Why no John Deere?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Why no John Deere?

Post by Doc Dan »

Spyderco is a great American life company. I wonder why John Deere has not partnered with Spyderco to have a knife with their branding on it? They have partnered with others such as case and etc. I would think that the Native 5 light weight would be the perfect pairing especially the salt version. Then we would have a John Deere green and John Deere yellow.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JuPaul

Re: Why no John Deere?

Post by JuPaul »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:58 pm
Spyderco is a great American life company. I wonder why John Deere has not partnered with Spyderco to have a knife with their branding on it? They have partnered with others such as case and etc. I would think that the Native 5 light weight would be the perfect pairing especially the salt version. Then we would have a John Deere green and John Deere yellow.
I'm pretty sure our John Deere tractor is older than I am, and it's still going strong, so it'd make sense for them to pick a durable work horse model that's been around a while. ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:09 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

I'm pretty sure our John Deere tractor is older than I am, and it's still going strong, so it'd make sense for them to pick a durable work horse model that's been around a while. ;)

Green FRN Deere-licas, Endeere-las, and Deere-gonflies with Yellow PVD coated LC200N blades :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Because they're partnered with Case. Probably more likely to sell Sodbusters and Trappers at the Tractor Supply or hardware store for $30-$60 than more expensive USA made Spydercos that don't look like something from 50 years ago.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

If you want to make a farm work knife with a Deere branding, I'd say it should be at least partially serrated, maybe fully serrated. If you ever have to deal with baler twine wrapped around some shafts, you probably won't be happy with a plain edge. And you're bound to get the edge against some metal parts at times, so I'd choose an alloy that's more likely to roll than chip.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:21 pm
If you want to make a farm work knife with a Deere branding, I'd say it should be at least partially serrated, maybe fully serrated. If you ever have to deal with baler twine wrapped around some shafts, you probably won't be happy with a plain edge. And you're bound to get the edge against some metal parts at times, so I'd choose an alloy that's more likely to roll than chip.
Totally agree. I started carrying a pocket knife daily when I worked on a horse ranch in my 20s, and at least partially serrated was a must (for baling twine, exactly). And I was pretty happy at the time with a softer "budget" steel that wouldn't chip or break every time I knocked it or dropped it.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

:D
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:15 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:09 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

Green FRN Deere-licas, Endeere-las, and Deere-gonflies with Yellow PVD coated LC200N blades :D
:D
- Julia

murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I would definitely by a John Deere Spyderco. Nothing runs like a Deere, and nothing cuts like a Spyderco!
Josh
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

How about some Alfa Romeo spydies. Would be down for some Rosso Corsa
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:29 pm
How about some Alfa Romeo spydies. Would be down for some Rosso Corsa
Now you're really speaking my language! A Spyderco Montreal, please! My dad had one just like this. ;-)

Last edited by JuPaul on Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Julia

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I am free that bailing wire and wine will wreck havoc on a knife. Maybe H1 will be a better choice of steel and also rated or partially separated. Growing up we had a small ranch and I can testify to how brutal some of these things can be on knives. To this day I do not trust liner locks or frame locks because of my experiences.

A John Deere knufe that reflects the rugged dependability of John Deere and the ruggged dependability of Spyderco is a win-win.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Gotta be honest, all those Case knives that have brand logos on them kinda turn my stomach. They did a few Johnny Cash knives I kinda liked but I would never buy a knife with a JD logo on it, or Ford, or Remington etc. Just not my thing I guess. I don't even want too many Spyderco logos.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Deere is very covetous of their identity and their logo.
I would assume they're not easy to deal with.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:04 am
Gotta be honest, all those Case knives that have brand logos on them kinda turn my stomach. They did a few Johnny Cash knives I kinda liked but I would never buy a knife with a JD logo on it, or Ford, or Remington etc. Just not my thing I guess. I don't even want too many Spyderco logos.
I agree. I want to carry a tool, not a billboard. I almost bought a Case a while back. It was a lovely knife. The Ford branding on it just really turned me off of it though.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

There are John Deere watches, but no John Deere Rolexes.
The advertising specialty field is a crowded and seductive one.
But prestige brands have to be careful not to whore themselves out.
Maybe the Byrd line would be a candidate for custom imprinting.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah that’s possible. But I really like Spyderco and I would rather them go that way, even a Japanese model is ok. All American is preferred, though.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050