M390 Delica thoughts and input

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kyle8734

M390 Delica thoughts and input

Post by Kyle8734 »

How is everyone liking this model so far? This was my first Delica and I love it. Fit and finish was great and also had a really nice bevel right from the factory. Edge retention even from factory edge has been amazing, have yet to reprofile the knife only a few touch ups with the sharpmaker.
JuPaul

Re: M390 Delica thoughts and input

Post by JuPaul »

The BBS m390 delica has become my most carried knife these days (although the new Cruwear may give it serious competition). I haven't even had to think about sharpening it yet, and I have no complaints as far as fit/finish. Very happy to have it.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I like mine. I've been carrying and using it ever since they were released.
The Delica isn't my all-time favorite Spyderco model - I generally prefer larger blades - but it is decent and quite sufficient for my daily needs.
The opening on mine is a tiny bit rough at the very start, but otherwise no complaints regarding fit and finish. It has held up very well under hard use.
The M390 blade seems to hold a good edge and isn't difficult to sharpen. Shortly after acquiring the knife I reprofiled the edge down to about 13-15 dps. Since then I have been keeping it tip-top sharp using my 600 grit DMT card and a couple diamond strops, freehand, no microbevel. I'm pleased with the steel's performance overall.
I've cut wires, lots of cardboard, accidentally banged the edge against steel a couple times, and haven't seen any damage yet.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
FK

Post by FK »

The Delica 4 is one of my favorite FRN Spyderco knives. This M390 version is excellent quality with great steel,,,, I have ordered a back-up for future carry.

Regards,
FK
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Delica 4 is my all time favorite pocket knife. This is my first M390 which I've been wanting to try for sometime. Mine was hair shaving sharp out of the box. Don't know why the Delica 4 M390 isn't a standard factory offering alongside VG-10. I'm surprised they aren't all gone as I would take it over any PM2 I have or have passed by.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love the Delica 4. This is the knife that made me permanently switch over to Spyderco. I would buy that knife right now but I don’t want to pay nearly the cost of the knife itself in shipping. I don’t know why BBS charges so much for shipping when every other place only charges $21 to ship to me, with tracking and insurance.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

Love the M390 Delica. My first Spyderco was a Delica bought in the late 90's with the barrel clip. Still have it. I'm really excited to see these more premium steels offered in the Delica. Carry one daily since it is my favorite model. Got the Cru-Wear Delica in the mail today. Both are fine examples of this Knife. Keep'um coming.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:38 pm
I love the Delica 4. This is the knife that made me permanently switch over to Spyderco. I would buy that knife right now but I don’t want to pay nearly the cost of the knife itself in shipping. I don’t know why BBS charges so much for shipping when every other place only charges $21 to ship to me, with tracking and insurance.

What country are you in??
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:25 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Bento charges $69 for all international shipping. That is beyond excessive.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:56 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:25 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Bento charges $69 for all international shipping. That is beyond excessive.

Doc, that´s why I never ordered from US stores (I live in Austria, Europe).

But I found a solution: There are companies who offer a postbox in the US for free. You can have your knife shipped there, and they forward it to any country you want / you live in, for a very reasonable, in fact rather cheap price (in my case it is 10 USD from the US to Austria, as far as I can remember)

Worked well for me several times. The company I use is myus.com, but there are several, and I guess all are ok.

Sure you might have to pay tarriffs, but that is also true if a knife shop ships directly to you.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)