KnifeCenter CPM-CRUWEAR Native 5 with smooth black G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: KnifeCenter CPM-CRUWEAR Native 5 with smooth black G10

Post by TkoK83Spy »

attila wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:28 pm
$150 is an awfully steep price for a Native, especially compared to the $130 for the bigger Manix 2. Sure, they say the backlock is more difficult (i.e. expensive) to make, but a backlock is NOT worth more to me.

I still like it and hope it sells out quickly before I give in to temptation. It really is a bummer, so I think I'll stick with my smooth green S90V Native.
My thoughts exactly on the pricing, I feel like we both felt that way about the BHQ/DLC version as well...which I think you succumbed to temptation if I remember correctly? :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:53 pm

Hey steelcity16, looks like your prediction that 2019 is the Year of Cru-wear is coming true. :D

And yet the Delica is the only one I bought because I hate smooth G10! My real hope is that some dealer starts a DLC Cruwear family with some new color of Peel Ply G10. I'd be in for every single one of those! We also need Cruwear in all of the LW models. Native LW, Manix LW are long overdue. The Delica was the surprise of the year for me! I hope they do all of the popular Seki models.
Last edited by steelcity16 on Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Dang, I hope they still have stock when I have money :P
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
attila

Post by attila »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:42 pm
attila wrote:
$150 is an awfully steep price for a Native, especially compared to the $130 for the bigger Manix 2. Sure, they say the backlock is more difficult (i.e. expensive) to make, but a backlock is NOT worth more to me.

I still like it and hope it sells out quickly before I give in to temptation. It really is a bummer, so I think I'll stick with my smooth green S90V Native.
My thoughts exactly on the pricing, I feel like we both felt that way about the BCH/DLC version as well...which I think you succumbed to temptation if I remember correctly? :p
Do you mean the BladeHQ/DLC Native? I didn't not submit to that temptation but wish I had. Photos of that one are extremely attractive!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:26 pm
Enactive wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:15 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:14 pm
Just like gravy on a biscuit, I AM ALL OVER THIS ONE! Woo Hoo!!!!!
I just ordered mine... was thinking to send you a message to make sure you get one and then saw this. Total surprise. Awesome impulse purchase.

Friday stoke! Cheers.
Thanks for looking out for me.

Man, it has been a speedy month or two. :eek: I guess it is time to thin the herd a little. :(
Yeah, man. Sure thing. I know how much you love that Cru Wear.

This will be my first CW knife. What's your preferred sharpening and honing protocol for it?

I'm glad I didn't go for the CW delica, tho I considered it. I'm still waiting for that Crucarta Shaman, patient like, with $ allocated. :cool: :D

The Chief is awesome. Have you gotten one yet? If we ever get Salts and sprints/ exclusives I'll be pleased.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

attila wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:48 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:42 pm
attila wrote:

My thoughts exactly on the pricing, I feel like we both felt that way about the BCH/DLC version as well...which I think you succumbed to temptation if I remember correctly? :p
Do you mean the BladeHQ/DLC Native? I didn't not submit to that temptation but wish I had. Photos of that one are extremely attractive!
Haha, yea that's what I meant. I fat fingered the keyboard. Ohhh, ok. For someone I thought you did. I also agree, very nice looking knife but just couldn't swallow that $165 at the time.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm holding out for a Micarta Cruwear Native! When they see how quickly the Shaman sells out I would think a Native, Manix, Manix XL, and Chief wouldn't be far behind.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I think this one begged for liners a bit more than some linerless models. Tough steel, stout blade. It could have been amongst the toughest Spyderco's ever. But that's just me. Looks like a great piece. But I can't justify owning this one AND the Chief. One of these days I'll snag a G10 Native. Never held one.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:34 pm
I think this one begged for liners a bit more than some linerless models. Tough steel, stout blade. It could have been amongst the toughest Spyderco's ever. But that's just me. Looks like a great piece. But I can't justify owning this one AND the Chief. One of these days I'll snag a G10 Native. Never held one.
As much as I like linerless, I had a similar thought and also thought of you and FErider in that regard.

Just got my shipping notice. :cool:
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Pelagic wrote:

I 100% agree here! This one with liners and Ply Ply G10 like the current S110V Native would have been instabuy. It would have been an absolute mini TANK!! Smooth G10 is instapass.

I would LOVE to see a dealer do a DLC Cruwear Native with liners and a non-black G10. Blurple would actually be AWESOME and it should be easy to do since that format is already in production for the S110V.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Pass for me, too. I bought the Delica, and am really psyched about that. I love the Native, and am excited to try Cruwear, but smooth black g10...booorrrring! And I can't justify spending another $50 on different scales for a knife that already costs $150.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Pelagic wrote:
Yeah I thought this one would've benefited from steel liners too.
Not a deal breaker for me, and besides I can't afford one anyway. Nice knife, though.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
fixall

Post by fixall »

I was all set to pick up the Cruwear Delica, but I was a little hesitant because I prefer a wharncliffe with the Delica frame. Then I saw this and couldn't resist! I sure wish it had steel liners though. :(

Even without the steel liners, I'm thinking a set of burlap canvas Micarta scales will like nice on this.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

It is. Raining. Knives. Holy smokes.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
fixall

Post by fixall »

Any chance someone here knows if the blade (and backlock) from a linerless G10 Native 5 can be swapped into a G10 Native 5 WITH liners?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

fixall wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:27 pm
Any chance someone here knows if the blade (and backlock) from a linerless G10 Native 5 can be swapped into a G10 Native 5 WITH liners?
Yes, they are swappable. I have moved around my G10 and lightweight FRN Native 5 blades into different frames like it was a 70's swingers party, the only issue I've ever had is with the blurple G10 S110V N5 which was a tiny bit off dimensions-wise from previous variants but enough to prevent a proper swap.

To answer SG88's question, I will likely swap this Cruwear blade and lockbar into an older SS linered frame with those custom orange Steve Ketchen scales I've had for some time now. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
fixall

Post by fixall »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:33 pm
fixall wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:27 pm
Yes, they are swappable. I have moved around my G10 and lightweight FRN Native 5 blades into different frames like it was a 70's swingers party, the only issue I've ever had is with the blurple G10 S110V N5 which was a tiny bit off dimensions-wise from previous variants but enough to prevent a proper swap.

To answer SG88's question, I will likely swap this Cruwear blade and lockbar into an older SS linered frame with those custom orange Steve Ketchen scales I've had for some time now. :)

Thank you, that's what I was hoping to hear. :D Now to source a Native 5 with liners, lol
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

This is awesome, maybe more people will spend their money on this and stay away from my St Nicks Lil Native!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Dear KnifeCenter,

I will forgive you for tainting all of these beautiful Cruwear knives by using smooth G10 IF, and only if, you comission the Manix LW, Native LW, and Para 3 LW in DLC coated Cruwear with White FRN. :D

Warm regards,
steelcity16
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Hooray!! :)

Finally, after all these years of begging... One enroute Down Under!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi