Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Re: Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Post by Pelagic »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:24 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:04 am

Sorry for the off topic responses, but I'll have something on topic in every post. I have a question about serrated H1. I often use my byrd in situations where edge damage is inevitable. The teeth can occasionally chip out in my byrd. I know H1 is far from chippy, but how does it handle damage (contact with steel during a draw cut/slice? Just a minor roll or bunting? Toughness is very high, but how is the strength/stability of the teeth/serrations?

I have found that serrated H-1 is great but not invincible. I've rolled the edge on my Pacific Salt quite badly a couple times, when cutting through very thick, hard plastic pallet banding. I can't say whether or not 8Cr13MoV would have done any better though; probably not.
If I had to guess, I'd bet that H-1 would be more resilient in your situation than 8Cr13MoV.

Here's an interesting thread on the subject:

viewtopic.php?t=81297
Thank you. Interesting stuff. I wonder if anyone has ever tested the HRC of a SE H1 blade near the serrations versus the spine, or if testing the serrations is even possible.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Mick

Post by Mick »

In freshwater I use a PM2 or Para 3, and just make sure I clean and lubricate them after every trip. Have had zero problems with rust or staining.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

When we kayak, I carry an LC200N Mule. I want something in a sheath that's instantly accessible and ready to use.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:44 am
The Meat man wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:24 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:04 am

Sorry for the off topic responses, but I'll have something on topic in every post. I have a question about serrated H1. I often use my byrd in situations where edge damage is inevitable. The teeth can occasionally chip out in my byrd. I know H1 is far from chippy, but how does it handle damage (contact with steel during a draw cut/slice? Just a minor roll or bunting? Toughness is very high, but how is the strength/stability of the teeth/serrations?

I have found that serrated H-1 is great but not invincible. I've rolled the edge on my Pacific Salt quite badly a couple times, when cutting through very thick, hard plastic pallet banding. I can't say whether or not 8Cr13MoV would have done any better though; probably not.
If I had to guess, I'd bet that H-1 would be more resilient in your situation than 8Cr13MoV.

Here's an interesting thread on the subject:

viewtopic.php?t=81297
Thank you. Interesting stuff. I wonder if anyone has ever tested the HRC of a SE H1 blade near the serrations versus the spine, or if testing the serrations is even possible.
Responding in BladeForums (post #16 in https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/h1- ... ost4484958), Sal said:

“When the foundry rolls the H1, they roll to two different hardness, we end up with 58 for the blade material and considerably lower spec for the lock material. Not meaning to be disrespectful, but the two hardnesses are controlled by the rolling process.

Dick Barber, metallurgist for Crucible steels was curious as to why the H1 steel was testing so well and wanted to do metallurgical testing on the material. We sent them samples and they did their tests. In their micro hardness testing, they found the H1 was differentially hardening. Their explanation was as I described.

The were getting over 60 (64/65 as I remembber the report) at the edge of the blade, 58 at the spine and various hardness in between as they went from the spine to the edge.

The serrted edge version was higher (68 as I remember) which Mr. Barber attributed to the extra "work" (heat) required to serrate the edge over just sharpening as on the plain edge.”

So, on serrated H1 blades 58 at the spine, 68 at the serration... Magic stuff, H1. I suspect serrated VG10 and LC200N don’t have this differential.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

anycal

Post by anycal »

91bravo wrote:Image

Was that you I saw earlier, lol

Peter
91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

anycal wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:12 pm
91bravo wrote:Image

Was that you I saw earlier, lol

Not unless you were on Terrapin Creek!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

WOW, thank you for showing me that wrdwrght.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
atv223

Post by atv223 »

I carry my SE pacific salt or my SE Dragonfly Salt (at least I did before I lost 2 of them!). I wish they still made the Caspian. I’ve been contemplating the salt enuff, just wondering how secure the sheath is?
C99c

Post by C99c »

I generally carry a combo edge Endura on the water, whether swimming or boating.
Support Knife Rights. https://kniferights.org/

Don't buy knives from EBAY or AMAZON. There are plenty of good companies that will appreciate your business and don't sell fakes.
Tims

Post by Tims »

I’m expecting the upcoming Swick 5 in LC200N to be my go to kayak blade.

-Light.
-Finger ring for secure grip over water.
-Rust resistant.
-Short wharncliffe for powerful controlled cuts
-Mount anywhere sheath with thumb pushoff for quick/easy deployment
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Native Salt is my main paddling knife.
IMAG3436.jpg
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Have you considered the Spyderco Snap-It Salt...?

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... Kraton/975

...It has a snap shackle that allows you to clip the closed knife to a D-ring, carabiner, belt loop, etc., to hang in a position where you can easily get to it. If the life vest you wear while kayaking or canoeing has a D-ring on it, the Snap-It Salt can be clipped to it.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
johnjake

Post by johnjake »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:09 pm
I never really did white water kayaking, just "sea"-kayaking on lakes.
Honestly, like in any other fresh- (as opposed to salt-) water scenarios, I never had rust problems on VG10 blades whatsoever. I like solo canoe. So I just carried an Endura 4 or my CE Delica. Now that I have an SE Endela, I guess that will become my kayaking knife.
I also kayaking in river not in clear water so what kind of spydie i need colorful water can you explain Endura 4 features and uses....? I read about it that this is really sharp how we use in no clear waterlike river....?
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Was pacific salt exclusively... will be either that or Tasman or dragonfly hawkbill now.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

johnjake wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:35 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:09 pm
I never really did white water kayaking, just "sea"-kayaking on lakes.
Honestly, like in any other fresh- (as opposed to salt-) water scenarios, I never had rust problems on VG10 blades whatsoever. I like solo canoe. So I just carried an Endura 4 or my CE Delica. Now that I have an SE Endela, I guess that will become my kayaking knife.
I also kayaking in river not in clear water so what kind of spydie i need colorful water can you explain Endura 4 features and uses....? I read about it that this is really sharp how we use in no clear waterlike river....?
Hi johnjake, welcome to the forum!

Firstly: In my post that you quoted there suddenly is a link to a solo canoe site (linked in the sentence "I like solocanoe"). I never wrote this, no idea how it got there, and actually I know almost nothing about solo canoeing, just do very occasionally some kayaking on lakes and rivers (no real white water)

Regardless: I am not sure if I fully understand your question. I just can say: Like every Spyderco I got the Endura indeed is "really sharp", its VG10 steel makes it easy to KEEP it sharp and its rather thin, full flat grind blade makes for a very good slicer. Also, in my experience it is easily rustproof enough in a NON (!) salty / saltwater enviroment.

If you have further or more precise questions feel free to ask!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

I don't kayak or canoe, but I do spend quite a bit of time on my paddleboard. When I do, I carry my Dragonfly Salt 2 IWB. I also carry it any time I'm going to the beach and/or fishing.

Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Waterway and either a Salt 2 or Pacific Salt are always ready to go on my kayak.