KnifeCenter CPM-CRUWEAR Native 5 with smooth black G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enactive

Re: KnifeCenter CPM-CRUWEAR Native 5 with smooth black G10

Post by Enactive »

Very nice, Filoso! :cool:

Yesterday i took mine to the Sharpmaker-- brown rods, flats only. WOW! What an amazing sharpening response. This is my first Cruwear knife and the steel and the model made it an immediate impulse buy when it was announced. I was loving the smooth G10 when it arrived, but now that i experience the total package-- Just Wow! :cool:

I will say that mine came from the factory with a 'scrape-shaving' sharp edge-- not nearly as sharp as most or all of my other Spydies arrived and certainly not as sharp as my Shaman and Chief.

With the refined, yet aggressive edge that is so easy to achieve on the Cruwear, NOW I JUST WANT ALL THE KNIVES IN CRUWEAR! Okay, well at least i do really want that Shaman and a Chief. :D :cool:

A year ago i just wanted polished edges all the time, because i use zero scandi grind wood carving knives as much or more than my folders. I have completely changed my tune for kitchen and EDC edges in the past several months.

It's nice to still be learning, and refining useful skills. The forum has really been a tremendous resource for this learning. Thanks, All!

Edited to add: LC200N remains a favorite too. Oddly, i would have never lumped it together with Cruwear because of the differences in chemistry and corrosion resistance. My early experience with Cruwear (and time will tell, right) is that it shares these traits with LC200N
1. Great sharpening response in ease of sharpening to a crisp but toothy medium grit edge (brown SM rod)
2. Great toughness. I have rarely heard anyone but Larrin and Lance point out this attribute of LC.

I am guessing i will see a significant difference in edge stability with the CW (in part since it is probs at least 2 points harder than the LC)
Last edited by Enactive on Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Filoso- wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:00 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:57 am

Beautiful! Where did you get the scales?
The scales were made by Suingab

Did you reprofile it ? How thick is behind the edge ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Monty

Post by Monty »

Filoso- wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:51 am
Finally received mine. I like the smooth scales, but this is the Native I have been dreaming for a long time :)
This is exactly the knife I just posted on my wishlist from Golden! I could see this combo converting some family member to Spyderco who now carry wood or bone scale lockbacks.
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:20 pm
Filoso- wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

Did you reprofile it ? How thick is behind the edge ?
Nope, factory edge. I’m sorry but I don’t have a caliper to measure it, maybe someone else could chime in?
Last edited by Filoso- on Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Filoso- wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

Love them. I actually like the smooth g10 on this knife, but I'd always rather have some color.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Eihther KC had an absolute ton of these made, or lots of folks are allergic to smooth G10, because they're still in stock!

How long did the BHQ N5 exclusives last, 20 minutes, an hour?

Honestly, this amazes me, I figured they'd sell through in a day or two.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

awa54 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:19 pm
Eihther KC had an absolute ton of these made, or lots of folks are allergic to smooth G10, because they're still in stock!

No kidding!

Yeah, I keep checking stock and they still have a metric sh!t ton of these. I am trying not to buy a second! But they are still in stock.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Enactive wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:22 pm
awa54 wrote:

No kidding!

Yeah, I keep checking stock and they still have a metric sh!t ton of these. I am trying not to buy a second! But they are still in stock.

Gotta be the smooth G10 and black scales. Peel Ply G10 in a non-black color would be gone by now. I passed on this but would have bought any color of Peel Ply G10...even black. I would have actually preferred a Cruwear Native LW most of all though.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:49 pm
Enactive wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:22 pm
awa54 wrote:

No kidding!

Gotta be the smooth G10 and black scales. Peel Ply G10 in a non-black color would be gone by now. I passed on this but would have bought any color of Peel Ply G10...even black. I would have actually preferred a Cruwear Native LW most of all though.
It's really not that hard to switch out handles is it?

Wouldn't mind owning this one but I've already spent enough on knives the past month or two. Can't buy em all I guess. :rolleyes:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
PStone

Post by PStone »

Their forest green s90v with smooth scales was available for a long time too. They even dropped the price eventually. I had one. I don’t like making negative posts, buuut...sold it and my other exclusives from them when I swore off KC for good. Too many bad experiences. I am actually kind of happy to see them slowly trickle away instead of an instant sellout. Karma
attila

Post by attila »

I've really enjoyed my smooth green KC exclusive Native. I'm actually carrying it today because it's such a great knife. I really appreciate that it doesn't tear up my pockets. S90V is a good steel, too, so there's not much to not like about it. I only wish it were a CBBL instead of a backlock.

The color, price, and, more importantly, the backlock are what keep me from buying this Cruwear Native.

The smooth black Cruwear Manix is really awesome too, despite the color.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I like mine a lot. It’s a tough little bulldog.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

I think the reason of the slow sales could be the black color more than the smooth scales...
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

20190822_170845-1440x1920.jpg
Yeah I been surprised by KC sales of this. I snagged 1 and absolutely dig it! Wasn't sure I would but I definitely do. Just can't keep it out of my pocket. Backlock is a win for me, Cruewear kicksass, and the smooth g10 is sweet. I did put a different clip on it and it made all the difference. It's MXG Ti clip. I'll stick a pic in here.
rbb2

Post by rbb2 »

I haven't done much with mine other than fiddle with it. So far, I'm loving the smooth G10, and the action on this knife is super smooth, particularly for a back lock. I'm really excited to play around with the steel, as this is the first Cruwear knife I've had (my only other carbon steel knives are some Moras and a clad Blue #2 gyuto).

restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

I love the S90v smooth green g10 exclusive. Thinking about getting one and swapping the green scales over...
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

rbb2 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:29 pm
I haven't done much with mine other than fiddle with it. So far, I'm loving the smooth G10, and the action on this knife is super smooth, particularly for a back lock. I'm really excited to play around with the steel, as this is the first Cruwear knife I've had (my only other carbon steel knives are some Moras and a clad Blue #2 gyuto).

I bought one of these, and yet I still like seeing everyone else's pictures of them. I normally think black scales are kinda boring, but on the native with that cruwear shine the smooth black g10 just looks so classy.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Finally ordered one of these. 😎
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

My Native Cru!
IMAG3666sm.jpg
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The bummer of it is that the slow sales of this Native dissuades other dealers from doing Native exclusives, when the reality of it is that it is the smooth black scales that are killing sales and not the model itself. The BHQ Natives sold out same day. If St Nick's does a 4V Native, you will see it sell out in minutes.

The difference between the Para 3 and PM2 and models like the Native, Military, Manix, etc is that the former have a built in collector base who collect EVERY version of those models, where you don't really see that in the other models, so the onus is on the dealer to make sure models like the Native, Military, etc check all of the boxes and don't stray from the proven steels and scales. Smooth G10 has proven to be a dud. Black G10 is also a dud on exclusives. Peel Ply G10 in an earth tone on this Cruwear Native and they would have been long gone!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red