of the blue translucent denim.
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:18 pm
SF Native wrote:
Uhhhhh.........How about the Mantra3?????