Sage 5 LW - Coming Soon? Specs?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Unadan

Sage 5 LW - Coming Soon? Specs?

Post by Unadan »

Really interested in this knife - can anyone from Spyderco give us a hint as to when it will be released?

Also wondering what the overall width of the Sage 5 will be vs. the Chaparral FRN.
Ez556

Re: Sage 5 LW - Coming Soon? Specs?

Post by Ez556 »

It’d be great if it was thinner like how the Chap LW was thinned out.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ez556 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:55 pm

+1
But I don't know how well a comp lock would work with 2mm blade stock (though a backlock would be great anyway)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Ez556 wrote:
This video shows the Sage 2 being 0.010" BTE as opposed to the Delica's 0.020". I don't know if other Sages have been ground as thin. I think you'd have a better chance of having a grind like the Sage 2 as opposed to blade stock as think as the Chap.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:08 pm
Ez556 wrote:
This video shows the Sage 2 being 0.010" BTE as opposed to the Delica's 0.020". I don't know if other Sages have been ground as thin. I think you'd have a better chance of having a grind like the Sage 2 as opposed to blade stock as think as the Chap.
Now I get it!! Thickness (thinness) behind the edge, not necessarely thin bladestock was meant...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I have to laugh ... this thinness BTE is so special and important to slicing ... then he admits to selling the knife the first time around and buying it because it was being discontinued.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I’m speaking more of the total thickness of the knife, or the handle thickness. The Chap LW is .32” wide whereas the CF Chap is .34” wide, and I believe the Raffir Noble Chap is even wider than that. It would be cool if they shaved the total width down on the Sage 5 with the FRN scales like they did when they made the Chap LW.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ez556 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:18 pm
I’m speaking more of the total thickness of the knife, or the handle thickness. The Chap LW is .32” wide whereas the CF Chap is .34” wide, and I believe the Raffir Noble Chap is even wider than that. It would be cool if they shaved the total width down on the Sage 5 with the FRN scales like they did when they made the Chap LW.
Would be also to my liking. But then there might be indeed to little interface (don´t know if that´s the right term in English?) for the comp. lock left?
In any case: I am sure the thinnest possible comp.lock knife could never be as thin as the thinnest possible backlock knife. Though the 2mm stock might still be enough for the former. Others will know...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:08 pm
Ez556 wrote:
It really is to expect that the Sage is thinner behind the edge and a better slicer than the Para 3: Thinner (but still (too) thick for such a small blade) stock than the imho unnecessary 3.8 mm of the Para 3, plus an equally tall blade- So if there is no unknown hollow grind thing going on with the Para 3, the Sage must be a better slicer given they have a about the same edge angle...

That the Delica should be THAT much thicker behind the edge than the Sage confuses me a bit though tbh..
zippifish

Post by zippifish »

Sage 5 LW blade thickness will be .118 " (3mil), Para 3 .145" (3.7mil) not sure how wide the handle will be but I hope it's not too thin, don't mind a thinner handle and blade on a smaller knife like the Chap LW, DF2 but a 3 inch plus blade I want a handle that fills the hand.

Have a TRM Atom with a 3.5" blade, 8 3-16" in length and the handle is just .390 wide and it's too thin for anything other than light duty imo, feels great in the pocket though. It also has a blade that is only .090 thick with a full flat grind so it's a slicer but I have to say and I find it funny when someone says a Para 3 isn't a good slicer, used both these back to back and the Para 3 holds it's own no problem.

Don't own a Sage 5 because of the weak detent which isn't a problem on the Para 3, the reason why I'm interested in the Sage 5 LW is because from what I understand the compression lock has been redesigned and is what's being used on the Ikuchi, hopefully the weak detent has been addressed.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

The cutting geometry on my sage 5 is pretty good, probably the best of any model I own, except for maybe my urban kw. My bte measurement was around .016/.017. Pretty much everything else I've measured was .020 or greater, although a lot of them had been sharpened and reprofiled before I got my calipers. .010 bye would be ideal, but .015 is good enough in my book.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

shameless bump. looking for a date or a time when it will be announce as ready.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Waiting for another blade steel on this LW Sage 5.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Since the Sage line has always been about the lock, does anybody think the LW series will go through the four other locks? I'm inclined to say "no" especially since a FRN frame lock would be interesting to say the least. But I could see how some people wouldn't mind the other three locks.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

p_atrick wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:57 am
Since the Sage line has always been about the lock, does anybody think the LW series will go through the four other locks? I'm inclined to say "no" especially since a FRN frame lock would be interesting to say the least. But I could see how some people wouldn't mind the other three locks.
How would they make a LW frame lock?
Only one scale could be FRN.
I'd imagine it would require a liner in the show side.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Marulaghost wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:20 am
How would they make a LW frame lock?
That's kinda my point. If they could only do the LW versions of the Sage 1, 3, 4, and 5 it doesn't really make sense (at least to me) to release an "incomplete" set of LW Sages. Since the compression lock is the iconic Spyderco lock, I am guess that the LW version will be of the Sage 5 and only the Sage 5. That's too bad, because a back lock version would be pretty sweet (though it may be too similar to the Native 5 LW).