Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
mb1
Member
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:47 am
Location: Southeast, US

Re: Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Postby mb1 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:59 am

I think boating, especially where you’re sitting in tight quarters 100% of the time, is the best case for a neck knife. So I’d give the nod here to the upcoming Swick 5 in LC200N.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man

User avatar
Mushroom
Member
Posts: 2614
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:45 pm
Location: Boston, Ma. U.S.A. Earth

Re: Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Postby Mushroom » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:49 am

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:54 am
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:40 pm
For kayaking, I will usually just carry a SE Salt 1 clipped in waist band.

I actually spoke to someone at Spyderco last time I was there who mentioned keeping a Snap-It Salt hung onto the front of his PFD while kayaking. Sounded like a good idea to me.

:spyder:

Could anyone please explain to me what "pfd" stands for?

Yep, like EZ said, it stands for Personal Flotation Device. It's just another term for a life jacket or life vest.

:spyder:
- Nick

:spyder:

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 2440
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm
Location: East Coast/Nomadic

Re: Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Postby Pelagic » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:50 am

PFD = Personal Floatation Device, yes. I have one on right now (along with long pants and steel toe boots) in 90+ degree weather. It's like a koozie for your body! What JOY.

I'd imagine the enuff or atlantic/pacific salt would be very good for random use and emergencies in a kayak or canoe.
Last edited by Pelagic on Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?

Robbob
Member
Posts: 271
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 8:22 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Postby Robbob » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:01 pm

I did some kayaking just this morning. I had my Native Salt PE in my pocket, but I've been thinking of something for the pocket on my PFD. Perhaps a Salt 2, as it might be the largest that will fit, and I do love them.

I'm also toying with the idea of a Pacific Salt on a retractor that will always stay with the boat. That would especially come in handy whenever I can afford a peddle yak for fishing.

wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 3396
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am

Re: Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Postby wrdwrght » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:02 pm

Enuff Salt sheepsfoot on a PFD sounds about right. Gonna get me one.

User avatar
Peter1960
Member
Posts: 3494
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:54 pm
Location: Austria, Europe

Re: Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Postby Peter1960 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:49 pm

Every time I do white water kayaking I wear an yellow Aqua Salt serrated on my life vest; the pointy blade is useful in emergency case, just as well the serrations and a fixed blade is handy and much easier in rapid use (under water, in waves, hanging in ropes ...).
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto

JohnAPA
Member
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:12 pm

Re: Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Postby JohnAPA » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:08 pm

Went rafting a couple weeks ago. I brought my Autonomy 1. I didn't use it, but it seemed like the right thing to do.

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 18860
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Postby JD Spydo » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:09 pm

mb1 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:59 am
I think boating, especially where you’re sitting in tight quarters 100% of the time, is the best case for a neck knife. So I’d give the nod here to the upcoming Swick 5 in LC200N.
OH that would be a really good one. Have the LC200N Swick along with a full SE Hawkbill like Maybe a Harpy or TASMAN.

I really like the idea of a full Spyderedged Hawkbill and something in the size range of a Harpy would be ideal for many purposes.

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6343
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Postby Wartstein » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:15 am

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:50 am
PFD = Personal Floatation Device, yes. I have one on right now (along with long pants steel toe boots and steel toe boots) in 90+ degree weather. It's like a koozie for your body! What JOY.

I'd imagine the enuff or atlantic/pacific salt would be very good for random use and emergencies in a kayak or canoe.

Thanks, also to mushroom and ez, for clarifying.

/ @ Pelagic: So your new job still is quite a tough one, it seems - ??
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 2440
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm
Location: East Coast/Nomadic

Re: Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Postby Pelagic » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:33 am

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:15 am
Pelagic wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:50 am
PFD = Personal Floatation Device, yes. I have one on right now (along with long pants steel toe boots and steel toe boots) in 90+ degree weather. It's like a koozie for your body! What JOY.

I'd imagine the enuff or atlantic/pacific salt would be very good for random use and emergencies in a kayak or canoe.

Thanks, also to mushroom and ez, for clarifying.

/ @ Pelagic: So your new job still is quite a tough one, it seems - ??
Much better and better pay. But yes, it's hard work. My last job was a grueling 12 hours straight. I get frequent short breaks with this company. I spend a lot of time on tugboats moving anchors and whatnot, not much to do while towing. And people here actually have their own knives! Haha, no more borrowing mine. Everyone loves my byrd rescue 2. They say "now that's a dredgeboater's knife". Can't wait to get a Pac Salt and say goodbye to constant maintenance.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9294
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Postby Doc Dan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:39 am

Back when I used to do a lot of canoeing down a lot of remote rivers I preferred to have a fairly small knife that was clipped somewhere where I can get to it very easily. It would have to be on my body somewhere.

And outdoor edge wedge is a pretty good example And that’s what made me think about the ARK. But a small fixed blade of some kind is also OK. Something in the 3 inch range blade. Just wanted a knife for emergencies and something that would not get in my way.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6343
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Postby Wartstein » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:57 am

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:33 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:15 am
Pelagic wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:50 am
PFD = Personal Floatation Device, yes. I have one on right now (along with long pants steel toe boots and steel toe boots) in 90+ degree weather. It's like a koozie for your body! What JOY.

I'd imagine the enuff or atlantic/pacific salt would be very good for random use and emergencies in a kayak or canoe.

Thanks, also to mushroom and ez, for clarifying.

/ @ Pelagic: So your new job still is quite a tough one, it seems - ??
Much better and better pay. But yes, it's hard work. My last job was a grueling 12 hours straight. I get frequent short breaks with this company. I spend a lot of time on tugboats moving anchors and whatnot, not much to do while towing. And people here actually have their own knives! Haha, no more borrowing mine. Everyone loves my byrd rescue 2. They say "now that's a dredgeboater's knife". Can't wait to get a Pac Salt and say goodbye to constant maintenance.
Glad to hear!! I like hard work, and your job sounds like a cool one. But to be honest: If I had to work physically hard 5 days a week, I am not sure if I´d still like it (I´d fear not having enough energy and strength left for the things (like climbing) I like to do when not working)... so respect to you!

/ Especially Vivis posts made me want to try a Pac Salt (SE) somewhen soon too... My Endela SE showed me, how good serrations really work, the Pac. Salt has exactly my preferred size (Endura-size), and first and foremost: I have to try that mystic serrated H1 for myself (though for example VG10 is more than rustproof enough for my needs. I live far away from the sea, and there are a lot of high mountains between me and any salt water... ;) ). H1 still kind of confuses me... all that being soft but holding an edge greatly, work hardening happens or not, and so on...
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 2440
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm
Location: East Coast/Nomadic

Re: Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Postby Pelagic » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:04 am

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:57 am
Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:33 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:15 am
Pelagic wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:50 am
PFD = Personal Floatation Device, yes. I have one on right now (along with long pants steel toe boots and steel toe boots) in 90+ degree weather. It's like a koozie for your body! What JOY.

I'd imagine the enuff or atlantic/pacific salt would be very good for random use and emergencies in a kayak or canoe.

Thanks, also to mushroom and ez, for clarifying.

/ @ Pelagic: So your new job still is quite a tough one, it seems - ??
Much better and better pay. But yes, it's hard work. My last job was a grueling 12 hours straight. I get frequent short breaks with this company. I spend a lot of time on tugboats moving anchors and whatnot, not much to do while towing. And people here actually have their own knives! Haha, no more borrowing mine. Everyone loves my byrd rescue 2. They say "now that's a dredgeboater's knife". Can't wait to get a Pac Salt and say goodbye to constant maintenance.
Glad to hear!! I like hard work, and your job sounds like a cool one. But to be honest: If I had to work physically hard 5 days a week, I am not sure if I´d still like it (I´d fear not having enough energy and strength left for the things (like climbing) I like to do when not working)... so respect to you!

/ Especially Vivis posts made me want to try a Pac Salt (SE) somewhen soon too... My Endela SE showed me, how good serrations really work, the Pac. Salt has exactly my preferred size (Endura-size), and first and foremost: I have to try that mystic serrated H1 for myself (though for example VG10 is more than rustproof enough for my needs. I live far away from the sea, and there are a lot of high mountains between me and any salt water... ;) ). H1 still kind of confuses me... all that being soft but holding an edge greatly, work hardening happens or not, and so on...
Can't complain. I work 7 days a week 12 hours a day, and this rotation is 4 weeks but I'll soon be on a 2on/1off, 1 week of days, one week of nights, and one off. I'm also one of the very few people who do this work and have a college degree, lol. I always get the "what in the world are you doing out here?" and during hard work "aren't you glad you went to college?". Most of my family is in dredging and I couldn't find something else that paid like this.

Sorry for the off topic responses, but I'll have something on topic in every post. I have a question about serrated H1. I often use my byrd in situations where edge damage is inevitable. The teeth can occasionally chip out in my byrd. I know H1 is far from chippy, but how does it handle damage (contact with steel during a draw cut/slice? Just a minor roll or bunting? Toughness is very high, but how is the strength/stability of the teeth/serrations?
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 18860
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Postby JD Spydo » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:17 pm

5-by-5 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:18 am
Haven't used them this way yet but I plan on clipping a Spyderhawk to pfd and my Tusk at my waist in the future
That would be an awesome combo of blades to carry for marine ventures like white-water rafting and several other adventures on the water.

They might even want to look into making a Hawkbill in the size range of the Spyderhawk with a blunted tip for safety and to give first responders a Hawkbill blade they can use safely.

Whatever you elect to use I would say you can't go wrong with any Spyder that has H-1 or LC200N or any new Nitrogen based blade steel.

User avatar
anycal
Member
Posts: 1549
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:40 pm
Location: California

Re: Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Postby anycal » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:49 pm

Dragonfly seems to like the PM2 :D

I don’t have much to contribute, other than there isn’t much I haven’t used a PM2 for.

Image
Peter

User avatar
NoFair
Member
Posts: 2039
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:23 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Postby NoFair » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:33 pm

SE Salt1 or Pac Salt (SE or PE)

Cscottsss
Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:33 am
Location: Lexington, KY

Re: Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Postby Cscottsss » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:40 am

I use all three of these for any water activities. I keep the Pacific Salt clipped to my PFD for kayak fishing, and either carry the DF2 or Native Salt in my pocket as a backup. For pleasure boating, beach, pool and the lake I always keep the DF2 clipped to my swim trunk pockets.

You really can't go wrong with any salt models IMO. I wouldn't use anything else just because with the salt you don't have to worry about corrosion. Just use and forget.

ImageUntitled by Caleb Bender, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by Caleb Bender, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by Caleb Bender, on Flickr

Candyman
Member
Posts: 366
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:19 pm

Re: Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Postby Candyman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:00 am

My suggestion would be an Autonomy in the pocket, Snapit salt clipped to the backpack and a waterway on the belt.

Rich
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.

rossco599
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:09 pm

Re: Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Postby rossco599 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:21 am

My suggestion would be to try out some knives you all really have. For sailing on my dinghy (looks like a large kayak), I used my delica vg10 for a few years but due to limited use I've been carrying a v-toku2 dragonfly. Something with a short closed length would be good if it's on your waist band. Salt Native or dragonfly.

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 3952
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Best Spydie for kayaking and canoeing...

Postby The Meat man » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:24 pm

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:04 am

Sorry for the off topic responses, but I'll have something on topic in every post. I have a question about serrated H1. I often use my byrd in situations where edge damage is inevitable. The teeth can occasionally chip out in my byrd. I know H1 is far from chippy, but how does it handle damage (contact with steel during a draw cut/slice? Just a minor roll or bunting? Toughness is very high, but how is the strength/stability of the teeth/serrations?

I have found that serrated H-1 is great but not invincible. I've rolled the edge on my Pacific Salt quite badly a couple times, when cutting through very thick, hard plastic pallet banding. I can't say whether or not 8Cr13MoV would have done any better though; probably not.
If I had to guess, I'd bet that H-1 would be more resilient in your situation than 8Cr13MoV.

Here's an interesting thread on the subject:

viewtopic.php?t=81297
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 5-by-5, Albatross, bearfacedkiller, blues, bobnikon, gbcaffee, Google [Bot], legOFwhat?, Lumpy, Majestic-12 [Bot], Mako109, RadioactiveSpyder, rangefinder, sok, steelcity16, The Meat man and 37 guests