Compendium of tips for sharpening serrated knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bbturbodad

Re: Compendium of tips for sharpening serrated knives

Post by bbturbodad »

Yep. I went very light (I think too light) on this guy and it must have been bouncing more than I realized. I ended up just hitting the tight serrations individually and it cleaned right up. Next time I'll try some alternating strokes during the sharpening and I think that will work for me.

You've definitely given me a new appreciation for the versatility of serrated blades. Sharpened properly I'm blown away at how well they slice. :D
-Turbo
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bbturbodad wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:47 pm
You've definitely given me a new appreciation for the versatility of serrated blades. Sharpened properly I'm blown away at how well they slice. :D
+1
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

bbturbodad wrote:
Sharpened properly I'm blown away at how well they slice. :D

That is the key, right there. When I discovered that, and how to sharpen them, it changed the game. Sometimes I'll carry a serrated knife with a backup serrated knife. Certainly wouldn't have happened a couple of years ago. :eek: :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Hobnob wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:49 am
That's interesting on the 2 different color Pac Salts. I have one of each color and the grind is the same (15). However, on all 3 of my Salt 2's the angle is 20. The scallops are wider and deeper on the Pac Salts. Hope this helps those that own both using the SM.
I only have one of each (1 Pac and 1 Salt 2) but I corroborate the above statement.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:52 am
bbturbodad wrote:
Sharpened properly I'm blown away at how well they slice. :D

That is the key, right there. When I discovered that, and how to sharpen them, it changed the game. Sometimes I'll carry a serrated knife with a backup serrated knife. Certainly wouldn't have happened a couple of years ago. :eek: :cool:
I have a Pac Salt SE and Ladybug hawkbill on me right now. :cool:
-Turbo
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

bbturbodad wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:25 pm

Well, you’re just crazy, bro. :p Okay, now I don’t feel so weird.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I'm going to blame my neighbor for the Ladybug, she said the black Pac Salt looks scary and since she lets me use her recycle bin for my excess I thought the Ladybug was a nice contrast to the 'murdery' Pac Salt. :D
-Turbo
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:42 pm
bbturbodad wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:25 pm

Well, you’re just crazy, bro. :p Okay, now I don’t feel so weird.
What about a SE tasman paired with a ladybug hawkbill ;)
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm gonna shoot a new SE sharpening video soon. If there's something in particular you want included let me know.
:unicorn
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:24 pm
I'm gonna shoot a new SE sharpening video soon. If there's something in particular you want included let me know.
First of all, where does one find your videos?

What I think would be good to show but not necessarily fit in a sharpening video would be how to best cut with a serrated knife. I find that I angle the knife differently to get the best performance out of it. A sharp PE will pushcut and slightly slice well where as a feel a SE benefits from slightly more of a slicing angle. Something to get the material riding over the tips a bit easier to prevent the god awful snagging that can occur.

Oh yes I almost forgot, maybe go over how to round over the tips in a safe way if you have a knife with deep scallops?
/ David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sonorum wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:26 am
Vivi wrote:
First of all, where does one find your videos?

Have a look at Vivis signature and/or the original post of this thread... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:

- I´d include emphasizing the importance of having clean(ed) rods for fast and good results (and that the corners of the rods clog up faster than the flats do when sharpening PE blades on those)

- Wear that cool T-Shirt again ;)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:05 pm
What about a SE tasman paired with a ladybug hawkbill ;)

You’re in the club. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
vivi

Post by vivi »

What about a SE Tasman paired with a SE Pacific Salt? :D

I'm gonna try to shoot a new SE sharpening video this weekend.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:41 am
What about a SE Tasman paired with a SE Pacific Salt? :D

That’ll do it. :cool: I have a SE Pacific and a serrated Victorinox Spartan today.

Looking forward to the vid.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:27 am
I have a SE Pacific and a serrated Victorinox Spartan today.
I've gotta say - after being converted to SE by the crew here, I've been enjoying getting all sorts of serrated blades and sharpening them up to play with.

I really like the Victorinox Soldier serrations out towards the tip of the blade. They cut very smoothly too when freshly sharpened.

It was interesting using the Soldier yesterday to cut the bottom out of some old black plastic plant pots that I used to place around some basil seedlings for wind and pest protection, and to concentrate heat.

A couple of times the serrations slipped out of the cut, and I could see where the tight Spyderco spikes would probably have worked better on hard plastic. I'll use the SE Pac Salt or Dragonfly Salt next time for comparison.

But the uniformly sized Victorinox serrations work quite nicely on soft materials.
Last edited by Cambertree on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:33 am
I really like the Victorinox Soldier serrations out towards the tip of the blade.

Funny, I really want to try a large, one hand Victorinox, but I want plain edge. Combo edge is not for me, and on the front serrations - even worse. I do like my fully serrated Spartan, though, and it has the small plain edge blade to boot.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:28 pm
Funny, I really want to try a large, one hand Victorinox, but I want plain edge. Combo edge is not for me, and on the front serrations - even worse. I do like my fully serrated Spartan, though, and it has the small plain edge blade to boot.
Yeah, in theory that edge configuration didn’t really interest me, but my brother brought me back a Soldier from a trip to Switzerland.

It actually works really well to squeeze more performance out of the softish Victorinox 1.4110 bladesteel. The PE section has a very acute chisel grind on it, so it bites very deep before the serrations go to work when engaging in draw cuts.

I do find that if I ever carry it as a main EDC that I sometimes want a fine PE tipped blade, so a small, light blade like a Manbug, Dragonfly or Delica works well to pair with it.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:28 pm
Cambertree wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:33 am
I really like the Victorinox Soldier serrations out towards the tip of the blade.

I just got one of those in the mail today. Lot of utility in a compact, ultralight package. I paid about $15 for mine.

I noticed their serrations all run parallel just like Spyderco serrations:

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I love the Spartan. It’s what I had back in the 80’s. This one should be easy to sharpen - well, they all are. ;) - even though they put the serrations backwards.
- best wishes, Jazz.