Compendium of tips for sharpening serrated knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Compendium of tips for sharpening serrated knives

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've got to this point of my first reprofile of an SE knife. Looks like I've got more of the chunky scallops to grind away to hit the inside of the small serrations. The tips are still slightly snaggy, but not nearly what they were. I'm guessing just keep at it, and I'll eventually get into those scallops and round those tips a bit more?

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:19 am
I've got to this point of my first reprofile of an SE knife. Looks like I've got more of the chunky scallops to grind away to hit the inside of the small serrations. The tips are still slightly snaggy, but not nearly what they were. I'm guessing just keep at it, and I'll eventually get into those scallops and round those tips a bit more?

My DF stayed pointier than most of my other SE blades too but I don't find it to be snaggy. It's probably snagging because the small scallops aren't apexed yet. Try working the small scallops individually and see if that gets rid of the snag. You can round the tips more if you want by pulling the blade across the rod instead of focusing on vertical strokes but I'd wait and see how it feels after you get the small scallops apexed first.

-Turbo
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thanks bud! I knew I could do them individually, but wasn't sure if that would effect my scratch pattern, angle, etc. Also appreciate the info on pulling, vs vertical strokes. I use a 50/50 pulling/vertical strokes approach in most cases if using Sharpmaker. (I don't typically use a Sharpmaker) so that's good to know! I've always loved yours, Vivi's and David's SE results. So thank you much for the feedback.

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Just about there now! Tips are more rounded, and scallops ground down a little thinner, but I may go a little further there. Has definitely been more time consuming than I thought, but I've enjoyed the different sharpening experience!

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 1:56 pm
Just about there now! Tips are more rounded, and scallops ground down a little thinner, but I may go a little further there. Has definitely been more time consuming than I thought, but I've enjoyed the different sharpening experience!

I think you'll love it once you get it fine tuned. This is one of my favorite SE knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David