Strange question: What level of expertise would it take to "extend the blade length" on a Spyderco knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

Re: Strange question: What level of expertise would it take to "extend the blade length" on a Spyderco knife?

Post by Tucson Tom »

What you need is a blacksmith. Heat the blade up and pound it on a vise until it is as long as you like.

Just trying to pull on cold steel and stretch it won't get you very far.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Strange question: What level of expertise would it take to "extend the blade length" on a Spyderco knife?

Post by Doc Dan »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:10 pm
If the enuff had a blade 1 inch longer I'd probably own 2 already.
Ditto
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:07 pm
What you need is a blacksmith. Heat the blade up and pound it on a vise until it is as long as you like.

Just trying to pull on cold steel and stretch it won't get you very far.

I thought about that also when reading the title of the thread.
But are you sure this would also work with really hard super steels? I guess, even if it would, the steel would not be as good as before the pounding.. but I am (very) far from being a steel expert.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:18 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:10 pm
... If the enuff had a blade 1 inch longer I'd probably own 2 already.

Even HALF an inch more blade would be "enuff" for me and I´d purchase one.
But as it is: Just too short.
Wartstein my friend, this is one of the very reasons I started this post. I want Spyderco to make an Enuff Salt with a blade in the 3.5 to 4 inch range.
anycal

Post by anycal »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:17 pm
... So is the only issue with your mod that the blade is too long for the handle? The pivot/tang/lockup fits and functions as it should?
Not really a mod. I had both the PM2 and the Para 3 apart, and wanted to try it. Yes, the blade is too long for handle. And the locking is not quite right. The lock bar travels too far. But pretty close.

Peter
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

anycal wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:48 pm
Not really a mod. I had both the PM2 and the Para 3 apart, and wanted to try it. Yes, the blade is too long for handle. And the locking is not quite right. The lock bar travels too far. But pretty close.

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:04 pm
Fly to the proper company and request that they somehow weld or forge and then grind and shape the extra metal to the existing blade G-10 to the existing scales
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

anycal wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:48 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:17 pm
... So is the only issue with your mod that the blade is too long for the handle? The pivot/tang/lockup fits and functions as it should?

Oh ok, I gotchu
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

anycal wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:10 am
PM2 blade on Para 3. Obviously it doesn’t fit the handle closed, but it would make for a cool little fixed blade in this configuration.

I think this is a great idea. I would do that and shave the blade down to 3 1/8" would be perfect and fit the handle much better.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Are the scales on that Para 3 OEM? Or if they're aftermarket, where did you get them? They look great. It looks like a cross between factory G10 and faded denim micarta. Very cool.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
anycal

Post by anycal »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:18 pm

Oh ok, I gotchu

In regards to locking. I suppose that if you take the PM2 lockbar liner and modify it, it should work.

Pelagic wrote: Are the scales on that Para 3 OEM? Or if they're aftermarket, where did you get them? They look great. It looks like a cross between factory G10 and faded denim micarta. Very cool.

Those are the original light gray that came on the Cruwear. They were dyed green, much like the forest green scales. Then I read about folks undying their scales with Rit Color Remover. Wanted to remove the green and try something else. Well, after using the whole box, and simmering for about two hours, this is what I got. Actually, I don' mind.
Peter
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:04 pm
Obviously if you want to shorten the blade or modify it by cutting away excess, unwanted metal, that can be done. But, what if you purchase a Spyderco knife (folder or fixed blade), and are not satisfied with the presently-available blade length, what options are available with present machining technology if you want someone to add more of the same type of steel to it, either to make the blade longer, or thicker, or something else?

Here is an example: Let's say a Spyderco customer goes ahead and purchases a Dragon Fly. He or she loves the design, loves the handle, but, wants a blade that is 3.5 or four or even, say, five inches long. Obviously, Spyderco will not do that at this time. Could they send that Dragon Fly to the proper company and request that they somehow weld or forge and then grind and shape the extra metal to the existing blade?

And if that can be done, would you trust the end product or would it possibly be weaker and not as strong as the originally-manufactured knife? And if it could be done, would you like that option?
They have this amazing thing out there. It's Called a custom knife maker.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Yes, but, are there custom-makers who would be able to add more blade material onto a factory-made knife if you sent it to them?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Yes, but, are there custom-makers who would be able to add more blade material onto a factory-made knife if you sent it to them?
Nope. They would think you were joking or ..... if you asked.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:15 pm
They would make you a fully custom blade out of a fresh piece of steel. The right way to do it.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Interesting idea. I'm pretty sure you can't forge or weld powered metal however so you'd have to choose a specific steel. Personally I don't see why you wouldn't have another blade made instead. Forging would be nice though because then you could also make it thinner which might be nice for some designs.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut