Military 2. What exactly is going on?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: Military 2. What exactly is going on?

Post by kennethsime »

I really didn't like the looks of the new Stretch when it was announced, but now that I have one in hand (and don't have my original ZDP Stretch) I can't tell the difference (and I still love it). I feel like Sal, or more likely Eric as he seems to be doing more designing lately, will do a fantastic job.

I said something similar to this about the Para 2 LW, but I don't think Spyderco would release a Military 2 unless it was a fantastic knife, and true to the original. Not only does Spyderco usually do great work, but the long lineage of the Military demands a fantastic sequel. And Spyderco doesn't like to disappoint.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Any actual news on the Military 2? Besides speculations? 🤔
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:01 am
I fear that what may be happening here is, as time goes by people's needs are filled by other models, and even though we have this thread and seemingly lots of interest, if the sales of the standard Military are down they may not see a need for a Military 2. I know personally at this point this knife will have to be really really special to replace my Caribbean, and as time goes by people's tastes evolve just as mine have so I wonder how it'll be received if/when it does come out.
I've not owned or got to test drive a "Caribbean" model as of yet. But there is little that could sway me to no longer EDC my beloved, hallowed M390 Military. A newer/better blade steel would be the persuading factor that would sway me to jump ship at this point. And the C-36 Military seems to be the model that successfully introduces new blade steels in grand fashion.

My wildest fantasy would be to see a Military 2 model with a ball bearing lock. I can deploy a Ball Bearing Lock pretty quickly now that I've gotten use to using them on my Dodo models. But a new C-60 Ayoob model with a supersteel would take all bets off the table. But you can be assured that the hierarchy of the Great Spyder Factory are watching these threads to determine what would be ideal to replace the original Military model.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I handled the Military 2 Prototype at SHOT last year.

It's awesome, and I will buy one when it comes out. All I can say its what we would logically expect to see in an upgraded Military.

My only comment is that I hope the Military 2 maintains the Black, scratch proof coating used in the current Military Pocket Clip, which I believe is either a nitride or DLC coating. It's a substantially more scratch proof coating then I see on my other Spyderco pocket clips.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

mark greenman wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:06 pm

It's awesome, and I will buy one when it comes out. All I can say its what we would logically expect to see in an upgraded Military.

My only comment is that I hope the Military 2 maintains the Black, scratch proof coating used in the current Military Pocket Clip, which I believe is either a nitride or DLC coating. It's a substantially more scratch proof coating then I see on my other Spyderco pocket clips.
Wow, this is the first time I've heard that they let the prototype "out of the house," so to speak. I hope that means it's ready soon!

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

All this time teleworking I’ve been carrying my cruwear millie. I really like the form factor. It’s versatile, and no longer seems huge. Seems just right.

Some interesting thoughts on sales or lack thereof of the millie. Basically, I won’t buy anything in s30v. I’m interested in the tool steels, and more recently LC200N because I live in Florida and rustproof is useful. I’d be interested in a millie 2. But someone else will have to buy the s30v versions, and I’ll have to wait for sprints and exclusives.

Now if the Millie 2 comes out in SPY27? Well that sounds interesting enough to try out of the gate.
brj

Post by brj »

Still dreaming of that LC200N with yellow G-10 handles Millie, but I'm pretty sure I'll buy any other model coming out
prsman

Post by prsman »

brj wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:45 pm
Still dreaming of that LC200N with yellow G-10 handles Millie, but I'm pretty sure I'll buy any other model coming out
That would be an epic knife 🤜

LC200N is incredible.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Still waiting for Military 2)
brj

Post by brj »

If by Military 2 you mean the stop lock version, all signs indicate that we might get the 1.5 version first (comp lock) :)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

brj wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:34 am
If by Military 2 you mean the stop lock version, all signs indicate that we might get the 1.5 version first (comp lock) :)
After studying Parata videos, I guess my stop-lock interest has waned. And, after carrying my 204P And 52100 Millies for the past month, I see no compelling reason for a tip-up or comp-lock version. So, that’s an extra 1.5/2.0 Millie for someone else.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mark greenman wrote:

That's a good point you make about the pocket clips being vulnerable to scratching and abrasions. It's kind of frustrating to have the entire knife look good and then over time to see the pocketclip eventually get scratched up and making the knife looking far older and far more used than it actually has been. I've changed clips on my user C-60 Ayoob at least twice in the past 5 years.

You would think that with all the super hard epoxy coatings that they have brought to market that they could make progress in this area.

The Military or Military 2 in this case should be a step up in quality even with something as minor as the pocketclip.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I actually love a worn in clip on a user knife. Character and all that.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:33 am
I actually love a worn in clip on a user knife. Character and all that.
I agree.
anycal

Post by anycal »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:00 am
mark greenman wrote:

That's a good point you make about the pocket clips being vulnerable to scratching and abrasions. It's kind of frustrating to have the entire knife look good and then over time to see the pocketclip eventually get scratched up and making the knife looking far older and far more used than it actually has been. I've changed clips on my user C-60 Ayoob at least twice in the past 5 years.

You would think that with all the super hard epoxy coatings that they have brought to market that they could make progress in this area.

The Military or Military 2 in this case should be a step up in quality even with something as minor as the pocketclip.

There are at least two types of coating on the black pocket clips. And they definitely wear differently - chipping vs fading. The Golden coated clips do have that fading type of coating, which tends to scratch better. Now if you scratch them deep enough, you will expose the underlying steel.
Peter
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

A Millie 2.... with comp lock.

Sounds good as long I can still close it one handed with any style of gloves on. Rigging gloves, cold weather gloves, even HD freezer gloves are all good to go with the normal millie! None of these can I operate a para.

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

Will this be S45VN?
sup3rnaut

Post by sup3rnaut »

SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:48 pm
Will this be S45VN?
The initial Mil2’s will be S30V, according to dealers’ product descriptions.
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

sup3rnaut wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:58 pm
Ugh... FFS
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:24 pm
sup3rnaut wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:58 pm
Ugh... FFS
Humor me here: how can you tell the difference between the two?