St. Nicks Knives Exclusive hint - Lil Native?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

Re: St. Nicks Knives Exclusive hint - Lil Native?

Post by cycleguy »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:33 am
the most i’ve paid for a pocket knife is around $150 and even that’s a stupid amount of money for a pocket knife in my opinion. there are some that i want that cost more than that, but i’ll likely never own them. i can’t imagine ever paying so much for such a small knife.
Interesting how everyone has their limits on what they are willing to spend.

For myself - around $150 on folders but have gone just over $200 for something that was just it. And yes I agree $150 is a stupid amount of dinero for a folder. For fix blades - around $225 but have gone just over $250 for something that was just it. And yes $225 is a stupid amount of dinero for a fixed blade. I won't purchase china knives so it costs me a bit more.

Now for the really crazy is I am considering a Randall knife and that is kicking me up to $600 for a fixed blade... ouch!!!

I suspect the lil native will be back and hopefully you all get in on it at its retail price. Doesn't make much sense to not do knives that sell and make money if you are in the business to sell knives and make money.... yes, I know, so confusing!!!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I too have a slightly irrational balk at $200 for a knife. I’ve only ever bought 3 over that threshold; a ZT that is since sold; a Dozier personal that I absolutely love, and a Bark River Bravo 1 that I’m still not so sure I’ll keep. I feel like I need a sandpaper glove and make the thing fit my hand.

Now when it comes to longbows, I’m good with $2k. Go figure.
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I suspect the lil native will be back and hopefully you all get in on it at its retail price. Doesn't make much sense to not do knives that sell and make money if you are in the business to sell knives and make money.... yes, I know, so confusing!!!

CG
[/quote]

In another year's time, I wonder if it would sell so well. This was the first non-regular production lil native, so everyone who's been holding out for a more interesting option (like myself) was really excited about it. But presumably other exclusives and sprints will roll out in the next year to steal this one's thunder. It's gotta be a tough calculus for the dealers.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:12 pm

CG
In another year's time, I wonder if it would sell so well. This was the first non-regular production lil native, so everyone who's been holding out for a more interesting option (like myself) was really excited about it. But presumably other exclusives and sprints will roll out in the next year to steal this one's thunder. It's gotta be a tough calculus for the dealers.
[/quote]

Yes... very difficult to foresee the flavor of the month a year from now when it comes to steels, and ultimately only so many buyers to go around if Lil Natives become a dime a dozen in the supply chain. But, I'm thinking it has something more to do with a solid design and consumer following. I don't see the Lil Native as a fly by night offering dependent on color or metal (although those do help if done right).

CG
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:52 am
I too have a slightly irrational ball at $200 for a knife. I’ve only ever bought 3 over that threshold; a ZT that is since sold; a Dozier personal that I absolutely love, and a Bark River Bravo 1 that I’m still not so sure I’ll keep. I feel like I need a sandpaper glove and make the thing fit my hand.

Now when it comes to longbows, I’m good with $2k. Go figure.
Woodpuppy,

Great to hear about everyone's weaknesses. Have to love longbows and recurves ... artistry, craft, tradition and history ... WOW!!! We have a small local shop that serves these guys well ... https://rmsgear.com/. Unfortunately for me multiple bike/car accidents have left me with upper back/shoulder blade issues that forces me to go compound to hold but still shooting tab & fingers. Most consider me a freak of some sorts!

I sold my Bark River Bravo 1 A2/Black Linen. I do prefer the LT models for my uses. A bit more slender blade. I keep a standard model with ramp in Cru-Wear and a hunter model (without ramp and with drop point) in 3V. I'm happy to have both, but don't see myself getting any more of them. Have you tried the Gunny? It is a scaled down Bravo 1.

Not sure how this translates to ST Nick's Lil Native 4V DLC... but hey is all good with me.

CG
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I wouldn't count on another run of the 4V Lil Native. Part of the reason it was in such high demand in my opinion is FOMO because it was such a small run, and the fact it was the first Lil Native exclusive. If they commissioned a rerun today it would be 8-12 months before it is likely released, and by that time there may have be a Cutlery Shoppe XHP exclusive, a BHQ Jade M4 exclusive, etc. Then it is not nearly as desirable and that may take months to sell. Rerunning a PM2 or Para 3 is apples to oranges vs any other model due to the sheer # of crazy gotta have em all collectors and the massive popularity of those two models in general. I dont really agree with rerunning a model ever. It takes away from more variety since they could be doing a 4V Native or Dodo or BBS could be doing a Blue M390 Native or Manix or Military instead of their 4th run of a PM2.

BHQ does it best in my opinion with one and done runs of sufficient quantity in both DLC and Satin as they run through pretty much all of the popular Golden models and a few foreign models. I love that they do then all in DLC since I am a huge DLC fan. They sell just as fast if not faster than the Satin. The fact that they don't rerun even the popular models means we get to see exclusives of models like the Dodo that get ignored by most other dealers in favor of the 132nd PM2 exclusive.

St Nicks is heading down the BHQ path in my opinion by taking chances on new steels (4V) and new models (commissioned Lil Native and possibly a Shaman shortly after release). I hope they keep it up and run the whole lineup through the Red DLC 4V combo, including a serrated Dodo and some Red FRCP/FRN LW exclusives. Looking forward to the next one, Shaman or whatever it may be. I'll be first in line pounding F5 on my computer!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
jdw

Post by jdw »

My bet is that the next run is something safe like a PM2 but I can definitely see the trajectory that you mention. They have locked up gold with the exclusive rights to that steel/color combination.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Congratulations to everyone that got one. I missed it while camping in upstate NY with no signal.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:14 pm
I wouldn't count on another run of the 4V Lil Native. Part of the reason it was in such high demand in my opinion is FOMO because it was such a small run, and the fact it was the first Lil Native exclusive. If they commissioned a rerun today it would be 8-12 months before it is likely released, and by that time there may have be a Cutlery Shoppe XHP exclusive, a BHQ Jade M4 exclusive, etc. Then it is not nearly as desirable and that may take months to sell. Rerunning a PM2 or Para 3 is apples to oranges vs any other model due to the sheer # of crazy gotta have em all collectors and the massive popularity of those two models in general. I dont really agree with rerunning a model ever. It takes away from more variety since they could be doing a 4V Native or Dodo or BBS could be doing a Blue M390 Native or Manix or Military instead of their 4th run of a PM2.

BHQ does it best in my opinion with one and done runs of sufficient quantity in both DLC and Satin as they run through pretty much all of the popular Golden models and a few foreign models. I love that they do then all in DLC since I am a huge DLC fan. They sell just as fast if not faster than the Satin. The fact that they don't rerun even the popular models means we get to see exclusives of models like the Dodo that get ignored by most other dealers in favor of the 132nd PM2 exclusive.

St Nicks is heading down the BHQ path in my opinion by taking chances on new steels (4V) and new models (commissioned Lil Native and possibly a Shaman shortly after release). I hope they keep it up and run the whole lineup through the Red DLC 4V combo, including a serrated Dodo and some Red FRCP/FRN LW exclusives. Looking forward to the next one, Shaman or whatever it may be. I'll be first in line pounding F5 on my computer!

I was about to present an argument about why I think they ought to and probably will do another run of this one (for example the S35VN brown PM2 was run 3 times over a period of 5 years, with the price increasing just enough for inflation (given that it was a distributor exclusive). But hey, you brought up a 4V Red Dodo :eek: I've got my 4V Lil Native, so I'm gonna start worrying about when they'll request a 4V DLC red G10 Dodo :p
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

steelcity16 wrote:
I wouldn't count on another run of the 4V Lil Native. ..... Red DLC 4V combo, including a serrated Dodo .....
Yea the impression I got in speaking to them was one and done on the exclusives.

SE 4V Dodo in red n black? That sounds pretty cool.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:57 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
I wouldn't count on another run of the 4V Lil Native. ..... Red DLC 4V combo, including a serrated Dodo .....
Yea the impression I got in speaking to them was one and done on the exclusives.

SE 4V Dodo in red n black? That sounds pretty cool.
i hope not, because i’ll have to spend the stupid amount of money for a dodo. i don’t have one and would like to.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Monty

Post by Monty »

Pretty sure the next one is a Shaman based on their instagram comments. They also said they're not doing a re-run.

koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I was emailing with them here was our last exchange

"PM2 is coming, just can’t give any time details yet. the run will be larger than this one too. Thanks for the support! we’re very happy people are digging on this particular configuration of 4v and red/black. had we known this last year, we would have did a larger run on these lil natives. And the model we lined up which should be dropping next month. probably gonna be a blood bath over that one."
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

It's perfect & I love it.

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

koenigsegg wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:05 pm

"PM2 is coming, just can’t give any time details yet. the run will be larger than this one too. Thanks for the support! we’re very happy people are digging on this particular configuration of 4v and red/black. had we known this last year, we would have did a larger run on these lil natives. And the model we lined up which should be dropping next month. probably gonna be a blood bath over that one."

Another PM2...well, that sucks. I am bored with all of these PM2s, but you can't blame them for wanting to print money! :D I just hope there is more interesting stuff to come after the PM2 and rumored Shaman. A Manix LW in Translucent Dark Red FRCP would be amazing. A serrated edge Dodo would be insane. A Manix XL is long overdue. A G10 Native with liners would be awesome. A Native LW as well. A new Military is a must. And maybe even some Dark Red FRN Seki models like a Dragonfly and Delica with 4V or V4E if either of those are able to be used in Seki.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Monty

Post by Monty »

It's here!

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Just grabbed mine from the mailbox! This is my first example with Red G10, I like it a lot!

-Nick :bug-red
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:47 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:05 pm

Another PM2...well, that sucks. I am bored with all of these PM2s, but you can't blame them for wanting to print money! :D I just hope there is more interesting stuff to come after the PM2 and rumored Shaman. A Manix LW in Translucent Dark Red FRCP would be amazing. A serrated edge Dodo would be insane. A Manix XL is long overdue. A G10 Native with liners would be awesome. A Native LW as well. A new Military is a must. And maybe even some Dark Red FRN Seki models like a Dragonfly and Delica with 4V or V4E if either of those are able to be used in Seki.
Hey St. Nicks, if you're on here, take heed: a 4V Shaman would be an insta-buy for me
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bagsnatcher wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:06 pm
Hey St. Nicks, if you're on here, take heed: a 4V Shaman would be an insta-buy for me
Well start saving your pennies because my guess is you're going to get your wish. :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:48 pm
Just grabbed mine from the mailbox! This is my first example with Red G10, I like it a lot!

Looks good! Mine should be waiting in my mailbox. I'll add it to all my other red ones
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!