Do you prefer Plain edge, Serrated edge, or both?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which would you rather have in your pocket day to day?

Plain edge
58%
Serrated edge
9%
Combo edge
12%
Both plain & serrated
21%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 76

Mattysc42

Re: Do you prefer Plain edge, Serrated edge, or both?

Post by Mattysc42 »

Always PE for me, simply because I can’t sharpen serrations on my wicked edge.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I proclaim it without shame: I am a Combo-Edge lover.

Who was the first knife maker/company to introduce the Combo-edge? Was it Spyderco like I think?

In some situations I can see where a plain edge or full serrated edge would be optimal but I like the best of both.
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

I voted plain edge. I have some serrated but rarely pack them. I need good sharp plain edge more. When cropping calves ears or cutting on livestock in general serrations are not the way to go. Plain edge only! I need good straight cuts that are fast and precise. I'm sure that serrations have their place for cutting seat belts and what not, but not on a ranch.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

plain edge only for me also. its funny most of the people commenting like serrated but the poll shows most people like plain edge better as do i. serrated is good but a more specific target and i do not need serrations if my blade is sharp. plain edges has almost no disadvantage so it does has an advantage over serrated which does have disadvantages (cutting paper, no clean cuts, cutting cardboard).
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Voted plain edge, cause if I had to choose, it would still be that.

But that being said: Till quite recently I had (a few) serrations just on my combo edge, sabre grind Delica.

But now that I have my fully serrated, ffg Endela, I can truly test an SE blade for the first time. And I must say: I am surprised at how very well it works for almost any task, even whittling.

Sharpening is not a problem with the sharpmaker (I use the 30 degree setting and the brown rods, tried both the method Vivi shows (requires just one rod) and alternating 4 or 5 strokes on the scalloped side, then one on the other).

Only thing: The serrations seem to hold a very sharp edge not for a long time. Shorter than the short plain edge / chisel grind part towards the tip. Might be that I just use the serrated part more though.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

If anyone is reluctant to buy or use serrated knives because of difficulty in sharpening, there's a very easy way to sharpen serrated knives that are users/beaters (don't use this technique on a safe queen) if you don't own a sharpmaker.

Get a tapered diamond rod (I have a DMT coarse) and hold the knife at the factory edge angle. The factory bevel is quite large so this isn't hard. Use back and forth motions maintaining that angle, hitting every serration. You don't have to focus on what serrations you hit, precision isn't necessary aside from maintaining your angle. Just made sure you hit all of them. Use sweeping motions like you would on a sharpmaker as well, don't spend too much time on one serration. Go until you have some burr on the other side. Then either use your rod or a stone to hit the other side at a very shallow angle (aim for 2-3 dps, just high enough no to hit the spine). This will put the burr on the other side. Alternate sides until burr is gone.

I just started doing this instead of being a perfectionist on every serration individually and life is so much better. Just back and forth motions combined with sweeping motions on the rod, almost aimlessly. Takes very little focus and a lot less time. I'm just mentioning this because I know there's people who would love some SE blades but think about how much of a PITA sharpening would be (if they don't have a sharpmaker).
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:02 am

Get a tapered diamond rod (I have a DMT coarse) and hold the knife at the factory edge angle. The factory bevel is quite large so this isn't hard. Use back and forth motions maintaining that angle, hitting every serration. You don't have to focus on what serrations you hit, precision isn't necessary aside from maintaining your angle. Just made sure you hit all of them. Use sweeping motions like you would on a sharpmaker as well, don't spend too much time on one serration. Go until you have some burr on the other side. Then either use your rod or a stone to hit the other side at a very shallow angle (aim for 2-3 dps, just high enough no to hit the spine). This will put the burr on the other side. Alternate sides until burr is gone.
Pelagic is right -- I've used this method (with a DMT fine tapered rod) and it's both easy and effective when you don't have a Sharpmaker handy.
vivi

Post by vivi »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:29 pm
plain edge only for me also. its funny most of the people commenting like serrated but the poll shows most people like plain edge better as do i. serrated is good but a more specific target and i do not need serrations if my blade is sharp. plain edges has almost no disadvantage so it does has an advantage over serrated which does have disadvantages (cutting paper, no clean cuts, cutting cardboard).
If you can't cleanly cut cardboard or paper with a knife, that's because its dull :) PE or SE. My EDC push cuts circles in receipt paper.

I used my SE Pacific Salt last Christmas for cutting wrapping paper. That first large serration grabs on and doesn't let it slide around, for a very clean and precise cut every time.
Last edited by vivi on Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

Another easy method for touching up SE knives is to take a large sheet of sandpaper and fold it over the edge of a desk or anything with a corner. Then use edge trailing strokes, doing the entire blade in one pass.
:unicorn
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

PE for EDC and for 90% of my kitchen use.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Now I do use my EDC folder in PE the most. But if I was in a true survival or emergency situation I would not want to be without a serrated edge. Both edge types have their place for sure.

It's not "either-or" with me because I do have valid uses for both edge types. One of my favorite machetes is the Ontario model with a saw type serrated edge on it's spine. I'm kind of surprised that more machetes aren't made that way.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:17 pm
I proclaim it without shame: I am a Combo-Edge lover.

Who was the first knife maker/company to introduce the Combo-edge? Was it Spyderco like I think?

In some situations I can see where a plain edge or full serrated edge would be optimal but I like the best of both.
Hey I'm not at all opposed to combo edges. There was a job I had once where I worked with a lot of rope and cordage and the Endura CE model I had was really great for that type of job. But I don't believe a combo edge can take the place of a full SE edge.

Every edge selection has it's advantages and disadvantages.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:

Again, this is either something you have experienced due to a dull edge, or you're just repeating something you've heard from someone else. It just isn't the whole truth.

I made this video the other day for regarding a SE Caribbean I just got but it seems to apply to this thread more than the one I had planned. This is a factory edge on a new out of the box Caribbean.

https://youtu.be/o0ktSEJk4AY

I would argue that the disadvantage PE has is that it doesn't cut nearly as aggressively as SE, no matter who sharpens it. In many cases material will slip off of PE before cutting all the way through and it doesn't matter if the edge is sharp, polished or toothy.

About the only real world disadvantages I've come across in the 2 years I've been carrying SE exclusively is that it doesn't carve a stick as cleanly as PE, but they still make feather sticks quite well. Another is cutting fabric cleanly, I'll give ya this one SE definitely won't cut a shirt in half and leave a single clean cut, but seriously how often are you cutting up fabric??? On the flip side of that, if I'm in an emergency and I need to cut my jeans off or cut a seat belt and I really just want it cut ASAP and I don't are how cleanly the cut is made, SE has the advantage here. In my mind the advantage of knowing for sure that my knife is going to make the cut and not slide off what I'm cutting outweighs the jagged cut that it's going to make. I'm going for effectiveness, not style.

I think it's also worth noting that I have made a lot of these same comments about jagged cuts and snagging and difficulty sharpening in the past, if you search my comments enough from about 3 years ago I'm sure you'll find lots. This was all due to my inability to sharpen them (and honestly unwillingness), and poor experiences from using dull SE knives. There is a belief that SE stays sharp longer than PE, and on some level that is true, but for me (and I suspect most people) the experience also changes drastically as the edge dulls, and I believe a lot of people are having these negative experiences because of dull edges. At least that has been my experience, and learning how to sharpen them (which isn't rocket science just follow the Sharpmaker instructions) and seeing how they perform better has changed my life. I now have a box full of PE knives, many of them being sprints and exclusives, that I never use because they simply aren't as useful.

But of course, your mileage may vary. I'm a little passionate about this subject because of how it has changed my knife using life. Nobody can tell anyone that their tastes are wrong (unless you like Nickelback, then you're wrong).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:54 pm
I voted plain edge. I have some serrated but rarely pack them. I need good sharp plain edge more. When cropping calves ears or cutting on livestock in general serrations are not the way to go. Plain edge only! I need good straight cuts that are fast and precise. I'm sure that serrations have their place for cutting seat belts and what not, but not on a ranch.
We used to have a ranch. Of course it was not one of those big Wyoming spreads. We raised registered purebred black Angus. Of course we had bulls that we raised for breeding and heifers for the same reason that we marketed all over. It’s true that the serrated edge is often in the way instead of a help. But I did come to appreciate a good combo edge just about as much as a plain edge. Ranch work is hard work And a nice needs to be able to stand up to it. A lot of knives simply cannot take it. One of the things that we found out was that liner locks were not up to the ranch work at all in fact they were often dangerous. We only use backlocks for that reason. I’ve seen a lot of cut fingers and a lot of near misses. But when you’ve got a bull dragging you through the mud or a heifer that it has sat down on you in the pond and your tangled in the rope one hand opening is a must.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:51 am
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:

Again, this is either something you have experienced due to a dull edge, or you're just repeating something you've heard from someone else. It just isn't the whole truth.

I made this video the other day for regarding a SE Caribbean I just got but it seems to apply to this thread more than the one I had planned. This is a factory edge on a new out of the box Caribbean.

https://youtu.be/o0ktSEJk4AY

I would argue that the disadvantage PE has is that it doesn't cut nearly as aggressively as SE, no matter who sharpens it. In many cases material will slip off of PE before cutting all the way through and it doesn't matter if the edge is sharp, polished or toothy.

About the only real world disadvantages I've come across in the 2 years I've been carrying SE exclusively is that it doesn't carve a stick as cleanly as PE, but they still make feather sticks quite well. Another is cutting fabric cleanly, I'll give ya this one SE definitely won't cut a shirt in half and leave a single clean cut, but seriously how often are you cutting up fabric??? On the flip side of that, if I'm in an emergency and I need to cut my jeans off or cut a seat belt and I really just want it cut ASAP and I don't are how cleanly the cut is made, SE has the advantage here. In my mind the advantage of knowing for sure that my knife is going to make the cut and not slide off what I'm cutting outweighs the jagged cut that it's going to make. I'm going for effectiveness, not style.

I think it's also worth noting that I have made a lot of these same comments about jagged cuts and snagging and difficulty sharpening in the past, if you search my comments enough from about 3 years ago I'm sure you'll find lots. This was all due to my inability to sharpen them (and honestly unwillingness), and poor experiences from using dull SE knives. There is a belief that SE stays sharp longer than PE, and on some level that is true, but for me (and I suspect most people) the experience also changes drastically as the edge dulls, and I believe a lot of people are having these negative experiences because of dull edges. At least that has been my experience, and learning how to sharpen them (which isn't rocket science just follow the Sharpmaker instructions) and seeing how they perform better has changed my life. I now have a box full of PE knives, many of them being sprints and exclusives, that I never use because they simply aren't as useful.

But of course, your mileage may vary. I'm a little passionate about this subject because of how it has changed my knife using life. Nobody can tell anyone that their tastes are wrong (unless you like Nickelback, then you're wrong).
Gotta say, David, that you, Vivi, and Jazz—especially because of the experiences you guys have so descriptively shared—are an encouragement to me to keep at. Thanks for the effort. Every now and again, I succeed in seeing what you mean.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:56 am
marty_bill_ wrote:
We used to have a ranch. Of course it was not one of those big Wyoming spreads. We raised registered purebred black Angus. Of course we had bulls that we raised for breeding and heifers for the same reason that we marketed all over. It’s true that the serrated edge is often in the way instead of a help. But I did come to appreciate a good combo edge just about as much as a plain edge. Ranch work is hard work And a nice needs to be able to stand up to it. A lot of knives simply cannot take it. One of the things that we found out was that liner locks were not up to the ranch work at all in fact they were often dangerous. We only use backlocks for that reason. I’ve seen a lot of cut fingers and a lot of near misses. But when you’ve got a bull dragging you through the mud or a heifer that it has sat down on you in the pond and your tangled in the rope one hand opening is a must.
Well you are exactly right. I remember my first spyderco I got back in the early 90's and it was when I first saw a serrated blade. We had them for calf roping in case things went side sideways. And they were perfect for cutting ropes. We raise black Angus cattle now. And my calf roping days are behind me. As far as locks go you are right and I have totally moved to the backlock design. I've tried like you said liner locks, compression locks, and back locks for me are superior in every way. In the winter months we cut a lot of bail wrap to feed the cattle hay and a SE is not to bad in that role. But usually still use my PE knives. Especially Maxamet blades and other steels to rate performance. As it dulls knives extremely fast. Maxamet is a awesome steel. But I'd love to have it in a backlock design. We live in Northeast Wyoming up on the Montana line. Ranch life definitely puts knives to the test and I love my Spydercos.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I voted for both. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. I mainly use plain edge, but sometimes a serrated edge is most appropriate for the task. I carry a Leatherman Sidekick everyday along side my plain edge Endura and it has a very useful small full serrated edge that gets used every now and then.

If I had to choose between the two, I would vote plain edge.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:06 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:56 am
marty_bill_ wrote:
.......As far as locks go you are right and I have totally moved to the backlock design. I've tried like you said liner locks, compression locks, and back locks for me are superior in every way....

I apologize for going off topic. But referring to several and also repeated discussions in other threads I just have to point out: As I say frequently, people who really use their knives often in various, especially outdoorsy, cold, wet etc. conditions always seem to discover eventually that the backlock is just, as you say, superior in (almost) every way..

On topic again ;): It really seems to be a bit like it has been said already in this thread: People don't know how to sharpen serrations, but can sharpen plain edges. So the comparison is probably quite often DULL SE vs SHARP PE. No wonder that SE does not look good taking that into account..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

SE will cut things PE won't. I'm not saying SE will be better on rope and such, I'm saying if you wanna cut some plastic tube, hard hose etc. if you don't have a saw or a serrated edge you won't cut it with a plain edge.
It's utterly more satisfying to use my ultra sharp PE H1 Dragonfly than my SE Salt 2, the pleasure in cutting isn't comparable, but guess which one I EDC? The SE Salt 2 is a much more capable knife... it just does the job.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

PS blade = best of both worlds