Why no Byrd fixed blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Why no Byrd fixed blades?

Post by Doc Dan »

It seems to me that the Byrd line would be the right place for Spyderco to have budget friendly fixed blades. I wonder why this isn’t the case at present? I mean think about it, knives that we would want to use and abuse and not worry about the cost would be perfect coming from the bird line.

Maybe Mora could make them for Spyderco? But certainly Chinese made would be OK also.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Re: Why no Byrd fixed blades?

Post by steelcity16 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:16 am
It seems to me that the Byrd line would be the right place for Spyderco to have budget friendly fixed blades. I wonder why this isn’t the case at present? I mean think about it, knives that we would want to use and abuse and not worry about the cost would be perfect coming from the bird line.

Maybe Mora could make them for Spyderco? But certainly Chinese made would be OK also.

I've often thought the same thing. I would love a Mora-eque Byrd knife but with a longer fully spyderedged blade. Full tang with the end exposed for prying/hammering. Maybe one with 8" or 9" blade and one 6" blade.
Last edited by steelcity16 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

This would be awesome.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
sal

Post by sal »

Phil's new knife is made in China. It's a Spyderco, but we'll "hide-n-watch. I must admit it's been a challenge.

sal
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:22 pm
Phil's new knife is made in China. It's a Spyderco, but we'll "hide-n-watch. I must admit it's been a challenge.

sal
Sal, from what I've read here on the forum, the leather sheath has the been the big delay on the Bow River, if my understanding is correct. Would some form of synthetic sheath be easier to get produced, still at a suitable level of safety and usability, over in China?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

One of those Swedish knife makers already knows how to make a good knife very cheaply. Why could they not do the same with Spyderco? Spyderco already partners with Italy. The Swedish makers would be a lot cheaper. I can buy a Mora all day long for under $20.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I would LOVE a 8 inch flexible budget byrd fillet knife in 8cr13mov and no sheath. It's good having a cheap fillet knife that takes a screaming edge and at least repels SOME rust.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ugaarguy,

We would prefer no to make Kydex sheaths in China, at least at this time. We made the knife in China, which was not easy to get the quality we needed.

Hey Pelagic,

Let's see how the Bow River works out? We have had to change makers in the middle of a run more than a few times, and trash what had been made. Getting what our customers like and expect has its challenges.

Hi Doc,

Are you suggesting that the Mora is on the same quality level as what we produce?

sal
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:18 pm
One of those Swedish knife makers already knows how to make a good knife very cheaply. Why could they not do the same with Spyderco? Spyderco already partners with Italy. The Swedish makers would be a lot cheaper. I can buy a Mora all day long for under $20.
Low alloy steel, Stamped out partial stick tang blades with conveyor belt HT to sub 60rc, no cryo and molded plastic handles and sheaths made in enormous volume to cut cost per unit.

I like Mora knives too, I enjoy the design and price for what it is even though the edge rolls a lot in use.

I feel there is no need to copy Mora, some other companies have tried to cash in by making similar designs at similar prices, yawn. I'd rather pay more for better materials, processes.

Let Mora be Mora and Spyderco be Spyderco.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Trp2080

Post by Trp2080 »

Thanks for the insight on the bow river Sal and for spydercos dedication to quality looking forward to getting one no matter the wait
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:02 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:18 pm
Low alloy steel, Stamped out partial stick tang blades with conveyor belt HT to sub 60rc, no cryo and molded plastic handles and sheaths made in enormous volume to cut cost per unit.

I like Mora knives too, I enjoy the design and price for what it is even though the edge rolls a lot in use.

I feel there is no need to copy Mora, some other companies have tried to cash in by making similar designs at similar prices, yawn. I'd rather pay more for better materials, processes.

Let Mora be Mora and Spyderco be Spyderco.
I hear you. I think my major point is is that there are places that can make inexpensive but good fixed blades. And not only sweden which has other makers, and Scandinavian countries in general, but maybe countries like Vietnam or Thailand or Philippines Could also do something like this if China is Unable to produce knives to Spydercos specs.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'm still suoer excited for the Bow River. That and the Waterway are my two planned Spydie purchases for the year (if the Bow River makes it this year).

I'd love to see Soyderco keep pushing into the fixed blade market. Not sure how stoked on a Byrd I would be, but if Spyderco can put out more compelling offerings from between $50 to $200 (and not in frn handles) I'll be rejuvenating my Spyderco purchases. More than $200 on a fixed blade and I'm opting custom, but my drawer has tons of room for Spyderco fixed blades.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

sal wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:13 pm
Hey Pelagic,

Let's see how the Bow River works out? We have had to change makers in the middle of a run more than a few times, and trash what had been made. Getting what our customers like and expect has its challenges.
That is absolutely horrible news!! Hundreds of good knives gone and so much money wasted. I'll be patient. I don't think a cheap fillet knife requires a sheath though. At least that makes manufacturing more simple. Spyderco's 8cr13mov would be leagues above the competition in the price range. The key would be getting them to show up at Walmart and similar locations so average Joe's could try them and spread the word about the knife's performance to their friends/family. Could be a good business venture. Your average cheap fillet knife doesn't even like to get very sharp. Once people experienced Spyderco's 8cr13mov it would be very eye opening for them.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Hi Ugaarguy,

We would prefer no to make Kydex sheaths in China, at least at this time. We made the knife in China, which was not easy to get the quality we needed.

Hey Pelagic,

Hi Doc,

Are you suggesting that the Mora is on the same quality level as what we produce?

sal
No way! I did not mean to imply that. I was suggesting that if there were problems with China, maybe other places coukd be found that would keep the cost down but quality up. Where, I do not know.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:24 am
sal wrote:
Hey Pelagic,

That is absolutely horrible news!! Hundreds of good knives gone and so much money wasted. I'll be patient. I don't think a cheap fillet knife requires a sheath though. At least that makes manufacturing more simple. Spyderco's 8cr13mov would be leagues above the competition in the price range. The key would be getting them to show up at Walmart and similar locations so average Joe's could try them and spread the word about the knife's performance to their friends/family. Could be a good business venture. Your average cheap fillet knife doesn't even like to get very sharp. Once people experienced Spyderco's 8cr13mov it would be very eye opening for them.
A cheap fillet knife is a good idea, especially with Spyderco quality. Another market could be hunters, survivalists, and rescue.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

sal wrote:
I wonder if that is a general statement about the company's production history (Rhino, etc.) or specifically about the Bow River changing makers?
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Maybe a 8CRMOV knife,in the shape of a Mule,with FRN handles and a byrd eye hole? ;) I would buy a couple,even without a sheath.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

spyderwolf wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:42 am
Maybe a 8CRMOV knife,in the shape of a Mule,with FRN handles and a byrd eye hole? ;) I would buy a couple,even without a sheath.
Wow, pretty cool idea. I like the look of the Byrd hole, but don't like how it feels compared to the round spydie hole when opening a folder. In a fixed blade obviously it's just for aesthetics. I'd buy one.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:48 am
spyderwolf wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:42 am
Wow, pretty cool idea. I like the look of the Byrd hole, but don't like how it feels compared to the round spydie hole when opening a folder. In a fixed blade obviously it's just for aesthetics. I'd buy one.
Exactly.The only Byrd i had was a Meadowlark,and i didn't like the fell of the opening hole,and the elevated rim on the handle.It was stolen in the gym locker room,and i didn't feel the need to buy it again.But on fixed blade the hole it would only be there to show the pedigree of the blade,and it could be made very small,like the hole on the Bradley bowie.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.