"Most Durable" available Spyderco Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

"Most Durable" available Spyderco Knife?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I know this can get a little subjective at times but in a general sense, based on what you all know, and you can include discontinued models from the past, as well as available models from the current lineup, folding and fixed, which Spyderco knives are, in your opinion, the toughest and most durable when it comes to real-world cutting and other uses?

In the folder category, would it be something like the Pacific Salt, Serrated Edge ?
vivi

Re: "Most Durable" available Spyderco Knife?

Post by vivi »

Aqua Salt. Sal sent me one over a decade ago and told me to beat it up and see what happened. All these years later it still has decades of life left in it. I've been out in the snowy woods drunk, batoning and prying wood with it more times than a responsible person could count, and it keeps coming back asking for more.

I've purchased over 30 fixed blades since then, some production, some custom. Out of all my non-folding knives, the Aqua Salt remains a favorite. In fact I plan to treat myself to a serrated Aqua Salt for my birthday.
Last edited by vivi on Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spontaneously out of all I currently own I'd pick my Endura sabregrind in VG 10. Stronger than I'll ever need it to be probably...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Probably anything in H1 and frn.
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

It will really depend on what you plan on doing with the knife. I can attest to the Pacific Salt SE holding up to taking a punishment. It is probably my most used knife for all kinds of things - food prep, bags of concrete, packages, cardboard duty, small tree branches, and even batoning (don't recommend it though). Serrated H1 is pretty awesome stuff. In fact, I should get another.
Last edited by FullFlatMind on Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Definitely something in H1 and a fixed blade. I'd imagine an Enuff is nearly indestructible. They're fairly thick and short so you can only put so much leverage on them, compared to something 10 inches long that is much easier to bend if you really lean on it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:51 am
Definitely something in H1 and a fixed blade. I'd imagine an Enuff is nearly indestructible. They're fairly thick and short so you can only put so much leverage on them, compared to something 10 inches long that is much easier to bend if you really lean on it.
The best part about h1 is you can bend it back. Not sure how many times you can do it but I've done it with the tips of 2 knives so far.
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Give me a Shaman in H1 and I'll never need another knife.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
jdw

Post by jdw »

For a folder, hands down a GB1. It's a tank. For a fixed blade I have 20CV Mule and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Rocksalt?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
standy99

Post by standy99 »

jdw wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:53 am
For a folder, hands down a GB1. It's a tank. For a fixed blade I have 20CV Mule and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Another vote for the GB1 Rock solid......
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Probably the Shaman, and definitely the shaman when it comes in some tougher steels like cruwear. Thicker stock, strong tip, and superior lock.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

VashHash wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:34 am
Probably anything in H1 and frn.
This.
PE is more durable than SE, at least my experience leads me to that.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:32 pm
Probably the Shaman, and definitely the shaman when it comes in some tougher steels like cruwear. Thicker stock, strong tip, and superior lock.
In my reply I choose the Endura 4 in sabre grind out of all the Spydies I currently own.
When thinking of all Spydies I ever handled I was thinking of the Shaman too..
But then I feel that the low sabre grind and the backlock make the sg Endura still even stronger imho. Just guessing of course, both Shaman and Endura are stronger than needed.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Username827

Post by Username827 »

I got a Manix 2 in Cruwear and Salt 2....definitely what I am gonna grab for a beater
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:26 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:32 pm
In my reply I choose the Endura 4 in sabre grind out of all the Spydies I currently own.
When thinking of all Spydies I ever handled I was thinking of the Shaman too..
But then I feel that the low sabre grind and the backlock make the sg Endura still even stronger imho. Just guessing of course, both Shaman and Endura are stronger than needed.

Yep, the saber ground CE versions of the Endura and Delica are very durable. I really hope that the Police LW and Endela gets the Folaiage Green and Black/Black Saber Ground CE treatment.

The SE Pacific Salt is great, but the lack of liners makes me think it won't be as durable as the Endura in the long term.

The Natives are all little tanks as well. Especially the original linered Native 5. But the Native 5 LW Salt would probably be a knife that will last forever between the LC200N blade and for how strong it is even without liners.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Username827

Post by Username827 »

Forgot about that Shaman in Cruwear....that is gonna be awesome!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I would think the Rock Salt. But also the H1 Enuff. You can still find Pygmy Warriors too. I don't know how you could break that thing and the bd1 steel is very tough in my uses for a stainless.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Pac Salt in spyderedge would be my best bet ! It's the folder I would take with me in a trip around the world !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

When it comes to being durable.
Only one knife stands out in my collection.
The original big boy C95 Manix! Now that is a knife build to last several lifetimes :D