KnifeCenter CPM-CRUWEAR Native 5 with smooth black G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: KnifeCenter CPM-CRUWEAR Native 5 with smooth black G10

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like the smooth G10. It is the color black that I could have done without. Either way, I bought this knife and really like it! I liked the smooth green Native also but didn’t need another Native in S90V. I did “need” a Native in Cruwear.

I guess it shows how fickle we are? A Cruwear Native moves slow and a CF/S90V Shaman moves slow but a Cruwear/Micarta Shaman almost caused a riot.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I got one of these as well. I like the native 5 design alot for a regular edc knife. I wanted to try out cruwear. I also assumed I would not be able to get the shaman sprint, and it certainly looks like that is still the case.
I dont mind smooth g10 in boring black. While there is a difference in traction, the majority of grip comes from design and ergonomics.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Monty

Post by Monty »

I prefer the smooth g10 especially for iwb carry, still thinking about swapping in a lc200n serrated blade but the cruwear in yellow frn would be a little silly.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I've had a few Natives but this one is special. The smoothest one I've ever owned and the sharpest from factory. Just cut up some cardboard for the recycling bin and it zipped right through. Smooth scales didn't allow my hand to slip because of the choil and jimping. Even thinking about keeping the stock clip 😬 don't feel like going deep-carry on this one
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm trying to figure out if I completely missed this or if I saw it and decided to pass for some reason. I love the Native, love Cruwear, don't mind smooth G10, and I don't mind black except I already have several knives with it including a G10 & LW Native. Maybe I skipped because I was already in for the Cruwear Delica? Hmmm
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:19 pm
I'm trying to figure out if I completely missed this or if I saw it and decided to pass for some reason. I love the Native, love Cruwear, don't mind smooth G10, and I don't mind black except I already have several knives with it including a G10 & LW Native. Maybe I skipped because I was already in for the Cruwear Delica? Hmmm
They are still in stock. I'm very happy with mine.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:19 pm
Well these have been out for a few months now so maybe you can wait a few more weeks to buy this one. :p
Spydergirl88
rbb2

Post by rbb2 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:49 pm
I've had a few Natives but this one is special. The smoothest one I've ever owned and the sharpest from factory. Just cut up some cardboard for the recycling bin and it zipped right through. Smooth scales didn't allow my hand to slip because of the choil and jimping. Even thinking about keeping the stock clip 😬 don't feel like going deep-carry on this one
Same here, mine is what I would have thought was impossibly smooth for a back lock. It just ... glides.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Enactive wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:31 pm
They are still in stock. I'm very happy with mine.
Yes, saw that. Thank you
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:56 pm
Well these have been out for a few months now so maybe you can wait a few more weeks to buy this one. :p
I've been thinking about it since I posted earlier. Pretty sure I remember thinking that this might be a good one to finally try a linerless G-10 Native. I think I decided against it because of the black handle, I have 4 other models with Cruwear, and I really like my black/S35VN Native with liners. It's smooth as can be and the peel-ply on the G10 isn't very aggressive. So really I'd just be buying the knife for a steel that I already have. Think I'm going to save my pennies and wait for a better (for me) Native.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve thought about this one some. I don’t hate the smooth g10, but I wouldn’t choose it on purpose. I like backlocks just fine, and Spyderco’s is very good. It might be a fantastic package, but I’ve never held/felt of the Native. And I have the cruwear KC para3.... :confused:
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

The smooth G10 is horrible and has kept me from buying this. I bought A PM2 cruwear with this smooth G10 tried to give it a chance but the darn thing was too prone to slipping out of my hand and hitting the tile floor.

I purchased regular G10 scales swapped them out and could not be happier with the knife.

A question. How difficult is it to put regular G10 Scales on this native? Is it even possible since it lacks liners?
attila

Post by attila »

The smooth green G10 S90V Native feels great in use and doesn't shred my pockets. Its smooth (dimpled and NOT polished) green G10 is what makes it so excellent that despite not liking backlocks, I really like this knife.

I also had the smooth G10 PM2, and just like Doeswhateveraspidercan, I found it to be too slippery.

The thing is that they were different textures. Depending on the actual texture of this Cruwear Native's G10, it may be good or bad (in my opinion).

I don't prefer smooth G10, but if, like the green Native, it retains some of the peel ply G10 texture in the form of dimples on a matte-smooth surface, it's actually really nice.

Also, some people really like the polished G10s that others hate. Therefore, it is wrong to make blanket statements like "[all] smooth G10 is horrible" as it is a disservice to those who may otherwise be willing to try and might actually like it.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
SG89

Post by SG89 »

This thread needs more pics Image
Spydergirl88
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:47 am

The smooth G10 is horrible and has kept me from buying this. I bought A PM2 cruwear with this smooth G10 tried to give it a chance but the darn thing was too prone to slipping out of my hand and hitting the tile floor.

I purchased regular G10 scales swapped them out and could not be happier with the knife.

A question. How difficult is it to put regular G10 Scales on this native? Is it even possible since it lacks liners?

I'm with you. I actually dropped my Cru-carta Shaman on the tile floor a few times before I decided to coat it with drumstick wax, which makes a massive difference. The more grip the better. I'm hoping to see some Terotuf scaled Shamans soon now that Micarta has proven to be a hit.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
fixall

Post by fixall »

I'm working on something special for mine. Should be done in the next couple of days. :)

Here's a preview!

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

This is just another batch of Native5 CRU-WEAR Smooth Black G10 KnifeCenter (USA) which first came out in August 2019.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
BLM

Post by BLM »

You all suck I may have to order this to go with my green smooth one
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

"Get yours today before they're all gone."
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Just joined the ranks of the cruwear crew, you know, before they run out. :D It's ordered!
I look forward to cruwear, my first.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
fixall

Post by fixall »

My idea of the perfect Native 5 is just about complete. :D

Cruwear blade, steel liners, and african blackwood scales. Now I just have to decide on a clip. Right now I'm thinking of getting one of those gorgeous creations by Josh of Razor Edge Knives.