Polestar in bd1n?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Baron Mind

Polestar in bd1n?

Post by Baron Mind »

I've been in the market for a budget knife, and remembered the Polestar was an option. Then I thought man, in bd1n this knife would be a lot more compelling.

So, anyone know if there are any plans to move the Polestar to bd1n?
SF Native

Re: Polestar in bd1n?

Post by SF Native »

I asked the same thing about the alcyone about a month ago and several members said that bd1n is not in the plan. I’m guessing that’s the same for the polestar. Too bad. I think spyderco could use a few more choil-less g10 knives not in the delica/ endura/ stretch family.
sal

Post by sal »

That's what I thought, but I guess I was wrong as sales do not support my beliefs.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:15 pm
That's what I thought, but I guess I was wrong as sales do not support my beliefs.

sal
Why is that?

I know for me I want a backlock or cbbl. But I know a lot of people like linerlocksq and these knives have a lot to offer.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

For me it's really jusr the linerlock. A backlock-knife in a decent size with an edge all the way to the handle would be an instant buy for me. I'd prefer FRN over G10, but the latter would still not be a dealbreaker at all.
Sure an upgrade to BD1 would be nice too.
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I’m not in the market for budget knives which has kept me from picking up the alcyone. Maybe I shouldn’t be a snob and give it a chance. I like the design. The lil temp is one of my favorites. No choil, compression lock, ergonomic handle. Only down side is the thicker blade. The wolfspyder is a similar design. It’s on my list. I wouldn’t mind more designs like these.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:35 pm
sal wrote:

sal
Why is that?

I know for me I want a backlock or cbbl. But I know a lot of people like linerlocksq and these knives have a lot to offer.
Dan, I think it's splitting hairs in the Spyderco lineup a little too finely. Its a $67 MAP knife. $13 more gets you an Endela. You give up G10 for FRN, but you gain VG10, Japanese manufacture, and a back lock. $20 less gets you a Tenacious. Then there's the competition. $3 more ($70) gets you a USA made Kershaw 7777 Bareknuckle, with 14C28N blade, KVT ball bearing flipper, aluminum handles, and steel sub frame lock. That same $80 for an Endela also gets you a Cold Steel Code 4, made in Taiwan with a Tri-Ad lock, aluminum handles, and an S35VN blade. Those are just a handful of examples. Needless to say, the Polestar and Alcyone are in a very competitive price segment of the market.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ugaarguy wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:59 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:35 pm
sal wrote:

sal
Why is that?

Dan, I think it's splitting hairs in the Spyderco lineup a little too finely. Its a $67 MAP knife. $13 more gets you an Endela. You give up G10 for FRN, but you gain VG10, Japanese manufacture, and a back lock. $20 less gets you a Tenacious. Then there's the competition. $3 more ($70) gets you a USA made Kershaw 7777 Bareknuckle, with 14C28N blade, KVT ball bearing flipper, aluminum handles, and steel sub frame lock. That same $80 for an Endela also gets you a Cold Steel Code 4, made in Taiwan with a Tri-Ad lock, aluminum handles, and an S35VN blade. Those are just a handful of examples. Needless to say, the Polestar and Alcyone are in a very competitive price segment of the market.

I have to disagree a bit: What makes the Polestar (and the Tenacious) different from the Endela (Endura...) is that the edge goes back all the way to the handle. In other words: You get a whole lot of actual cutting edge in a comparabale very compact package.

THAT is something very rare in Spydercos lineup, especially combined with a backlock (which though most likely would need a stoppin, if it had not some kind of Ricasso) and in their "middle-ground" range (so Endura / basic PM2 price range), with steels like VG10 or S30V...

That being said: Anyone who happens to read some of my posts will know, that I totally like the Endela the way it is! Still, something like a Caribbean (also edge all the way back to the handle) featuring a backlock instead of the comp. lock would be VERY intriguing!
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

If you want a Spyderco back lock in that price range with no choil and minimal ricasso, the centofante is always there. Totally different knife though. Thinner, lighter, hollow ground etc.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:22 am
If you want a Spyderco back lock in that price range with no choil and minimal ricasso, the centofante is always there. Totally different knife though. Thinner, lighter, hollow ground etc.
Thanks for the suggestion! But had one already ;)
Liked many things about it, but the sabre/ hollow grind was not for me...
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

In my personal opinion, the lacking sales are due to the lack of name recognition. The Polestar and Alcyone are their own unique models, but no one talks about them or knows about them. I am well aware of them and I like them, and I even find myself going “oh yeah, those exist” when I’m thinking of a more budget knife. I think a Tenacious in BD1N at the same price would sell way better than a Polestar because you have that recognition. People go, “hey, I love my Tenacious/have heard great things about the Tenacious, I’d love to get this one with better steel/different scales” rather than “Oh, this knife is kind of like a Tenacious, I could also get this or this or this if I’m not getting a Tenacious”.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

The Tenacious is why I think the Polestar doesn't sell that well.

I know sal says they're different knives, but to the average buyer, they're comparable. The bd1 isn't seen as enough of an upgrade. I know sal is super proud of the design, so maybe an upgrade to m390/204p?
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

that inherently would make the price go up quite a bit.
i do agree bd1n may make it worth it. cheaper than a para 3 lw to try out the same steel.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

There was a giant thread about this already but I think the Polestar/Alcyone models aren’t obviously distinct from the Tenacious line. Apparently there are improvements but to someone looking at a photo and a price there just isn’t anything compelling over the Tenacious.

Another issue is I’ve never seen mention of these knives outside of this forum. Spyderco possibly didn’t shove them hard enough at reviewers. It may be a superior product in its price range but if people don’t see Nick Shabazz etc nodding their head at it nobody will know it exists.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

You know what, I realized I very rarely use the choils on my knives. Even the Para 3 and the Native 5, if I'm cutting something like cardboard I almost never use the choil. It's just not as comfortable for me when exerting any kind of force on a cut. I've also grown to appreciate fine grain low alloy steels. So while I would definitely prefer bd1n, I think I may pick one up anyway.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

zhyla wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:20 am
if people don’t see Nick Shabazz etc nodding their head at it nobody will know it exists.
He already did a review on the Polestar and Alcyone.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:38 am
maybe an upgrade to m390/204p?
I'm pretty sure Sal said they can't just go throwing super steels at China facilities. They won't work with them. They'd have to move production to another country. Then say goodbye to $65 and hello to $130+
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:00 pm
zhyla wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:20 am
if people don’t see Nick Shabazz etc nodding their head at it nobody will know it exists.
He already did a review on the Polestar and Alcyone.
You’re right! I either missed those or forgot. Just skimmed thru the Polestar video. Not convinced it’s really $20 better than a Tenacious.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

The Polestar is the most underrated Spyderco ever made.It's a wonderful knife,and should be compared more with the Manix/PM,than with the Tenacious.I think it doesn't sell well because there are too much lock snobs who think the liner lock is a weak lock.It may be,if you use your knife as a weight rack,but if you use your knife as a knife,it's way more strong than you will ever need.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

spyderwolf wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:38 am
The Polestar is the most underrated Spyderco ever made.It's a wonderful knife,and should be compared more with the Manix/PM,than with the Tenacious.I think it doesn't sell well because there are too much lock snobs who think the liner lock is a weak lock.It may be,if you use your knife as a weight rack,but if you use your knife as a knife,it's way more strong than you will ever need.

I would not consider myself a "lock snob" in that I would think a linerlock is too weak (it is not!).

It's for other reasons I prefer a backlock: Safety when closing and more importantly in the pocket, feel in hand when using the knife (no cutout), for me more plus more convinient ways of closing the knife and so on.

So like many do I just choose out of the many options Spyderco offers the combination of features I like the most. Like others do when it comes to steels, colors, handle materials and so on...