CPK (Canadian UKPK) — Canada Law Questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gibs0n

CPK (Canadian UKPK) — Canada Law Questions

Post by gibs0n »

I’m excited for the 3.5” CPK, a Caly 3.5 sized UKPK is music to my ears.

But I’m confused on Canadian laws, because I know they’ve gotten wonky. Is the law a restriction on one hand opening, locking, or both?

Meaning, will the CPK like the UKPK and be one hand opening non locking? Or two hand opening non locking? Or two hand opening but capable of locking?

I tried finding the recent Canadian laws but couldn’t.

Thanks!
ihped1

Re: CPK (Canadian UKPK) — Canada Law Questions

Post by ihped1 »

I've ordered about 10 Spyderco knives from the USA since the decision and have had CBSA inspection tape on three of them, but none have been turned away.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publication ... 1-eng.html

This ruling changed Canadian law.

b. it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.

I think A has always been banned, but B is new to me. That basically leaves no knives other than slipits.

(b) Centrifugal knife (folding knife, butterfly knife, balisong knife) – A centrifugal knife is one that has a blade that opens automatically by centrifugal force when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.
Centrifugal force may be defined as a force, arising from the body's inertia, which appears to act on a body moving in a circular path and is directed away from the centre around which the body is moving. That is, centrifugal force is established when the blade of the knife may be opened with the flick of the wrist.

I think basically any knife other than a slipit can be determined by CBSA to open via centrifugal force because they can be flicked open with minimal manipulation.
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

Canadian myself and as far as I know as long as your folding knife is under 4" blade, being carried specifically as a tool and not for self defense (this is what you tell the cop) and isn't a gravity knife, automatic or Bali you're basically good to go.

I know there was stuff going on at the border with assisted knives and flippers and such but unless something changed within like the last week we can carry just about anything that's not an automatic or a massive 6" Coldsteel legally.

Just make sure it's a tool or work knife and not anything hinting at self defense or a weapon if you ever do get into the situation where a cop is checking your knife.

Other than that we've actually got pretty decent knife laws... that being said if they mess up getting folding knives shipped into here we won't be able to have nice things like Spydercos available to us besides their slip joint models.
gibs0n

Post by gibs0n »

Thanks both!

Here in Texas I can pretty much carry whatever, but the calypso family of knives (I include the UK/Urban/Squeak in that family) are my favorite ergonomics, and I’m love the simplicity of slipjoints.

Sounds like it doesn’t need to be two hand opening, so I’m imagining the CPK will be like a Caly 3.5 just with no lock. Perfect!