BBS DLC Paramilitary 2 Exclusive?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
koenigsegg

Re: BBS DLC Paramilitary 2 Exclusive?

Post by koenigsegg »

husq2100 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:37 pm
sok wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:09 pm
husq2100 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:55 am
First time ordering with BBS. Ordered Friday, only received shipping notification Wednesday, and that came from paypal.
I ordered on Monday and received a confirmation email from PayPal. I received a shipping notice via email from PayPal on Tuesday, and received package on Thursday(yesterday).

Edit* Yikes, I just noticed you are from down under.
Im not concerned about the shipping time in transit, it was just interesting to take 5 days to process and ship.
When they released the Pm3 m390 last time it took forever to ship as well. Not impressed for $15 it should def be done sooner rather than later..
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

koenigsegg wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:18 pm
husq2100 wrote:
sok wrote:
husq2100 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:55 am
First time ordering with BBS. Ordered Friday, only received shipping notification Wednesday, and that came from paypal.
I ordered on Monday and received a confirmation email from PayPal. I received a shipping notice via email from PayPal on Tuesday, and received package on Thursday(yesterday).

Im not concerned about the shipping time in transit, it was just interesting to take 5 days to process and ship.
When they released the Pm3 m390 last time it took forever to ship as well. Not impressed for $15 it should def be done sooner rather than later..
$15...I wish! lol

I ended up buying 2 (different) knives just to take the sting out of the international shipping they use.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

husq2100 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:28 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:18 pm
husq2100 wrote:
sok wrote:

$15...I wish! lol

I ended up buying 2 (different) knives just to take the sting out of the international shipping they use.
I forgot you said you were in Aus.. man I'm so over BBS. Take too long and over charge they can just keep the blade lol

But seriously the shipping thing is crap, charge 2 times the market rate and still suck at your job..
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
AliasNeo07

Post by AliasNeo07 »

Just got mine today. The fit and finish is horrible. I had to use force to actually open the blade of the first time. Now it's so tight that I literally cannot flick it open even with wrist action.

Pretty aggravating. Time to find my torx driver...
AliasNeo07

Post by AliasNeo07 »

soc_monki wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:13 pm
Just got mine. It's a beautiful knife! Perfectly centered blade, beautiful fit and finish. One problem though... Pivot is too tight! Not a big deal, I need to swap the pocket clip to tip up, then I'll tune the pivot and all will be well! Can't wait to start using it!

Update : swapped the clip to tip up, and loosened up the pivot just a tad (one side was WAY tighter than the other, theyre more even now). Classic PM2 action! Feels a little different though, probably because of the coating on the blade. I've really come to love the PM2!
For me to get the same action I get with my other PM2s from Bento or elsewhere I had to loosen this one up so much thay the screw is protruding past the scale in a niceable way. Something is wrong with this, just don't know what. Disappointing for a $200 knife. 5 out of the other 6 pm2s I had were perfect out of the box.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

AliasNeo07 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:53 am
soc_monki wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:13 pm
Just got mine. It's a beautiful knife! Perfectly centered blade, beautiful fit and finish. One problem though... Pivot is too tight! Not a big deal, I need to swap the pocket clip to tip up, then I'll tune the pivot and all will be well! Can't wait to start using it!

Update : swapped the clip to tip up, and loosened up the pivot just a tad (one side was WAY tighter than the other, theyre more even now). Classic PM2 action! Feels a little different though, probably because of the coating on the blade. I've really come to love the PM2!
For me to get the same action I get with my other PM2s from Bento or elsewhere I had to loosen this one up so much thay the screw is protruding past the scale in a niceable way. Something is wrong with this, just don't know what. Disappointing for a $200 knife. 5 out of the other 6 pm2s I had were perfect out of the box.
Sounds like a washer/pivot issue. Burr on the pivot bushing, problem with the dlc coating in the pivot hole, or a mangled washer.

Mine was tight and I had to open and close it with my hands. I just had to loosen my pivot a hair though and it is like my standard pm2 and freeswings and drops shut with the lock disengaged. I'd open it up and see what's wrong or send it to spyderco, they'll take care of you.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
sok

Post by sok »

AliasNeo07 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:53 am

I would send it back to Spyderco. This is too nice of a knife to be disappointed in. I have only owned three PM2s but my first one, from several years ago, had a similar issue. I tinkered around with it and found that if one of the scale screws was tightened down, the action would bind up. I ended up using a little loctite on this screw and just snugged it up a bit. I put a set of after market scales on this knife last summer and the same scale screw gave me the same problem and I solved it the same way.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Can people stop crying about the action of a knife? As long as it can open with a slow roll of the thumb, then there is technically nothing wrong with it and I doubt Spyderco would do anything for you...because that's what the knife is designed to do. It's not just for repeatedly flicking around and closing over and over again. The knife is not defective just because it can't be flicked.

The way people talk of always wanting an easy, free dropping, flickable knife makes me think that half of them around running around with a knife that has a lot of blade play or is a bit off-centered and probably a bit dangerous to use...just to be able to play with it like a toy.

I've got 7 knives with the compression lock and guess what...only 2 of them are drop free out of the box with no tinkering ever needed. As said, a simple tweek of the pivot should loosen it up a bit. But, slightly tweeking it a bit too much can easily allow blade play and that shouldn't be condoned or acceptable to the user. Safety should always rate over fun/flicky.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
sok

Post by sok »

I'm not crying. You're crying. Flicking a PM2 open isn't the issue for me. It is the one handed closing of the knife that is important. I can one hand close my Caly 3.5(backlock) and my Militarys(framelock and linerlock) with no problems. The PM2 without a little free drop is not ideal to close one handed. Some of us actually use our knives, and one handed closing is a must. The fact that it is fun to efficiently open and close a pocket knife is secondary.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:15 am
Can people stop crying about the action of a knife? As long as it can open with a slow roll of the thumb, then there is technically nothing wrong with it and I doubt Spyderco would do anything for you...because that's what the knife is designed to do. It's not just for repeatedly flicking around and closing over and over again. The knife is not defective just because it can't be flicked.

The way people talk of always wanting an easy, free dropping, flickable knife makes me think that half of them around running around with a knife that has a lot of blade play or is a bit off-centered and probably a bit dangerous to use...just to be able to play with it like a toy.

I've got 7 knives with the compression lock and guess what...only 2 of them are drop free out of the box with no tinkering ever needed. As said, a simple tweek of the pivot should loosen it up a bit. But, slightly tweeking it a bit too much can easily allow blade play and that shouldn't be condoned or acceptable to the user. Safety should always rate over fun/flicky.
Mine was difficult to open unless I used two hands. That's not right when it's designed to open one handed. I fixed it, no blade play and good action. I don't need drop free, but I do want smooth, non binding action. My para 3 isn't as free but Im not worried about it, it opens and closes smoothly.

I don't like blade play, and I like free action, but as long as a knife is smooth and easy to operate I'm good. Having to open a knife designed to open one handed with two hands is a little excessive.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
AliasNeo07

Post by AliasNeo07 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:15 am

I don't think that's true at all. The whole point of a compression lock for most people is one handed closing. Secondarily, it's the smooth action compared to a back lock. Those are the only two things it beats the back lock in - one handed closing and smoothness of opening. Otherwise,, a back lock is certainly stronger.

I don't even need it to be 100% drop free like my DLT ones, even though they should be. But I should be able to flick the pocket knife open with wrist action. I've never even seen a pocket knife that doesn't do that unless we are talking about slipjoints.

I'm not throwing hate at Spyderco. I love them. That's why I'm here. But I've carried an Endura or Delica in my pocket for the last 10 years. When I switched to PM2s and PM3s, it was supposed to be an upgrade. And except for this one, they all have been. That's all I'm saying. I'll send it back and I'm sure they will fix it.
sok

Post by sok »

Here is a pic of my new blue Paramilitary 2 and everything I own related to the model.
I am very happy with this latest purchase.
Last edited by sok on Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Are you guys all saying that you can't dial the action in to your liking by adjusting the torx screws, or you just expect it to arrive with an action that is perfect for you (but maybe not ideal for someone else)?? Is it a lack of education that this can be easily adjusted by the user? Being afraid of messing the knife up? I'm always so confused when people complain about action that can be adjusted in under a minute. :confused:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
sok

Post by sok »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:02 am
Are you guys all saying that you can't dial the action in to your liking by adjusting the torx screws, or you just expect it to arrive with an action that is perfect for you (but maybe not ideal for someone else)?? Is it a lack of education that this can be easily adjusted by the user? Being afraid of messing the knife up? I'm always so confused when people complain about action that can be adjusted in under a minute. :confused:
I can only speak for myself but my original camo/S30V PM2, that I purchased five or six years ago, was tight unless I loosened the pivot to the point that it was unacceptable. I tinkered around with it and found that if I removed one of the scale screws, that I could tighten everything else up and adjust the pivot to my liking. If I put the loose screw back into the scale and tightened it up, the action would bind up. I just left the screw quasi snug for a long time, but I never carried the knife much.

Last summer, I was thinking about getting rid of the knife but it seemed like a popular knife and I figured I would throw some aftermarket scales on it and give the PM2 another shot. For me, the carbon fiber scales changed everything and made me want to like it. Oddly enough, the same screw I had problems with with the camo scales, I still had problems with with the new scales. I put a drop of loctite on the screw and snugged it down until it affected the action and then backed it off.

My natural G10/M4 and blue G10/m390 variants were pretty much perfect.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:02 am
I adjusted mine just fine. No blade play, drops shut or swings free when I disengage the lock. It was just too tight out of the box. My s30 pm2 is the same, although centering is a tad off but no a big deal. My para 3 is a little tighter, but still falls shut or swings open easily.

But I could see there being a few here and there that have trouble getting them adjusted to their liking. I find it helps to loosen all the screws and then get the pivot set, then snug the rest. Seems to get everything set where it's going to work best to me.
sok

Post by sok »

I have to admit that I really didn't get the whole Zen and the art of tuning your Paramilitary 2. When I bought my first PM2, I hadn't really figured out that Spyderco was my favorite knife brand. A lot of knives that I was purchasing at the time were getting looked at and then pushed to the back of the drawer. This is what happened to my PM2.

Maybe I needed to graduate to a higher level of Spyderdom to appreciate the PM2. At the moment, it is my favorite knife.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I like tinkering. I worked on and setup my guitars, i do the same with my knives. Sometimes I just want to check out the guts, or clean them up and get them working smoothly again. It's very relaxing to me. Getting them to work the best they can is a fun little adventure sometimes, getting everything just right. Some people aren't into that, and that's cool.

I even took someone else's knife (Kershaw rj tactical) and cleaned it, regreased the torsion bar, lubed the pivot, got it all nice and centered with no play, and sharpened it. He was quite happy. I left it dirty on the outside however. Didn't want it appearing too clean! And it was fun for me to do that.

I guess that's why I like what I do... I get paid to make things work. Not mechanical, electrical, but maybe I should get more into mechanical stuff...
vgex

Post by vgex »

Love it. Color contrast is really popping. Unfortunately, my keys don't like the DLC finish. No issues with the lockup or blade play.

JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

sok wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:19 am
Here is a pic of my new blue Paramilitary 2 and everything I own related to the model.
Hey man are those the Flytanium CF scales on the DLC M4 in the center? They look cool... :cool:
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
sok

Post by sok »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:30 pm
sok wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:19 am
Hey man are those the Flytanium CF scales on the DLC M4 in the center? They look cool... :cool:
Yes they are. I liked them so much that I gave the same treatment to a Para 3.