Military 2. What exactly is going on?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
5-by-5

Re: Military 2. What exactly is going on?

Post by 5-by-5 »

If I had to submit to the heresy of changing the military, I would go with the power lock hands down
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:04 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:12 pm
Vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:52 pm
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:22 pm
Concerning "tough to close one handed": I strongly assume (but still just assume), that it is like with the backlock: One finds it tough to close one handed just initially when new to the lock , and has to figure out how-to-do and practice a bit before it comes easy and natural.
You are assuming incorrectly.

The Stop Lock is strong I wish to make this understood. A VERY VERY STRONG LOCK. Strong as in you are not going to accidentally disengage it due to the strength of the spring. This is also what makes it impracticable to close with one hand.

If you say so, I certainly believe you! I never tried a stop lock myself.

Just tought, there might be certain methods and skills and maybe finger strength, one has to find out and develop and practice before the lock gets easy to use.
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ferider

Post by ferider »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:39 pm
So with the stop lock being on the market with no update on the Military 2 in years, it begs the question I asked: What happened to this model?

I finally got a reply from Spyderco, Vivi, on the respective question that I emailed them a week ago.

Good news, you are right, the Military 2 is still in development, in fact it is nearing production, to be included in one of the next 3 reveals. It has a stop lock, is linerless/LW, and will be named "Mini-Military" (MM-LW). The stop lock implementation in the MM-LW will be the strongest Spyderco lock yet, and the 2.5" blade (the MM will also be referred to as "PM4") will come with either S30V or K390 blades. The FRN scales will be zebra striped in purple and yellow.

:

:

J/K :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:18 pm
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:04 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:12 pm
Vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:52 pm

Concerning "tough to close one handed": I strongly assume (but still just assume), that it is like with the backlock: One finds it tough to close one handed just initially when new to the lock , and has to figure out how-to-do and practice a bit before it comes easy and natural.
You are assuming incorrectly.

The Stop Lock is strong I wish to make this understood. A VERY VERY STRONG LOCK. Strong as in you are not going to accidentally disengage it due to the strength of the spring. This is also what makes it impracticable to close with one hand.

If you say so, I certainly believe you! I never tried a stop lock myself.

Just tought, there might be certain methods and skills and maybe finger strength, one has to find out and develop and practive before the lock gets easy to use.
Oh I know what you meant and before going to work today gave it a few tries in a few different ways. I wear XL Gloves and often could use them a little larger, my grip is very strong,

( Gee Why do I feel like I just Baited Bloke?)

The issue is the stop lock engages very deeply in the handle so not only is the spring very strong there is a great deal of travel to disengage the lock.

I think it might be easier in a straighter handle. The parata curves allot in the palm When I get home tonight I will put some real effort into it and give you a better report.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:00 pm
my grip is very strong
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

ferider wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:44 pm
Vivi wrote:
So with the stop lock being on the market with no update on the Military 2 in years, it begs the question I asked: What happened to this model?

I finally got a reply from Spyderco, Vivi, on the respective question that I emailed them a week ago.

Good news, you are right, the Military 2 is still in development, in fact it is nearing production, to be included in one of the next 3 reveals. It has a stop lock, is linerless/LW, and will be named "Mini-Military" (MM-LW). The stop lock implementation in the MM-LW will be the strongest Spyderco lock yet, and the 2.5" blade (the MM will also be referred to as "PM4") will come with either S30V or K390 blades. The FRN scales will be zebra striped in purple and yellow.

:

:

You almost had me. :p
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

ferider wrote:
Vivi wrote:

:

:

Haha, you had me until mini-millie, which is when I caught on ;)
:unicorn
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

These were my thoughts as I was reading this...
ferider wrote:
Good news, you are right, the Military 2 is still in development, in fact it is nearing production, to be included in one of the next 3 reveals.
’Oh wow! I’m surprised it’s that close!’
It has a stop lock, is linerless/LW, and will be named "Mini-Military" (MM-LW).
’Wow, that’s a direction I wouldn’t think they’d go with it...’
The stop lock implementation in the MM-LW will be the strongest Spyderco lock yet, and the 2.5" blade (the MM will also be referred to as "PM4") will come with either S30V or K390 blades.
’Well that seems like a waste of such a strong lock. I’m glad they gave it steel choices right off the bat, but they already have two smaller versions of the military, it’s kind of a waste of the lock, especially with FRN. How does this guy know so much anyways?’
The FRN scales will be zebra striped in purple and yellow.
’... wait a minute...’
:rolleyes:
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:38 pm
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:00 pm
my grip is very strong
Yep there it is :) hi Bloke
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Stop Lock.

No go on the one handed closing I can MAKE IT HAPPEN but it is not safe. I can get the lock pulled up with index finger and thumb but it is clumsy and difficult to get it high enough up to shake the blade loose.

I think with a straighter handle this would be easier.

One thing is for certain the stop lock is not something to be concerned about easily or accidentally disengaging.
araneae

Post by araneae »

The stop lock I played with at Blade was very easily operated as I recall. I'm not a huge Military fan, but it has been a long time that this one's been on the burner. Will be interesting to see if Sal weighs in.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

A difficult lock can completely destroy the reputation of an otherwise great model. The D'Allara 3 and Positron come to mind as examples. So it wouldn't surprise me if they were waiting to see how the stop lock is received on other models before releasing the Military 2.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:02 pm
A difficult lock can completely destroy the reputation of an otherwise great model.
Absolutely true. I think this is why there are mixed feelings about the manix (some love the CBBL lock, some hate it), and a big reason the pm2 and Para 3 are so popular amongst the masses. Ease of use becomes the most important issue, as all of Spyderco's locks are executed well with formidable strength and good tolerances. I'm sure choosing lock types is a huge decision in the design of any model.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Speaking of Stop Lock, is there a video showing disassembly of Parata? Nick Shabazz, you batman face, where are you, we need you!
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sal replies to the Swick thread three times and ignores this topic.

Haha, I kid. I'm happy with the Police 4, Police lightweight and Native Chief when it comes to large folders :D

Maybe we'll see a stop lock Millie, maybe we won't. Either way, the Military 1 is a classic that I'm thankful was ever made. The size to weight ratio and the perfect liner lock execution are still remarkable to this day.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:59 am

Haha, I kid. I'm happy with the Police 4, Police lightweight and Native Chief when it comes to large folders :D

Maybe we'll see a stop lock Millie, maybe we won't. Either way, the Military 1 is a classic that I'm thankful was ever made. The size to weight ratio and the perfect liner lock execution are still remarkable to this day.
Hey Vivi, not having a chop at you or anyone mate but I try to put myself in Mr Glesser's shoes for a moment; he's design arguably the best large folder on the market yet we geniuses tell him often enough we reckon we know how to make it even more betterer. :o

Fairly easy to see he'd be thinking here we go again. :(

What could he possibly contribute other than to say, 'Yeah good on yahs, ... thanks for the great ideas. I'll see what I can do.' :rolleyes:
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Sal values all the input here. I don't think he's rolling his eyes at suggestions or hints as to where the market is headed. Hardly anyone wants the military replaced. But to you'd have to be very biased towards the model not to see room for minor improvements. Spyderco has their CQI program for a reason, and it isn't because they don't put a ton of time and effort into original designs. It's because nothing is perfect.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’m waiting on an updated military 2 like many people. The original military is a fantastic knife but there are a few things that need tweaking (for me) before I buy another. Most of those things have been mentioned a million times over so I won’t get into it. I’ll just say that the Chief has satisfies my need for a large lightweight slicey knife. I’m a happy camper.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:40 pm
Sal values all the input here. I don't think he's rolling his eyes at suggestions or hints as to where the market is headed. Hardly anyone wants the military replaced. But to you'd have to be very biased towards the model not to see room for minor improvements. Spyderco has their CQI program for a reason, and it isn't because they don't put a ton of time and effort into original designs. It's because nothing is perfect.
Fair enough on the input!

What do you reckon would make the Military perfect ... stronger tip, holes all over the scales, different lock?

Quite bizarre. :confused:

Ask for any knife you like Hitch ... everybody else does so why not?

Here’s where I take a little exception; the knife you and others want is not a Military that’s for sure! You want a power lock Military, Joe Blogs wants a compression lock Military. Jimmy Brings won’t buy one because he only carries tip up. It goes on and on but none of the knives described are a Military, not even close. :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:00 pm
Vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:59 am

Hey Vivi, not having a chop at you or anyone mate but I try to put myself in Mr Glesser's shoes for a moment; he's design arguably the best large folder on the market yet we geniuses tell him often enough we reckon we know how to make it even more betterer. :o

Fairly easy to see he'd be thinking here we go again. :(

What could he possibly contribute other than to say, 'Yeah good on yahs, ... thanks for the great ideas. I'll see what I can do.' :rolleyes:
The Military 2 is Sal's idea, not mine. I'm just asking if he's still planning to make his idea. Why would Sal be upset that someone is interested in a knife he designed?