Why the lil native...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lonerider1013

Why the lil native...

Post by lonerider1013 »

So I love my dragonfly, carry either the vg10 or the h1 version a lot, especially in summer when biking etc.
But the other day I snagged the clip on something and bent it. Not enuff to damage it just enuff to make it loose. Bent it back it's fine. But this raises a question:" people have often asked why the lil native given its blade size is so similar to the dragonfly. I would argue perhaps the lil native (I own one) has a role with those who love the dragonfly but want something a little more hard wearing. Dragonfly's lightweight is one of its strengths but this can also be a downside too at times. FYI I love the wire clip I imagine bending it was a freak accident (I was unloading a truck in 99 degree temps and was not being careful not to brush against things for obvious reasons) based on circumstance and the shorts I was wearing and how it sat in the pocket, but nevertheless if you want a knife similar is size etc to the dragonfly the lil native lockback is similar but built less with lightweight in mind.

(Of course tho i love my lil native what this means is it's an excuse to get a third dragonfly (for it's clip) lol.)
Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Enactive

Re: Why the lil native...

Post by Enactive »

You can get replacement clips directly from Spyderco for reasonable $.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My only issue with the Dragonfly is every one I have has started to spin the whole pivot pin inside the FRN, making them impossible to take apart. It's not the end of the world but it's annoying. Ergonomically I'd like to compare it to the Lil Native because I like knives with little or no thumb ramp.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Compression lock!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Lil Native is for those who want a more substantial knife than the Dragonfly with less cost and more useful attributes than either Techno.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Lil’ Native fits my largish hand just right. I’m glad to have this masterpiece.

My G10 and Salt DF2s are just a little off for me ergonomically. Moreover, the top of their thumb ramps is a tad too pointed for my thumb and, because I don’t use these DF2s much, I haven’t bothered to “soften” them. Could I make do with one as-is? Of course.

But, to answer the question, I think the Lil’ Native arrived to get a spare but sturdy Spydie made in the US that would be acceptable in most jurisdictions (and happen to answer to the current appeal of small knives), AND that could feature a wider range of steels (American and European), AND that could offer a choice of Golden-perfected locks (back-and compression-) OR NO LOCK AT ALL!?

And in my make-believe world, Spyderco needed to bookend its fantastic Native series, with the increasingly long Native5, Shaman, and Chief between the huge Tatanka (hey, that’s a Lakota word) at one end and the tiny Lil’Native at the other. Well, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. :p
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I wanted something similar in size to my Dragonfly, Df is nice but too small in hand and not a fan of wire clips. Lil’ Native backlock fills the hand more and has a better clip. Prob would have got the compression lock version though if it had the right clip.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Monty

Post by Monty »

spyderg wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:42 pm
I wanted something similar in size to my Dragonfly, Df is nice but too small in hand and not a fan of wire clips. Lil’ Native backlock fills the hand more and has a better clip. Prob would have got the compression lock version though if it had the right clip.
I'm in this boat, don't trust the wire clips so the lil native compression lock with a spoon clip would fill most of my edc/fidget needs. Since it has the wire clip, I've felt no need to replace the dragonfly I carry on a short lanyard with carabineer clip.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Monty wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:11 pm
spyderg wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:42 pm
I'm in this boat, don't trust the wire clips so the lil native compression lock with a spoon clip would fill most of my edc/fidget needs. Since it has the wire clip, I've felt no need to replace the dragonfly I carry on a short lanyard with carabineer clip.
It’s not that I don’t trust the wire clip, it’s just a horrible hot spot and they very annoyingly move around in use. I’ve recently made a little insert that reduces the hotspot enough that I can use a light duty wire clipped knife like the Ikuchi, but I can’t see ever using a Manix equipped with a wire clip.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Lil Native is very nice in the hand and seems very robust. Could it use a larger pivot?

I got the backlock and cannot be more pleased. I would like an frn lightweight though.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i personally have no desire for such a small blade, but my office has ridiculous rules. i currently carry a df2 salt at work, but would love to replace it with a lil native for multiple reasons. i enjoy the comp lock, i like dlc, and i want something that feels overbuilt just because i prefer the feel when i’m fidgeting with it. it’s the perfect little big knife. a version in lc200n would make it better though. ;)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I have both a Dragonfly 2 I use at work and a Lil’ Native I have in my carry rotation. Being practically the same size, I MUCH prefer the Native over the Dragonfly. The pointy thumb ramp is nice, but I also find it can get in the way, but most of all I much prefer the broader handle on the Native. I actually very much dislike the handle on the Dragonfly, so much so that I don’t think I’d ever buy one again. The scoop out of the belly of the handle ruins it for me, there’s either a gap between the handle and my middle and ring fingers, or if I hold the handle tight with no gap, my nails are digging into the palm of my hand. If the grip was more straight across like a Delica or something it would be fine, but with the handle thinning out so much in the middle like that, it just doesn’t work for me. I can comfortably grip the Native as hard as I can on the other hand, and it fills my hand out as to be comfortable when doing so. Needless to say, when the Lil’ Native LW comes out it will be replacing my Dragonfly and I’ll probably give it away.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
benben

Post by benben »

I had no idea I’d love my Lil’ Native as much as I do! I like my Dragonfly’s, I have 3 of them, I just don’t see them ever getting carried anymore!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

We need more versions with colors, steels, and scale choices. A Salt and a light weight are good starting places...in a back lock.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I’ve asked in the past about a Lil’ Native LW and Sal said Eric was working on one. At the time I didn’t imagine a LW with a comp lock was possible, but once the Para 3 LW dropped I guess it would be possible! That being said, I think I’d prefer an FRN Lil’ Native with a lockback, and I agree that more colors and a salt would be great. I’d buy a blue Lil’ Native LW in BD1N in a heartbeat. Or orange in the same configuration for work.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

if they made it lw, there would be basically zero reason to buy it over a dragonfly. i don’t need a stout blade in a less robust handle. i’m not knocking the frn/frcp at all, but i already have a lw small knife in the df2 salt. the reason to buy a lil native is to have something more robust with g10 and liners. the lil native is only 2.5 ounces as it is. why does it need to be lighter? you can barely feel that little weight clipped to a pocket or waistband.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I hear you. One of the reasons that i would like to have A light weight is because like the urban light weight the handle fills my hand a little better than the dragonfly. Dragonfly is good but is not as hand filling.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050