KnifeCenter CPM-CRUWEAR Native 5 with smooth black G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: KnifeCenter CPM-CRUWEAR Native 5 with smooth black G10

Post by steelcity16 »

^ This is close to what I envisioned as the perfect Native, only my vision has OD Green Micarta scales over the liners. I agree that Cruwear pairs better with the linered version, and Micarta would be the icing on the cake.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
selrahc

Post by selrahc »

Very nice!
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I couldn't resist this one any longer. Ordered all black pocket clip/screws/frame and pivot screws to go with it. Going to be sick, hopefully. I'll post a pic after assembly if I can
BLM

Post by BLM »

Baron Mind wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:36 pm
I couldn't resist this one any longer. Ordered all black pocket clip/screws/frame and pivot screws to go with it. Going to be sick, hopefully. I'll post a pic after assembly if I can
Nice :cool:
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

BLM wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:48 pm
Baron Mind wrote:

Originally I wanted to bronze everything but was struggling to find all the hardware. Blacked out was the next best thing, and should suit the knife well :) :) :)
fixall

Post by fixall »

Baron Mind wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:49 pm
BLM wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:48 pm
Baron Mind wrote:

Originally I wanted to bronze everything but was struggling to find all the hardware. Blacked out was the next best thing, and should suit the knife well :) :) :)
That's going to look great! The Native 5 was also just about the easiest knife I've ever worked on too. Seems like fantastic platform for all kinds of custom scales and hardware. :)
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

fixall,
Well done on the scales.
Now the african blackwood surely has more contrast in person? Hard to see in photo.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

Would you be able to swap this blade into LW scales, or no? Like the idea of a Cruwear blade, but I don’t need something that heavy in my pocket all day.
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
BLM

Post by BLM »

I got mine today looks good next to the smooth green KC exclusive
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Brackish wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:11 am
Would you be able to swap this blade into LW scales, or no? Like the idea of a Cruwear blade, but I don’t need something that heavy in my pocket all day.
Darby did a swap into LW scales. Will only save you a half ounce.
rbb2

Post by rbb2 »

fixall wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:43 am
My idea of the perfect Native 5 is just about complete. :D

Cruwear blade, steel liners, and african blackwood scales. Now I just have to decide on a clip. Right now I'm thinking of getting one of those gorgeous creations by Josh of Razor Edge Knives.

Wow, that is great work! Very impressive.
sok

Post by sok »

Great job fixall!
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Got mine in the mail yesterday, and as expected, this is a fantastic expression of the native 5 platform, and very well executed. The linerless g10 and full metal backspacer provides a very nice balance and feel in hand, stout but not overly heavy. When combined with the knowledge of the steel's attributes, it is a wonderfully confidence inspiring cutting tool.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

In addition, the fit and finish is top notch, backspacer is nice and flush, no cosmetic defects anywhere, the blade finish is flawless.

The swedge grind is a little asymmetrical, not a huge deal, unless it's an indicator that the primary grind is uneven, but that is not the case as far as I can tell.

The edge bevels aren't perfect, but aren't too bad. Heel area is better than a few other Spyderco's I've gotten recently, so that's a plus. Factory sharpness isn't super important to me, but also not bad on this knife. A quick 10 minute touch up/strop and I am happy enough to carry it with this edge for a little while.

Behind the edge I measured at 22 thousandths of an inch on average. Considering the edge angle appears to be at a true 15 degrees per side, that's not too terrible. I'd prefer it thinner, but I've already made a couple of cuts through cardboard with the knife, and it is good to go. I may still have someone put a regrind on it. I've been kicking around the idea of getting something reground for a while now, and Cruwear is an ideal steel to take really thin bte. It's pretty hard, pretty tough, with good edge stability. The native 5 is a great work knife in my mind too. I was going to get my brouwer reground, but that much raw cutting ability isn't necessary on a more general purpose edc knife, which is the role I see the Brouwer in.

Lastly, the action on this knife is incredible. Spydercos Golden backlocks truly are a marvel. Super smooth, making it a lot of fun to open and close.

Now I'm just waiting for the rest of my aftermarket hardware to come in.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Just got mine this week, very well pleased.
The weight is just right, don't like back heavy knives.(Caly series)
I think I will like this Cruwear steel, well so far.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

Enactive wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:38 pm
Brackish wrote:
More interested in being able to swap it into scales I can dye. Not a big fan of the black.
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Brackish wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:12 pm
Enactive wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:38 pm
Brackish wrote:
More interested in being able to swap it into scales I can dye. Not a big fan of the black.
Cool. You're all set then.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Pretty sure it was still available when reveal 4 came out. Looks like it finally sold out. Think Ill go use mine working in the shed.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
mqqn

Post by mqqn »

Wow - received one of these beauties from a good friend today as a gift - what a great smaller knife!

Absolutely shaving sharp, a pleasure to hold, and perfect centering, in fact everything is perfect in terms of finish and build quality.

Another great knife that I'll carry proudly.

I am anticipating this will be another excellent slicer as well.

Thanks Paul!

best

mqqn