Spyderco Province Photos

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Re: Spyderco Province Photos

Post by Ankerson »

Phil Wilson wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:13 pm
HI Jim, nice clean design and shades of the classic Bowie. Good choice on the steel grade and a good balance between ductility and hardness and geometry for edge performance. It was worth waiting for. Congratulations Jim and Spyderco, Phil

Thanks Phil. :)
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Hey Jim,

First off, congratulations! That has to be incredibly thrilling to have your design released into production, and by such a solid company to boot.

I wanted to ask if you could share some of the design thoughts/inspiration on the handle design? I'll go out on a limb and venture to guess you've spent more time with a knife handle in your mitts than many of us combined. So the straight and square nature of the handle wasn't what I was expecting to see from you. I assume either you or Darrin had hand position versatility in mind (?).

Love the blade design as well as the steel choice. :spyder:
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Phil Wilson wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:13 pm
HI Jim, nice clean design and shades of the classic Bowie. Good choice on the steel grade and a good balance between ductility and hardness and geometry for edge performance. It was worth waiting for. Congratulations Jim and Spyderco, Phil
It strips the Bowie format down to the bare essentials. Pure work, no unnecessary design elements anywhere on it.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

mb1 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:56 am
Hey Jim,

First off, congratulations! That has to be incredibly thrilling to have your design released into production, and by such a solid company to boot.

I wanted to ask if you could share some of the design thoughts/inspiration on the handle design? I'll go out on a limb and venture to guess you've spent more time with a knife handle in your mitts than many of us combined. So the straight and square nature of the handle wasn't what I was expecting to see from you. I assume either you or Darrin had hand position versatility in mind (?).

Love the blade design as well as the steel choice. :spyder:

Wanted to keep it simple, pure and versatile as far as use goes.

From my days in the USMC I used a K-BAR most of the time I was in, but I also used a number of other knives too from those cheap survival knives to Randall's and a lot in-between. So I got a pretty good feeling for what works and how things work when out in the field, I spent a lot of time out in the field, a lot of time...

Then take that and all the years testing knives after I sat back and thought about what I believe would make a nice all around field knife.

It had to be light weight, but strong, shouldn't have to use a wheelbarrow to carry it. I mean you have to carry the thing so being light weight matters. It did to me when I was in the USMC I can tell you that.

It had to be versatile for many different types of use while in the field so we put function at the top of the list while staying light weight.

For those who don't know the history of the Bowie, the oldest ones were just basically beefed up kitchen knives, pure and simple performance and function.

So the name Province fits the design. :spyder:
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I don't have the spyderco version so I cannot comment on that, but the custom has great balance and the handle is very comfortable, does not constrain or dictate grip, and is the sort of handle you don't even think about when in use. If I am thinking about a handle, it is probably because it is getting in the way... This one does not.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

It looks glorious in all ways. One of Spyderco's best releases IMHO.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
PStone

Post by PStone »

Just placed my order with CutleryShoppe. Get one while y’all can! :spyder:
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Wow! This is a big upgrade for me... Beauty and the beater:

Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Just snagged one from Knife Center. It's one of those knives that you just have to have if you like full sized knives. 4V, sweet design, Spyderco quality.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Picked mine up yesterday afternoon! Excellent fit and finish and exceptionally sharp with even bevels.

This knife is better than I expected. I turned the box it came in into slithers of cardboard and whittled a little hardwood but lost the light. Looking forward to playing with it over the weekend. :cool:

It’s a bit of a beast and the handle is a little blocky but felt comfortable enough. :)

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Bloke,

Better than you expected? :eek: Certainly! FYI You are better than we expected. :p

sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

sal wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:06 pm
Hey Bloke,

Better than you expected? :eek: Certainly! FYI You are better than we expected. :p

sal
That’s very kind of you Mr Glesser. :o

Many thanks for putting up with my antics. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

abbazaba wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:25 pm
Wow! This is a big upgrade for me... Beauty and the beater:

If you don't beat on the Province, that'd be a terrible waste.