AUS-6 Stainless vs AUS-8 and others?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

AUS-6 Stainless vs AUS-8 and others?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Nearly all of us on this forum is aware of the Japanese AUS-8 series of stainless steel alloys as used on assorted knives (did Spyderco ever use that, at some point?) made by various companies. It appears to be a very capable blade steel. I have read some old articles and posts by people about AUS-6 stainless, and I would like to know what you all think of it as compared to the other AUS steel and also other alloys.

I read that it is a bit softer but for self defense knives and outdoor knives sometimes one wants a softer steel as opposed to a harder steel, such as Cru-Wear or M4, because it is less prone to chipping and brittleness.
The Mastiff

Re: AUS-6 Stainless vs AUS-8 and others?

Post by The Mastiff »

Nearly all of us on this forum is aware of the Japanese AUS-8 series of stainless steel alloys as used on assorted knives (did Spyderco ever use that, at some point?)
Spyderco used both steels. AUS 6 was used in the steel handle Endura for sure and maybe others for a while.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Yes, I have a Stainless Delica CE from ca. 2004 and it has an AUS-6 blade. Certainly not a bad steel from a practical standpoint, and it does sharpen quite easily, but if I'm correct it's among the "cheapest" steels Spyderco has ever used on one of their models. I gotta say, it's held up pretty well though!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Yes, I have a Stainless Delica CE from ca. 2004 and it has an AUS-6 blade. Certainly not a bad steel from a practical standpoint, and it does sharpen quite easily, but if I'm correct it's among the "cheapest" steels Spyderco has ever used on one of their models. I gotta say, it's held up pretty well though!
It's a pretty tough steel with good corrosion resistance that is easy to care for. That likely more than cost was the reason it was used on the steel models. They were favorites with law enforcement and military who looked for those attributes. I'd bet there were cheaper steels available if that was what was wanted.

Joe
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

What of I told you...

Spyderco still uses AUS6...

... in the trainer models! :p
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

AUS10 = VG10, more or less. So that gives you an idea about how AUS8 and AUS6 are.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

From what I understand AUS6 is a 440A class steel, AUS8 a 440B class, and AUS10 is in the same class as 440C (nit equivalent exactly).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:47 am
From what I understand AUS6 is a 440A class steel, AUS8 a 440B class, and AUS10 is in the same class as 440C (nit equivalent exactly).
That's also my understanding. I like AUS8 but found the AUS6 in my first Spydie, an FRN Ladybug, a complete disappointment. Fortunately, it did not discourage me from buying more Spydies in better steels.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

My limited experience with AUS-6 has been pretty dismal IMO. But on the other hand I've had very desirable results with AUS-8>> particularly with serrated/Spyderedges. It also sports a slightly above average in plain edge but doesn't hold it near as long as many of these supersteels. But it's far from being sub-standard. I still use my AUS-8 full SE CAtcherman almost 2 to 3 times on a weekly basis.

But from Spyderco's standpoint it would be like going backwards with all the newer blade steels out there IMO. But I would never turn down a full Spyderedged unit in AUS-8. It's one of those unique steels that holds a Spyderedge/ serrated edge real nicely IMO.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

My only experience with AUS6 is Global kitchen knives, where it really doesn't hold an edge long, but re-sharpens extremely easily.

I retired my Globals to cheese and citrus duty in favor of laminate VG-10 Tojiros.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
FK

Post by FK »

The Tojiro DP series with laminated VG-10 is the best value today.
I have a set that is about 20 years old now.
Great heat treatment and hold a edge very nicely for low cost kitchen knives.

Regards,
FK