Gauntlet Sharpener

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Robert Ptacek

Gauntlet Sharpener

Post by Robert Ptacek »

The new Gauntlet sharpener has the diamond rods and fine.Isn't the transition from diamonds to the fine a big jump? Any experience out there?
PeaceInOurTime

Re: Gauntlet Sharpener

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I'm certainly not at the sharpening level as the majority of people here and I don't bother with the high polished bevels, but I haven't had any issues moving directly from a coarse DMT stone to an ultra fine Spyderco stone.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Some people think the diamond to medium is a big jump, but I'm able to go from diamond all the way to ultra fine and get a really good looking bevel. I'm sure it will be fine, I may even see what doing diamond to fine will do one of these days. The last couple knives I've stopped at medium for the bevel, but go to uf in the microbevel and it seems to work pretty well. Get that glassy smooth first cutting, and then the slight tooth of the bevel comes in and does some good work.

I don't know if I like it as much as the main bevel taken to uf, but it may just be me liking that shiny polish... Lol
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Big jumps aren't a bad thing. It depends on what you're going for. If on a good day I'm whittling hair with s110v off 325 grit, I'll skip straight to 0.1 micron (~200,000 grit). If the burr is detectable, I'll do 1 or 3 micron first depending on how bad I think the burr is. I do this because with s110v I'm looking for large yet refined teeth along the edge. If you're looking for a polished edge, you might not want to make big jumps unless you have high quality abrasives that cut fast and load slowly.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I'm not the best sharpener out there, but the way I understand what a big jump gets you a "polished, toothy" edge. I don't know if that is an adjective widely used the knife community.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

p_atrick wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:14 pm
I'm not the best sharpener out there, but the way I understand what a big jump gets you a "polished, toothy" edge. I don't know if that is an adjective widely used the knife community.
For the most part, yes. Depends on if you completely eliminate the previous scratch pattern (given you're sharpening at the same angle as your previous stone). Finer grits produce smaller teeth at the apex, so it all depends on what size teeth you want.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

The key (for me) to going from diamonds/cbn to fine ceramic is a series of light strokes on the diamond/cbn. Don’t hold the base of the sharpmaker, and use light strokes such that you don’t move the sharpener. If it moves you’re using too much pressure.
Robert Ptacek

Post by Robert Ptacek »

Thanks guys for all the feedback.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Has anyone heard any word on the release for this one? Last I heard is there was a packaging issue but I believe that was a while ago. Any updates?

Rich
Think for yourself