BBS DLC Paramilitary 2 Exclusive?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: BBS DLC Paramilitary 2 Exclusive?

Post by abbazaba »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:12 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:07 pm
M390 is an import compared to 20cv, but the Satin/Red G10 M390 PM2 was only $140 if I remember correctly.
It was $159.25. :)
The first run was $150, and $140 each if you bought two.

viewtopic.php?t=76434#p1187249
Last edited by abbazaba on Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

SLOSpyder wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:49 pm
I think a reasonable comparison would be (shipped w/ CA tax):

DLT PM2 M390 Red - $171.60 (list $159.25)
BBS PM2 M390 Blue - $222.99 (list $189.95)

Diff of $51.39.

I don’t know if DLT charges tax to all states. But, CA requires it, so BBS shouldn’t be penalized for that since they are based here.

For many there's no sales tax.

Shipped prices below for Satin blade not DLC (excluding sales tax):
  • BBS PM2 M390 Satin Blue G-10 = $204.94
  • DLT PM2 M390 Satin Red G-10 = $159.25
Difference of $45.69.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I know this has been debated over and over, but I always think of Walmart vs my corner grocery store. Walmart can sell me a loaf of bread for $2 since they buy in huge bulk and carry hundreds of thousands of items. My local corner store has to charge maybe $3 since they can only order small quantities, and only carry a limited number of items. But I often shop at the local store to support their small business. BBS is a very small business, and carries a limited selection of only sypderco knives. I'm sure they can't afford to sell things as cheaply as a bigger dealer like DLT or BHQ (or to offer free shipping). And even those dealers often can't sell items as cheaply as mega-dealers like Amazon (and yet most people on here would tell you to pay the extra money rather than buy knives on Amazon). So personally, I'm ok occasionally paying a "small business tax", especially for an awesome exclusive. Of course everyone has the right to vote with their own dollars.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:35 pm
I know this has been debated over and over, but I always think of Walmart vs my corner grocery store. Walmart can sell me a loaf of bread for $2 since they buy in huge bulk and carry hundreds of thousands of items. My local corner store has to charge maybe $3 since they can only order small quantities, and only carry a limited number of items. But I often shop at the local store to support their small business. BBS is a very small business, and carries a limited selection of only sypderco knives. I'm sure they can't afford to sell things as cheaply as a bigger dealer like DLT or BHQ (or to offer free shipping). And even those dealers often can't sell items as cheaply as mega-dealers like Amazon (and yet most people on here would tell you to pay the extra money rather than buy knives on Amazon). So personally, I'm ok occasionally paying a "small business tax", especially for an awesome exclusive. Of course everyone has the right to vote with their own dollars.
I dont think the prices would be such a concern or stumbling point if it wasnt for the terms and conditions, the website, the communication etc.
SLOSpyder

Post by SLOSpyder »

JuPaul wrote:
I agree with you. Plus I don’t have to worry about their items selling out. I can pick them up when I’m ready.

I haven’t been around long enough to know everyone. But I see the complaints about the missing local shops. Everyone wants local mom n pops with amazon prices.
Last edited by SLOSpyder on Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JuPaul wrote:

If anything they should be able to sell them cheaper than DLT and BHQ. My perception/assumption/guess/theory (whatever you want to call it) is that Bento Box Shop is a single person with a closet full of knives and zero overhead who likely does this as a hobby in their spare time to supplement a normal 9-5. Big dealers have mountains of expenses. Just pure speculation on my part though since we never hear from the mysterious Mr. Bento. :D

I have bought from them a few times, most recently the M390 Delica. So while I do think they are gouging us majorly when they don't have to, my Spyderholism won't let me boycott them completely when something like the M390 Delica gets made. If they do an M390 Dragonfly I will be first in line, cursing the price, but grabbing probably 2 of them to make the shipping more palatable. :rolleyes:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The problem arises when BBS is allowed to offer dealer exclusives which takes away from other dealers offering them at much better prices with much better terms and customer service.

This year there have already been two dealer exclusives from BBS! That’s a lot when you consider much better dealers like BladeHQ with 4, KnifeCenter with 3, DLT with 3 and St. Nick’s with 1.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

RamZar wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:20 pm
The problem arises when BBS is allowed to offer dealer exclusives which takes away from other dealers offering them at much better prices with much better terms and customer service.

This year there have already been two dealer exclusives from BBS! That’s a lot when you consider much better dealers like BladeHQ with 4, KnifeCenter with 3, DLT with 3 and St. Nick’s with 1.

100% Agreed. And if you count the rerun of the M390 Satin PM2, that is actually 3 runs of exclusives that could have been done by dealers who offer fair pricing.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
SLOSpyder

Post by SLOSpyder »

To challenge the status quo, I'm playing devil’s advocate here.. isn’t the basic black s30v PM2 MSRP set as $216. This is a number set BY spyderco. So technically they have reduced the price for an exclusive less than that of a basic model. And fair prices are relative term. Costco can sell things cheaper because they sell more product and variety of products that negate losses they take on other items. Smaller shops must maintain their profit margins because they don’t have the luxury of selling things cheaper knowing that cheaper products will sell at a higher price. Otherwise companies go out of business.

I’m not defending BBS here, of course I want to pay less. But they funded an exclusive and have set their price. For me personally, if they re-release the M390 P3, I will be ordering day 1. It’s the consumer decision. Which is why I respect everyone’s decision to never buy from them.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I would be willing to pay full MSRP if this combo was released in a Military. I would feel like I was being over charged but ultimately I have other solid functional knives and this is a luxury item that's an individual monetary choice. It's why we have at least a semblance of a free market.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

Like most millennials, I was forced to sign a blood oath to be the most entitled person anywhere I go, and to make it known in every conversation I'm a part of.

Since joining this forum I've come to see that others are doing a far better job, and I need to step it up to make my millennial quota.

I've decided to fix the BBS issue once and for all. I just called my mom, in which I went into great detail how it's not fair that DLT offers free shipping and better pricing. Life should be fair. She assured me she would make some phone calls and I fully expect this local business be wiped off the map along with the rest of the local businesses my generation has destroyed.

Don't worry guys, be glad a millennial is finally here to fix these great injustices to our community. You're welcome.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

They can charge what they want and they will eventually sell out. The only reason these aren’t flying off the shelves is because DLT beat them to the punch and released theirs first. Also, had BBS released the dlc along with the satin it would have given people a choice. With two awesome M390’s right before the dlc I think most are PM2ed out. If they do another knife like the Yojimbo, Military, Shaman or Lil Native in this combo I will be first in line and pay whatever to get. It is still cheaper than finding a coveted model second hand.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

eRoc wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:02 am
Like most millennials, I was forced to sign a blood oath to be the most entitled person anywhere I go, and to make it known in every conversation I'm a part of.

Since joining this forum I've come to see that others are doing a far better job, and I need to step it up to make my millennial quota.

I've decided to fix the BBS issue once and for all. I just called my mom, in which I went into great detail how it's not fair that DLT offers free shipping and better pricing. Life should be fair. She assured me she would make some phone calls and I fully expect this local business be wiped off the map along with the rest of the local businesses my generation has destroyed.

Don't worry guys, be glad a millennial is finally here to fix these great injustices to our community. You're welcome.
Ahhh hahahaha. :p Winner! Thread closed! Move along folks, eRoc’s got this! :D
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:04 am
eRoc wrote:

Ahhh hahahaha. :p Winner! Thread closed! Move along folks, eRoc’s got this! :D
I enjoyed this too!!! And thank you for making me laugh. Up until this thread I was thinking what a bunch of winers we have become.

I understand BBS charges more than you care to pay ... can we move on now?

I'd actually like to hear what people think of their black m390's.

CG
Last edited by cycleguy on Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

When did scrambling to hit a 3-minute window in the middle of the working day or paying a 50-100% markup to some flipper on bladeforums or ebay become everyone's preferred method of buying exclusives? Personally I'm starting to think I like the BBS method better... it's around long enough to buy it on my own time, when I'm sure I want it and I'm not just buying the crowd hype, and if there's a 20-30% markup, better it goes to the dealer who's actually commissioning the exclusive than a leech.

I get that some people like the rush of getting a deal under the wire, and that's all good - but no need to go dumping on BBS for handling it differently. As many have pointed out, there have been plenty of other M390/20CV PM2 exclusives to have your fun with.

eRoc wrote:

As someone else who is frequently painted with that broad brush, thanks for the laugh. :D
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

RamZar wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:20 pm

This!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

eRoc wrote:

Lol yep calling Mom to fix your problems very Millennial indeed.. he,he, he you walked right into that one...
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

It is also nice to be able to purchase a knife, receive it, have a little time with it, and if you really like it you can purchase another. Nothing that can be accomplished in a few brief moments sell out ... and no I don't want to buy two and then sell one on ebay if I decide I don't want it ... I really hate contributing to ebay's and paypal's profits.

CG

Skywalker wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:44 am
When did scrambling to hit a 3-minute window in the middle of the working day or paying a 50-100% markup to some flipper on bladeforums or ebay become everyone's preferred method of buying exclusives? Personally I'm starting to think I like the BBS method better... it's around long enough to buy it on my own time, when I'm sure I want it and I'm not just buying the crowd hype, and if there's a 20-30% markup, better it goes to the dealer who's actually commissioning the exclusive than a leech.

I get that some people like the rush of getting a deal under the wire, and that's all good - but no need to go dumping on BBS for handling it differently. As many have pointed out, there have been plenty of other M390/20CV PM2 exclusives to have your fun with.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

That’s a really great looking knife!!

Some of the dealer exclusives and sprints I think represent an incredible value in this day and age. Maybe BBS pricing is the high side of fair. But so’s a full synthetic oil change on my pickup. And it’s only about 3 tanks of rot gut ethanol blend 87 too...
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I think that's one reason I haven't been interested in exclusives. I don't care to try and fight other people for something, anything. I don't partake in black Friday, or any of that stuff. It's just no fun to me. Still deciding if I want to throw down on a black and blue pm2, but I'm close to convincing myself lol!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela