Do you prefer Plain edge, Serrated edge, or both?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which would you rather have in your pocket day to day?

Plain edge
58%
Serrated edge
9%
Combo edge
12%
Both plain & serrated
21%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 76

vivi

Do you prefer Plain edge, Serrated edge, or both?

Post by vivi »

Which edge type do you prefer to EDC?

Up until a few years ago I would have answered plain edge, but these days I find myself preferring serrated edge.

I don't think the performance of each edge type is different enough to warrant carrying two knives, so I choose to carry one serrated pocket knife most days.

What do you like having in your pockets on a typical day?
:unicorn
Pelagic

Re: Do you prefer Plain edge, Serrated edge, or both?

Post by Pelagic »

Gotta have both, but don't like combo edges. If it wasn't for work I'd carry PE 90% of the time though. As it is, I nearly always carry one of each.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I prefer a plain edge generally but I think a serrated hawksbill is something to be reckoned with in certain applications. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Tims

Post by Tims »

For edc duties, definitely plain edge. I prefer the predictable way a plain edge behaves when cutting.
For an emergency knife I’d take serrated. I don’t need that type of raw cutting aggression everyday though.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Plain edge 9\10
Although carrying a wharncliffe delica in SE lately ( because it’s new :D )

Always have a serrated on the boat. 10 meter tides where I live and I have had to cut a rope a few times over the years. Nothing does that job better than a serrated blade.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I like and carry both. I dislike combo edges, though.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
kells45

Post by kells45 »

I usually have two enduras. One plain edge and the other full serrated. Been running the CS hap40 exclusive and pacific salt SE lately. Perfect combo for my uses.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I voted for serrated. I find there are more things where serrated performs better than plainedge, in my everyday tasks, than the obverse. Which is not to say I won't switch knives if I know I'm going to be doing something where plainedge works better.

Not a fan of combo edges, although I do own a few. Of them, the USN Catcherman is the only one where I feel the blade is long enough for the combo edge to be effective.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There are more performance advantages to SE than there are disadvantages so I go with SE. The majority of issues people seem to have are either related to sharpness or just repeated because they heard someone else have the same problems. If you keep them sharp they make a more effective cutting tool.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Spyderedge for me.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

After finally figuring out how to properly get a serrated knife very sharp (as it should be, not dull and "cutting forever", like some would have you think is okay), and learning not to saw through stuff, but mostly just pull it through with a little slicing motion, I can actually go out with a large and small serrated knife in my pockets. I always want one in my pocket for seatbelts, since I've seen how well a sharp SE works on a heavy nylon band. Cutting vegetation is great with a knife like the legendary SE Pacific Salt.

I do, however still prefer plain edge most of the time. Nothing goes through cardboard like my PE Delica wharncliffe. I don't want to have to live without that knife. I also like to whittle, and it's plain edge all the way.

I like and appreciate both.

I'd also like to thank Dave and Vivi for the sharpening tips and enjoyment of SE, and you can't mention SE without bringing up JD's name. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've been carrying both plain edge and serrated edge for some time now. I use a serrated edge for a companion blade and also use an SE blade for really rough cutting jobs. There are jobs where an SE blade is just much more efficient.

I probably use my plain edged blades for at least 60% of all cutting jobs. But where I do need a serrated edge it seems that nothing else comes close in performance.
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

Both but I mostly prefer plain edge for a lot of common tasks like food prep, boxes, or packaging. I really like serrated H1 for outdoor work like trimming back tree branches or cutting rope/banding.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I actually carry both. I rotate the PE (default is a Manix 2 Maxamet) but always carry a DF 2 Salt HB (used to be the Ladybug salt HB).

But if I could only have one I'd carry PE, because it's easier for me to touch up the edge and keep it extremely sharp.

I like the little/big and PE/SE pairing of it, but I started doing it because I have a very specific work task that the HB is perfect suited for. I've now found myself using the SE for cutting fibrous stuff, for it's needle like tip, and also as a "grabber" tool in some instances.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

FullFlatMind wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:33 am
Both but I mostly prefer plain edge for a lot of common tasks like food prep, boxes, or packaging. I really like serrated H1 for outdoor work like trimming back tree branches or cutting rope/banding.
I hope that Spyderco is reading a lot of these posts because more and more I'm hearing a lot of guys testify as to how good of tools that many of Spyderco's SE knives are for lawn & garden and landscaping chores.
Especially the SE Hawkbills have proven to be quite handy in the garden too.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:56 am
I prefer a plain edge generally but I think a serrated hawksbill is something to be reckoned with in certain applications. :)
I’m with Bloke.

However, I do have an SE Pacific, Atlantic, and Manbug Salt, as well as an SE VG10 Assist, in addition to my garden-fantastic SE SpyderHawk, Tasman, and Ladybug Hawkbill Salts.

Curiosity has drawn me to SE, but I still consider myself a babe in the woods regarding SE maintenance, hence my PE preference.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It depends on the knife and the length of the blade. I actually really like a 3 inch combo edge. 3 to 3 1/2 inch combo edge is my favorite and I know that I’m the odd man out on this. Other than that I would choose for most tasks a pe. An SE is a really good choice or some tasks and some blades styles so I would choose that style of blade depending upon the knife and the usage.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I dislike serrations and never carry them. I am a proficient sharpener so that is not the issue. To me a serrated knife is a specialized tool and I don’t do things that require them.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

For typical, daily carry I don't normally carry an SE. But, when doing yard work or camping I will have either or both of my full SE Endura and SE Salt 2.

This past weekend I was stacking and splitting firewood and clearing out some brush to put together a new log rack...I had my splitting maul, 10" Machete, SE Endura, SAK and Manix 2 LW on me...I'll tell ya what, I felt like I could have handled ANYTHING with that arsenal! My wife thought it was overkill...but I felt like quite a bad *** :cool:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:45 am
FullFlatMind wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:33 am
I hope that Spyderco is reading a lot of these posts because more and more I'm hearing a lot of guys testify as to how good of tools that many of Spyderco's SE knives are for lawn & garden and landscaping chores.
Especially the SE Hawkbills have proven to be quite handy in the garden too.
John Deere green FRN perhaps?