EDC, or rotation?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you have an EDC, or a rotation?

I carry the same knife every day
28%
I carry the same model every day, but rotate between different versions
7%
I rotate which knife I carry at least once a week
40%
I rotate which knife I carry daily
25%

Total votes: 83

JD Spydo

Re: EDC, or rotation?

Post by JD Spydo »

I guess you could say that I implement both. I do rotate from time to time but overall I have one main EDC at this time. Which is my hallowed, beloved M390 Military model ( PE). I also have a serrated companion folder EDC which is a stainless handled ATS-55 RESCUE model.

But there are days every now and then that I go to my footlocker and dig out whatever model that just might appeal to me at that given time.

I've just gotten to where I want what I think would be best for that day's given chores.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm super monogamous, it's the same knife for me for extended periods. I've really narrowed down what I like so anything else is more of a novelty use than a true everyday carry.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I would vote for "Other" as well. I've never really given myself an ultimatum as to how I carry my knives. It changes all the time. When I get a new model, I will typically carry it for a few weeks or so until I decide to change it up. Sometimes I'll carry a model for a day sometimes for a couple months.

I guess I would say I rotate through my collection and don't carry any one knife for extended periods anymore. I will often carry a secondary knife, like the Squarehead or Ladybug and tend to rotate those out less frequently.
-Nick :bug-red
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I can’t really vote in the poll as none of the option quite fit. These days I’d say 90% of the time I’ve got the Smock in pocket but like to switch it up every now and then. Ikuchi or my old Cruwear Manix 2 like to sneak in lately. Also I usually carry a traditional in my back pocket as well. Sometimes just a traditional and no Spydie if you can believe it!?!
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I usually change it up every few days.. or based on specific uses, environments, etc. For example, next week I'm on vacation at the beach and I imagine my Native Salt will be my primary carry the whole time.

When I was more poor than I am now, I was a one knife kinda guy.. now that I've been able to grow my collection, I feel bad letting a knife sit for too long without getting carried, so I try to rotate through them all. Some certainly see more pocket time then others though..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Of coarse Spyderco makes so many great knives it is hard to always have only one. This is especially true with the pocket knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I change the Spydie I carry in my RFP on a whim.

My choice usually keeps me happy for about a week (hence my vote). But as the week progresses, other Spydies in my collection usually come to mind.

Maybe I want to try a different steel, or size, or weight, or grip for the same task (as if to compare), or to see what a member has discovered or claimed about a model we both have (such as Wartstein’s exhortations on the Stretch), or just to revisit my reasons for a Spydie I “needed” (the Southard keeps coming up short).

Whatever, I’m rarely without a Manbug SE Salt or Ladybug Hawkbill SE Salt in my LFP. Although I rarely use either, it covers me when I’ve forgotten to pocket my main Spydie after fondling or maintenance, or when I need an SE, or need to be discrete.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ferider

Post by ferider »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:13 am
I was curious if anyone else generally carries the same knife day to day VS having a rotation?
I'm almost there, Vivi, but unfortunately that knife is not a Spyderco.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'd love to carry the same knife everyday, even if only for a week, and not touch it up until it's put down after that week...really learn about the steel and sharpening that way. But, of the 14 I have that are in my regular rotation...it's impossible for me to grab the same knife everyday. I have used the same knife for maybe 2-3 days in a row if it's a new design and steel to me. Otherwise, it's something different in the pocket every day as a primary knife. Even now, for my small folders (Dragonfly and Urban) my new SAK is taking some time away from them!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

99% Salt 2 SE
1% Dragonfly 2 Salt PE
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Large rotation of about 30 to 50 spyderco’s. Don’t know how many exactly. Haven’t counted in a while. Only a few don’t get used and that’s because I don’t like that model, not because it’s a safe queen. Lots of para 3, and caly family get used. This week has been dodo, chubby, and serrated micarta caly jr.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I rotate with semi-regularity, but the 52100 Military flies into my hand like Luke's light saber lolol (I'm hearing that %#$& trumpet music, and I'm not even a fan of those silly films haha)
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Right now I carry a Spartan Enyo (S35VN) neck knife, and two ZT 0095 BLKTAN (S90V) folders.

However!!!! I am sending in one of my Spyderco Yojimbo 2s (20CV, CF) for serrations to Tom Veff. I've read about and seen videos on Veff Serrations and I am a firm believer in them. Once I get the knife back, I'll go back to carrying my Yojimbo 2's (both of them) every day.

I'm also slowly building up my Hawaiian shirt collection, and once I have at least 5 of them, I'll be carrying a Winkler Knives WKII Pathfinder Fixed Blade - OR - a Winkler Knives WKII Jaeger Fixed Blade. I considered a fanny or over the shoulder pack, but deployment would be way too slow.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I've been slowing down on my rotations but i do rotate.

At my college office job, I really can't carry anything more than a natural handle material traditional so as not to frighten. So, I do rotate those out based on my mood. They all work about the same. All GEC, for the most part.

When I'm not at work, I generally carry a traditional, a modern, and a fixed blade. Usually a GEC, Spyderco, and a LT Wright. I try to pick ones that fit what I'm doing. Tonight, I'm going out downtown to nightlife, so no fixed blade. I'm bringing the Chap lw with the clip removed, a small wharncliffe traditional in my coin pocket, and the s110v Military. I feel pretty well rounded.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I rotate my knives, but usually only once every couple weeks. I've been carrying the BBS M390 Delica pretty much exclusively ever since they were released.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I was going one knife per week for awhile but I realized that I had enough knives in my rotation that it was taking a long time to get back to a specific knife so I went to about 1/2 week per knife.

I've read of people who couldn't determine what knife to carry each day, and people complained that a knife wasn't getting any use so they had to sell it. I decided if I go in order through the rotation and carry each knife a certain amount of time, I don't have to decide which knife to grab every morning and they all get equal use. Occasionally I will lay them all out and arrange them into a new carry order. I can mix it up according to blade material, knife model, handle color/material, lock type, whatever. When I have them in order I put them into my plastic storage case. Monday morning I pull the next one out and carry it, then Thursday morning I put it back and get the next one. Nothing to worry about, nothing to agonize over.
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Well I had been packing my P4 in K390 but like you Vivi mine started to rust. So I've rotated to a military s110v. But I had stuck with that P4 for a good while and got way use to it. Matter of fact I was kinda lost as what to carry. Which has never happened before! I got a preorder on the new LW police coming out which I'm super excited about, but just yesterday I put an order in for the Native Chief and really like everything about it. The shape, ergos, and backlock are all a win for me. I got so use to that backlock that anything else is sub par. Not sure why it took me so long to jump on the NC bandwagon but at least I made it and think it could be my carry everyday knife for a good while. It's funny how our habits change as our tastes are refined. I use to rotate a lot but that P4 put a stop to that.
vivi

Post by vivi »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:33 pm
Well I had been packing my P4 in K390 but like you Vivi mine started to rust. So I've rotated to a military s110v. But I had stuck with that P4 for a good while and got way use to it. Matter of fact I was kinda lost as what to carry. Which has never happened before! I got a preorder on the new LW police coming out which I'm super excited about, but just yesterday I put an order in for the Native Chief and really like everything about it. The shape, ergos, and backlock are all a win for me. I got so use to that backlock that anything else is sub par. Not sure why it took me so long to jump on the NC bandwagon but at least I made it and think it could be my carry everyday knife for a good while. It's funny how our habits change as our tastes are refined. I use to rotate a lot but that P4 put a stop to that.
A rust proof Police would be just perfect for me :)

Native Chief has been on my to buy list since it was announced, but I'm waiting until fall. Nothing is kicking the Pacific Salt out of my pocket until summer is over.
:unicorn
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Carry the same knife every day but rotate every couple of months

Delica wharncliffe in SE for a few months lately replaced the Camo Parra3 that was probably 7 months.
Pingo in work bag for probably 5 years

Salt1 and Pacific Salts get used on boat each weekend
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:42 pm
marty_bill_ wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:33 pm
A rust proof Police would be just perfect for me :)

Native Chief has been on my to buy list since it was announced, but I'm waiting until fall. Nothing is kicking the Pacific Salt out of my pocket until summer is over.
Yeah I was wondering about that. I looked all over that NC thread to see if you'd picked one up and what your impressions were. Well I look forward to what you think of it and to the LW P4 release. Because I to have really grown to appreciate that model. I have large hands and the P4 fits my needs perfectly.