Reveal, lack of anticipation, general thoughts.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: Reveal, lack of anticipation, general thoughts.

Post by Mushroom »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:19 pm
I'm pretty new to actual intentional collecting...can someone explain MAP to me? From what I've pieced together, Spyderco sets an MSRP, and then dealers can only sell a knife at a certain percentage below that MSRP, is that about it? So basically, it eliminates bargain hunting? I guess that pricing rule changes if something goes on clearance or gets discontinued?
M.A.P stands for Minimum Advertised Price. It's the lowest price a certain product is allowed to be advertised for. Whether online, in print, or in store. It is implemented and set by the manufacturer to help small retailers like brick and mortar stores compete with online retailers like amazon.

Before M.A.P was in place, it seemed every online retailer you went to had different prices and bargain hunting was a real possibility. Now prices are pretty much the same everywhere you look. I'm not sure how prices are determined for discontinued models, but they're usually well below M.A.P.
-Nick :bug-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

JuPaul wrote:
I'm pretty new to actual intentional collecting...can someone explain MAP to me? From what I've pieced together, Spyderco sets an MSRP, and then dealers can only sell a knife at a certain percentage below that MSRP, is that about it? So basically, it eliminates bargain hunting? I guess that pricing rule changes if something goes on clearance or gets discontinued?
Minimum advertised price. So a seller can sell below MAP just not advertise it. Example: add to cart to see final price or using a coupon code
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:46 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Minimum advertised price. So a seller can sell below MAP just not advertise it. Example: add to cart to see final price or using a coupon code
Aha! So that explains how some dealers can still offer bargains. Thanks for the explanations, folks.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Cool stories and thoughts by everyone. I don't have a very strong opinion of the reveal program, but I'm certainly less excited/hyped up now. I used to get downright giddy in anticipation knowing something new could be revealed any minute. Now I'm just not looking as forward to new releases. I honestly can't explain it. Even when I know a reveal is coming I'm only halfway excited. It is what it is, spyderco is still an absolutely outstanding knife company.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The Reveal program didn't change anything for me. That said, my feverish excitement over new knives has waned. I've actually reduced my Spyderco collection to 10 including 2 that remain in unused condition. A few years ago I had 30 or so. It feels great to lighten the load and I don't think I'll go back to my old ways of buying up most new releases to check them out if not keep them.
Partly it's the expenditure. I just don't want to drop much cash on luxury items anymore. And partly it's a desire to actually carry, use and enjoy what I have.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I feel like the reveal program should work both ways.

Sure, folks don’t want to wait forever for a knife that won’t come to fruition. There were talks many years ago about a fluted Ti Para2 with an integral compression lock and that never happened. Oh well.

What I dislike more than the long waits is being surprised by a release when I don’t have funds. This Cruwear Delica is about to happen on short notice. I am able to buy this one if I get the chance but I like to have more time to prepare. In the past I missed knives because of it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the reveal program because it does let me know when things are going to drop and hills me the budget as I said earlier. I always have to set a little bit of money aside ahead of time. As last time they were more than I wanted and than not So I was not able to get all of them so far. But thankfully the ones I didn’t get are all regular production. However with something like the cruwear Delica I would’ve liked to of had a little bit more advanced notice on something as special as this. So I think that the program needs to be tweaked it just a little bit at least for me when it comes to something special extra special I should say. But then Hiw is Spyderco to know what is going to be extra special to me? But the cruwear Delica is definitely something that would be special to a lot of people.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This issue with the cruwear Delica and the M3 90 Delica is exactly my point. Neither one of these would probably be in the reveal and that’s a good thing. They are both exclusive to either a retailer or to a distributor. However I would have liked to have had some heads up that they were coming so that I could budget for these if I should want one or both . So perhaps this was not a Spyderco problem but rather something that should’ve been handled by the people that were actually going to sell or release the product.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

When I started the models I was buying were in the $50-$130 dollar range. These days they're in the $170-300 dollar range. Some of that is price increases some of that is my tastes in knives has gotten a little richer. I feel like I buy less knives than I used to, but the ones I get are exceptional. The LW models remain a great value as well.

As for the reveal program... I liked it better the other way. Some people's unrealistic time frames on knife production and constant whining ruined a good thing. I myself have asked 'is it here yet!?' about several knives in my time here. But it was out of good natured enthusiasm and anticipation, not an angry 'why isn't this ready yet?'. There's a difference.

I may have liked the old way better, and everyone likes lower prices. But at the end of the day Spyderco still puts out more knives that I want, than I can afford. So I'm in no danger of running out of things I like. And the quality of knives like the CF Shaman is just amazing. There's also still plenty of 'I wish they made a...' designs that have yet to be, so plenty to look forward to.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

A week ago I didn’t know that a Cruwear Native or a Cruwear Delica existed. When I get home from work today I will be the proud owner of both. It sure would have been nice to have a heads up that these were coming. I probably wouldn’t have bought a 52100 Manix last week. Don’t get me wrong, I am super grateful for these two cruwear exclusives. :)

I guess we have gone from one extreme to the other? I liked the old way better but in the end I guess the squeaky wheel gets the grease and the whiners win.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yes unfortunately the whiners always win. But at least spyderco keeps rolling out the awesome exclusives
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Monty

Post by Monty »

It would be nice to see the reveal program altered a little bit, one large reveal at the beginning of the the year outlining everything with quarterly updates indicating what's slated for the next 3-4 months as per the current program.

Just to use an example, I'm most interested in a Shaman or Kapara release in an upgraded steel. If one comes out in the next reveal that fits most of my requirements I'll buy it. If another one comes out in the following reveal that is far superior and/or better matches my requirements I'm going to have to sell the first one used, take a hit and buy the new one. That would be avoidable if I knew the second knife was just over the horizon.

Not to say spyderco is going to do this intentionally, but companies certainly have. Anyone familiar with Glock's release of the 42 then 43 should be familiar 😉
sal

Post by sal »

I don't think the Swick 5 was in a Reveal. I kinda cheated by talking about it here. But selfishly wanted the input, and the opportunity to explain my reasoning.

sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:24 am
A week ago I didn’t know that a Cruwear Native or a Cruwear Delica existed. When I get home from work today I will be the proud owner of both. It sure would have been nice to have a heads up that these were coming. I probably wouldn’t have bought a 52100 Manix last week. Don’t get me wrong, I am super grateful for these two cruwear exclusives. :)

I guess we have gone from one extreme to the other? I liked the old way better but in the end I guess the squeaky wheel gets the grease and the whiners win.
Yea, I too would like a little more of a heads up for some of these. I've missed a few that I would have bought if I had a little more lead time. But as I said in my other post, they still make more that I want than I can afford. I may have prioritized a little differently though.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

sal wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:58 pm
I don't think the Swick 5 was in a Reveal. I kinda cheated by talking about it here. But selfishly wanted the input, and the opportunity to explain my reasoning.

sal
Sal, we definitely appreciate getting to have these discussions with you, so I don't think that's a bad thing at all.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The problem with the Reveal, as I see it, is that if there’s nothing published that appeals, then there is literally nothing to keep your interest.

I don’t mind waiting for something, maybe even enjoy the anticipation, but it’s very hard waiting for maybe nothing.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Still enjoy Spyderco And their abundance of knives in so many steals

Used to chase sprints but I am done.

Wouldn’t care if it was pink with yellow polka dots with M4 enveloped with H1

If you can’t buy it at lunchtime Tuesday at Blade HQ or Knifecenter I’m not interested anymore.

Finished on the Jade PM2 in M4 so went out with a bang :cool:

As for reveal..... I myself would like more information on what’s going. Recently grabbed a junction as I heard it’s discontinued
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i was annoyed by the wait for knives that were talked about in the past (specifically the native salt) that seemed to take forever to be released, but i liked that system a lot better than the current reveal program. i don't have the money to be buying a ton of knives and i buy them to keep them and use them and not to sell them off, so it would be nice to have more notice so i can save for something i want.

for example, i'm almost certain i'll eventually buy a caribbean, but it would be nice to know if it will ever be offered with a coated blade and different scales. i'm sure i'll pull the trigger on one someday and the next reveal will have what i've been waiting for. i'm not down with that.

i've also mentioned in other posts that i'd rather see more production knives than exclusives and sprints. i hate the secondary market and the fact that people buy them up to flip them. i also hate that they just run out and may never be seen again. i get that there are also benefits of sprints and exclusives, but i don't like the way it works out in reality. fortunately for me, they are almost all in steels i don't care about, so it's not something that i'm really missing out on. not everyone wants a folder in a tool steel. although it seems most here are more than happy to have them.

it all boils down to the fact that i like the production runs more and would like to see more variations in production than flippers building themselves a pile of money on the secondary market because they live in their parents' basement and have nothing better to do than buy knives and sell them on ebay. and i'd like to know what to expect so i can plan how i can best use my hard-earned money.

all of that said, i do appreciate this forum and the transparency it offers. the community and quality of the knives have made me a big fan.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Re: Reveal, lack of anticipation, general thoug

Post by apollo »

Hi liquidcobra.

I can relate to youre thoughts.
Starting with an endura 3 (that was a whole lot of knife for only 50euro's at the time you could call the endura a beginner knife back Then :) now that fame at a wopping 130 euro or more has gone the way of the dodo :eek: ) finding old spydies , getting some superb designs and ending on the summit of the nirvana before falling in to the what i call the spyderco abyss.

Since then i did try to return to my older habbits of collecting but everytime it failed.
Always giving me a feeling to quit and stay away from buying knives and from this forum because it made me really unhappy in a way just not to feel the "rush" anymore.

Now slowly jumpstarted myself with buying a raven 2. Then followed by a green tenacious and a meadowlark 2.
And i can say slowly i can find my place here again. Now for the first time i can say i look out for the release of a knife since the nirvana. And that is for the emphasis. (A billion dollar difference i know)
So guess i got back to my roots. Being happy with the original style of Basic spydies the excellent designs that are not made to break the bank of a collector but made to enjoy in the pocket.
I also still have my interessed in the manix programs because i still have 14 of those puppys.
And now i am slowly modding them yesterday i ordered 2 flytanium lock cages a blue and a green one.

So i guess liquid everything always will come back if enough time gets by. ;)